My Day, snow & mat leave.

Citygirl1

Reaction score
Hi Ladies.

Well to give you an update from Glasgow, we've had another terrible falling of snow this morning. We were on our way to midwife appt this morning and the car got stuck. Couldn't make it to appt and had to walk for an hour to get home (with several stops along the way). Thought my hips were going to collapse. Anyway got home safe.

Weather was bad last week and had to have a couple days off so i decided to call my boss and tell him that i won't be in for the majority of this week as this new fall is just going to ice up. Slight thaw not due till thursday. At first he mentioned taking maternity leave early but told him i don't want to do that. So he's told me to self cert for this week and just to put down something that is non pregnancy related.

With the weather up here i am seriously considering bringing my mat leave forward a few weeks (due to finish up on 14th Jan anyway). If i say i can't make it into work because i'm afraid of a fall they can still put that down as pregnancy related. I have 2 weeks holiday entitlement still to take so might just use that up to do me up to xmas and new year and then mat leave would start at beginning of jan. Does anyone know what the position is about how soon you can take annual leave after you go back from self certing?

What a day!:shock:

Snow is awffful when pregnant!
I had a scan when the snow was at its worst, had to get a bus into town and then walk to hospital with my mum and toddler, nearly slipped about 8 times, then got a taxi home who couldnt even get me to my front door as he couldnt get the car up my hill as it kept sliding back down! lol
deffo think u shud start maternity leave early hun, why not, make the most of it and put ya feet up :)

Thanks lilly, it's just a nightmare it's gridlock up here. As said i'm self certing for the week but might try arrange annual/maternity leave so it means i'm finishing up at xmas.

It would be a shame to have to take it early just because of the snow, esp if your planning to go back and want more baby time after the birth. what's everyone else in your office having to do in all this snow? Normally it will affect all people and not just those that need to be careful eg pregnant etc. I don't think he exucse "can't make it into work because of snow" etc is anything pregnancy related, unless you add the pregnant slip over part to it, worth a try to eeeck it out a bit. You really do sound like you have alot of snow up there.

If your other colleagues are having to take holiday when they can't make it into work, then perhaps just use each of your holiday days only when you can't go in, the same as them

Last edited:
Hi JJ

I think it's because i said i won't be in until this snow clears. The roads will probably be gritted tomorrow so i would imagine the other folk will either get in tomorrow or wednesday. I refuse to take the risk of going in in this weather and a thaw is predicted for the weekend.

I will say to him i'll be back on monday and take a decision from there but i'm not gonna be taking mat leave as of this week. My employer has to treat sick leave as normal sick leave as long as i'm not past the 36 week stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back