My hospital Midwife officially sucks....

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
Went to the hospital today for a check up. Im 37 weeks on Sunday and was looking forward to going to see the midwife cos i have heard at this stage they can see if baby is engaged, maybe do an internal to see if things are progressing,etc etc etc.

Oh no. Not for me! If i was there for 3 minutes I would be surprised!
I went in, they gave me my blood results, told me to get on the bed, listened to the heart beat and gave me a date for my next appointment which is AFTER my due date so i probably wont even need it!

I had to ask if bubs was engaged and the right way etc cos last time i went he was breech and back t back. He is now head down, right way round and head is "fixed" but not engaged, whatever that means!

They couldnt get me out quick enough! So I feel really p"ssed off tonight and down cos I was hoping they would examine me and let me know more about what to expect etc etc, what I should do if I go into labour, all of that sort of stuff.

Instead, they laughed when I asked them a question like Im stupid and made me feel about an inch tall. Bloomin NHS. Clearly just trying to get through all the preggo ladies - its such a numbers game.

:x

:hug: :hug: :hug: Thats terrible, surely they realise that being so close to labour you'd have loads of questions. This is what puts me off hospital births, you're just a number to them and they haven't time to do anymore than the abolute minimum.

id be pissed off too and also, it's the same reason why im hoping for a home birth. i have found the community midwife to be much more helpful but if you have questions, persist! Don't let them chase you away just to meet their targets!!!

I'm a bit surprised they let you go from 37 weeks to after term... I had an appointment every week to check how things were progressing, engaged wise I mean, and to make sure my blood pressure/protein/glucose was still ok etc.

Is there no way you could give them a call and book an appointment for say 39 weeks? Just say you're worried and need to chat to someone. Surely they can't turn you down.

If all else fails, visit your GP. They'll be a bit more medical and less emotions-wise but may be able to either kick the midwifes asses for you, or give you some reassurance. But yes, if you need questions answering, get them answered in any way necessary. You don't want to remember the end weeks of your pregnancy as worrying ones.

I changed doctors surgeries at 34 weeks and while I wouldn't suggest that to you, it was the only way I could ensure I received better treatment, so I did it. Get on the phone to the midwifes and if they don't listen just go through any numbers you can find - GP, Community Midwife office, Health Visitors (yes they are for when the baby has been born, but unlikely to turn you away if you need help, and they should all have some midwifery experience anyway), or anyone else you can think of! Get answers :D

Thanks Leckershell. I have been feeling really miserable since the visit. I was wondering if im just being hormonal but when i read on here about other girls visits to the midwife at my stage, my appointment lacked in so many different areas.
I will call my GP this morning and see what they can do. I just dont want a situation where Im term and dont really know what I should be doing next.

Thanks for the advice.

xx

seems like everyones having a moan about the nhs today - can you imagine how lost and anxious we'd all be without this forum :?

Despite it being pretty cr*p at times, imagine how lost we'd all be without the NHS! A bad system of free healthcare is better than none at all.
I know I always moan about the NHS, but I have to admit I prefer it to the american system

muppetmummy said:
Despite it being pretty cr*p at times, imagine how lost we'd all be without the NHS! A bad system of free healthcare is better than none at all.
I know I always moan about the NHS, but I have to admit I prefer it to the american system

Hmmmmm Im not sure i agree with you to be honest. The NHS is a big institution and maternity care is one small part of it and I feel that the maternity side of the NHS is severly lacking from my own experiences and those of other women i have spoken to.

This is backed up by the news today saying that a large percentage of maternity units in the UK have been found to be way below the standard they should be.

Just because my health care is "free" (aside from the thousands of £££ I paid last year for national insurance!) doesnt mean that I should put up with it being substandard.

I hadn't heard the news, off for a look in a bit.
I agree that it is way below the standard it should be, but I'd rather it was there than have a system where you have to pay for medical insurance and if you can't afford that you're screwed. It does need a big shake up.
It seems that they spend too much money on pen pushers and not enough on midwives, midwifery courses are always turning away very good applicants due to the popularity of the course, but there are loads of midwifery students out there who graduate and can't find a post :x
Then you go to a maternity hospital and find they're stressed and too busy devote you any time because they're short staffed!
It is certainly not a good situation to be in

How have you got on? Did you ring GP? I see you're from Liverpool, are you under the Women's? xx

jenni32 said:
How have you got on? Did you ring GP? I see you're from Liverpool, are you under the Women's? xx

Yeah I called my GP and i have an appointment for next Tuesday. :roll: Better than nothing i suppose.

Im not under the womens, Im at Ormskirk - I live in Lydiate so I had a choice between the 2 and hubby and i were both born in Ormskirk so thought it would be nice t keep it in the family! Maybe I was wrong..... :wall:

Are you at the Womens? Whats it like?

Yes, I had my LO at the Women's. I was very happy with the care I received, very thorough and careful with everything. My sister had both her kids there, all my friends had their kids there too. No bad reports from any of them. One friend had her eldest at Ormskirk though, and she never had anything bad to say, so hopefully you just got a crappy midwife at your appointment?! You definitely should be seen regularly until your due date though, I had an appointment with community midwife each week. Hope you get a bit more satisfaction (so to speak!) at next appointment xx

Im relieved its not the womens your at! Id go crazy as im worried about childbirth already and i have so long to go!! :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back