My first midwife appointment - Monday

Zal88

Reaction score
Hi girls...so my first midwife appointment is this coming Monday afternoon, which means DH will be at work and can't attend but is he missing anything?

I was told it's just the routine blood tests, I don't want to do anything else without him being there for the first time.

What should I expect at the appointment? I had so many questions my mind has gone blank now ahh

The mw will go through you mat notes with you just taking down your details and asking you questions, then there's 3 lots of bloods to be taken and may do your weight and height blood pressure etc OH won't miss out on anything they won't listen to baby or anything like that so don't worry if he can't make it just sometimes nice to have them there for support more than anything x

My Oh cant make my midwife appointment either due to work commitments. As long as he is there for the scan :) x

Hi... Your first midwife appt is very general, they ask family health history etc... take bloods. They do ask questions about your OH, but I have actaully heard of midwives asking them to leave for the appointment, because they ask about domestic violence. So he really wont miss anything. My boyfriend has never made a midwife appointment, hes been to all the scans tho! There the good ones, and the 16week appointment at the midwife they listen to babies heartbeat. But apart from that there really not much to see or hear :) x

Thank you girls that's really reassuring, I will let him know that he's not missing anything :) now I just have to prepare myself from more blood tests ahhh hate them!

My OH has only attended the scans - he didn't even come to 16w appointment (and we knew I'd get to hear HB) but it just wasn't worth him loasinga days work!

The MW will do most of the talking - this is a routine booking in appointment and she will be well practiced in this, so don't worry!

You'll have your height, weight, BP and urine checked and a some blood tests... You'll be given your maternity notes and asked of you want the Downs Syndrome screening.

It will be fine so try not to worry and your OH is not missing a thing.

I know it sounds harsh but there will be lots of appointments and not all of them will need your OH's attendance - they get to do the fun bits like get us pregnant and then they just attend the scans :lol: :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxx

My husband is lucky that his work lets him have paid leave to go to all my pregnancy related appointments as long as they don't go on too long.

For my booking in appointment it was notes - lots and lots and lots of notes, weight heigth etc then sent off for 4 vials of blood tests. Bleh.

I also got the appointment for my 12week scans too :) Not everyone will tho. Whilst I was in hospital at 6 weeks they asked if wanted downs testing etc there so that's why I got mine as my scans and blood tests are all on same day at 12 weeks :D

I didn't have any bloods done at my booking in appointments. I had a quick one at the surgery where they did my hight and weight and gave me a form to partly fill in along with my first bounty pack, the midwife came out a few days later (in was bank holiday so OH was home) and filled in the rest of the form, we needed to know about the family history of both of us (so maybe ask your OH all he knows before you go). I am so vague at the best of times (let alone with baby brain) I had to ring my mum up for my family health history lol. She did ask about domestic violence when OH was out of room.

I don't think OH needs to be there as long as you know him health history stuff, there will be enough days off work he needs to take in later months for him to do the enjoyable bits!!

Mines thus Thursday and my OH can't come either with being at work. We work at the same place and can't get it off! But as everyone else says as long as he's at the scan I'll deal with the paperwork! Good luck got Monday, let us know how it goes and what they do for a heads up! Xxx

Thanks everyone :)

OH just started a new job so it's going to be difficult to get time off, I am hoping for a weekend scan appointment. I will let you all know how it goes on Monday I can't wait so I can get my scan appointment to put my mind at ease.

Thanks everyone :)

OH just started a new job so it's going to be difficult to get time off, I am hoping for a weekend scan appointment. I will let you all know how it goes on Monday I can't wait so I can get my scan appointment to put my mind at ease.

My hospital don't do weekend scans however if your hospital is the same, you do have the option to book a private scan - they do late night appointments and weekends!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
So the appointment went well, quite straight forward as you all mentioned, a bunch of blood tests which I couldn't complete as felt really dizzy so have to do them next time, now just waiting for my scan appointment, can't wait! I requested weekend, thank god my hospital does that I just hope there is availability. :D

Glad it went well hun, I'm looking forward to my booking appt, only 11 days to go! lol. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back