My boss is avoiding me! Need advice!

Jojo84

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my boss all day Friday to discuss my risk assessment (I work is a heavy job and policy says they put RA in place as soon as you know you're pregnant. I know he knows about it because I told his manager on Thursday afternoon and was redirected to another manager on Friday to desk with asking for time off to go to docs which I know must have been passed on by email. Thismorning he's"busy" and can't get him to talk to me.

I know he's avoiding me but j can't show up to work in wednesdaysnd suddenly tell him that I can't do heavy lifting as that would put me under risk of being disciplined as I would be refusing to do my job, :(

What do I do?! He just seems to be ignoring me! I've called him, text him and emailed him so I know he knows I need to speak to him!

I can't work a 14hour shift feeling as tired as this and j certainly can't manual hoist when it's so heavy!! I'm do stressed out about it snd that's not good.

What if he refuses to change my pattern so I'm not forced into it?? I really don't want to put myself at risk as it was at work I list my baby last time.

Quite simply he can't do it- duty of care and I'd refuse to do heavy lifting

I'd send him another email copying in HR explaining you've tried to contact him and your now notifying him until a risk assessment is carried out formally you will not put the health of yourself and your unborn child at risk and request the business meets the legal criteria they need to- to ensure your safety at work.

Word it however you want- don't be scared by employers- HR, legal teams will always side with the employee with things like this :) document everything and see how you get on

Try another senior member of staff - any manger with responsibility has a duty of care to the company's employees
Good luck

He doesnt have a choice. If he is still refusing to speak with you, you can put the reason you need to speak with him in am email. That way you have documented proof that you have tried many times to contact him regarding the matter and if hes not dealt with it before your shift then you can simply refuse to do the lifting without RA.
He cant disipline you for not telling him because youll have proof that you have told him. I can understand why hes dragging his feet, its extra work, but it tough!

Best of luck x

Mustve posted same time, mummybexee put it way better than me!

Ill give him until lunchtime then ill do that. I'm so nervous about it and worried :(

Don't be hun- you mentioned this is the reason you MC last time- by doing this your protecting you and bean- if you need any help let me know

I'm a manager in a commercial Industry and will help where I can :) x

Thanks so much. He hates me anyway and thinks I'm over cautious with myself. The issue is I really don't thi n I can do 14 hour shifts more it less without a break from our clients. We also use a manual hoist where you have to push and pull the person In the sling by hand over to the bed. It's not a lot if pushing but it's hard and I can't do it :(

Thanks so much. He hates me anyway and thinks I'm over cautious with myself. The issue is I really don't thi n I can do 14 hour shifts more it less without a break from our clients. We also use a manual hoist where you have to push and pull the person In the sling by hand over to the bed. It's not a lot if pushing but it's hard and I can't do it :(

I take it you work for a care agency? I would also point out the longer he leaves it, the more likely he is at risk at putting the clients at risk too. If you were to feel pain in that region, your hands are likely to go straight to your stomach regardless of what you're doing xx

Last time I was pregnant he was awkward wih me saying that it wasn't his fault I got myself pregnant and when I lot it he said well you can get back to normal now, no point moaning about it

Last time I was pregnant he was awkward wih me saying that it wasn't his fault I got myself pregnant and when I lot it he said well you can get back to normal now, no point moaning about it

That's absolutely disgusting. If you don't feel comfortable speaking with him then bypass him and go to his boss and tell him that's the reason you don't want to speak to him about it and in addition to this, he's making it as difficult as possible for you to speak with him anyway

That is so horrible and mean! I can't believe anyone would speak to you like that after a MC!!

I know you said that you can't refuse to lift because it's part of your job description but the difference is that you have a valid reason why you can't lift. I work in retail so the heavy lifting isn't anywhere near as bad as yours, but huffing huge heavy boxes up two flights of stairs is no longer something I can do. However, we have another member of staff who just refuses to do any lifting on a delivery day. My manager got fed up and put a huge sign up saying that "Everyone has to pull their weight on delivery day as it's everyone's responsibility unless you had a valid medical reason"

So I wouldn't be scared to say no. You have to put yours and LO's safety first.

I'd defo go to higher management!

Last edited:
I bet a word they love is SAFEGUARDING! Use that word ;) Safeguard you, your bean and the clients xx

Ooh wss^^ throw the "safeguarding" card at him, i like it! Lol maybe even throw in a " CQC" ..

I already did the safeguarding card. So i finally got him, He said he didn't have time because it was his day off. Then sn hour later text me to say to call tomorrow and we can Put things in place

Actually I can speak to a midwife in the information session today and ask her advice on whet to say if she has time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back