My Midwife apt today at 34 weeks - I'm all confused.......

glittergirl

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

Just come back from my midwife appointment and as the title says i am well confused.

Please can you help put a few things straight in my head.

There was a student midwife in with us and i said i didn't mind her getting involved checking baby's position, heartbeat etc. So my usual midwife does her bit first then says to other girl ok you have a go and check position tell me what you think.

This is what she has written in my notes --- Ceph which i know is head down as it says that on my 2 previous visits but next to it it now says 3/5 engaged :shock: Also there is a column which says Relation to Brim and in this she's written LOL.
What does all of this mean??

I'm only 34 weeks so surely its a bit early for baby to be engaging or am i wrong?? Could this mean he could arrive early??

The other thing that worried me is she measured the height of my uterus and the m/w got a shock and said 'no no you've got that wrong, you'll give this girl the shock of her life, she's not 36cm do it again' So we had a bit of a giggle saying that had i of been 36cm i'd have been having a big baby.
Anyway turns out i'm 34cm (now this to me doesn't seem a far cry off 36cm so i'm thinking is this a big baby :think: )

Just on re-checking my notes it says at 28 weeks i was 28cm, 31 weeks i was 31 cm and now 34 weeks and i'm 34cm...hmm how weird :think:

sorry for waffling but my head is spinning here.

Any advice or what your notes say so far would be sooooo helpful.

Thank you :hug: xxx

:wave:

Im not sure about the engaged bit, but I have a diagram thingy which shows which way the baby is laying which I will post in a min which I think is what the LOL thingy is......I dont think she was laughing out loud at you! hehe

You are meant to measure the same in cm as your weeks, so your spot on hun and looks as though you have been all the way through - if you were 36cm then it would have meant you were measuring two weeks ahead (hence big baby) but atm you are totally 100% right for where you are so dont worry at all on that score.....Im measuring a week ahead myself, have been on last two visits to M/W (i.e. at 29 week visit I measured 30cm).

I will dig out that diagram thingy.......

Hope that helps :hug:

I cant get the diagram to come up on here - something about size of the image, but its on the website at the bottom....

Stangely LOL isnt on there but.....

There are 3 questions that each letter is the answer to:
1. Which side of the mother is the baby’s back on?
2. Which part of the baby is coming into the pelvis first?
3. Which side, front or back of the mother is that baby part along?

1) Yours is L for Left.
2) Your is O for Occiput, which means the bone shaping the back of the skull, so the head.....
3) I think the L is for left again.....but Im not sure.....

Have a look here as it might explain it better than me (or people who have other letters can check it out too)
http://spinningbabies.simplwebsite.com/belly-mapping

That link is really good, I think I've been right about the way the baby is lying but that makes so much sense.

Oh my god chok thank you so much for that. You are fantastic :angel: :hug:

From what i can see off your attached info that sounds correct.

His head is down and his back curves around my left side etc ...

At least i know now they weren't laughing out loud at me :rotfl:

All of this midwife code speak shouldn't be allowed ha ha.

Thanks again for getting me that info. You are a star. :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only bit i can help with is the 3/5 engaged as i had my 34 week appointment and she said i was 2/5 engaged. For me the more engaged the better as i really dont want to go overdue!

Claire x

first time mummys tend to engage around 34 weeks, at my last m/w app i was 3/5 engages that was at 34weeks 4days :) so about right hun..

also bubs can move from being engaged so dont panic..

also... 3/5's engaged means bubs is now just in brim of your pelvis.. and your baby being engaged (as far as i'm aware) does mean you'll have hinm early/late/ontime.. just means he/she is in position, hope this helps xxx

glittergirl said:
Oh my god chok thank you so much for that. You are fantastic :angel: :hug:

From what i can see off your attached info that sounds correct.

His head is down and his back curves around my left side etc ...

At least i know now they weren't laughing out loud at me :rotfl:

All of this midwife code speak shouldn't be allowed ha ha.

Thanks again for getting me that info. You are a star. :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:angel: :angel: :angel:
:wink: :wink: :wink:
:D :D :D

I aim to please..... :cheer:
I know what you mean, I think all medical professionals just make up their own language to make themselves feel important - I think they like knowing things that other people can't understand as it makes them feel powerful!
:shakehead: naughty midwife!
Anyhoo, glad I could help matey :hug:

Well I think she was just laughing out loud!! ;) heehee only joking hun! Im glad you got it sorted!! :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back