my birth story - Emma Helen Carter 30/05/2011

treeze

Reaction score
Emmas Birth Story

Bit lengthy but wanted to write it all down before I forget any bits!

On the morning of Sunday 29th May after an uncomfortable nights sleep, I started to felt a tightening at around 11:30 am. Didn’t think much of it and then had another one at about 12 midday and 12:30… We had decided to go to Frankie & bennies with Josie for lunch as I was scheduled to be induced on the following Tuesday and we wanted to do something nice with the 3 of us. Well by the time we sat down to eat the “tightenings” started coming every 5 or 10 mins so we started writing them down… They were a bit irratice… 5 mins, then 2 mins, then 4, then 6 etc and lasting between 20 and 30 seconds.

I rang the labour hotline on the way home from Frankie & Bennies at about 4pm and they said try and stay at home as contractions not that regular or long. By 6pm I felt I should ring again as some had been quite painful and getting closer together. They said to come into delivery.

Got to hospital at about 7pm was examined – 1-2cm… same as I had been since the sweeps! Put on the CTG for half hour and babys heartrate was up near the 200bpm mark and only coming back down to 160… Was sent for a walk and had to go back an hour later (by which time it was about 10pm for another trace on the CTG). Shift changeover and a different midwife did the CTG which this time was fine. The contractions got a bit more regular through this trace but then died right down. This midwife examined me and said she thought I was 2cm and it could be stretched. She said she “stirred things up a bit” and then sent us home for a hot bath as contractions still weren’t very regular.

AND THIS IS WHERE IT ALL REALLY STARTED HAPPNIN!

11;30ish…. As I walked out of delivery to go home I got quite a bad contraction… and then 4 more in the time it took to get to the car park… even at that point I said “should we go back in?” but hubby said “no let’s get home and I bet when you lay down they stop!”…. another 4 intense contractions on the 10 min journey home… got in layed on the sofa and another 3 really strong ones within 10 mins! Rang labour hotline back and they said “come straight back then! More bad contractions on the journey back to the hospital and when we got there they showed us to “The Juno Suite”. I had heard of this “juno Suite” but never imagined I would end up there as it is for women who want a birth with as little intervention as possible.. birthing balls.. dim lights… drape things hanging from the ceiling to grab onto etc.. … well I wanted everything… gas and air and definitely epidural… always have done! So I said to the midwife “erm can I have an epidural in this room” and she said “oh you won’t be needing one of those – you look like you’re very close to delivery”… wwhhhaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!

So at least they had gas and air which I made a rapid start on which did help with the contractions.. she examined me and I was 6cm…. I couldn’t belive it…. Just half and hour or so before I was still only cm… in the time it took to drive home and back again I had got to 6cm.

I think at this point being told I was 6cm outweighed the fact I had been told “no epidural”… and I stupidly beleievd that I might actually handle the pain just with gas and air… how wrong I was! The very young midwife PROMISED me if I tried to go for it without an epidural that she wouldn’t take the gas and air away for the pushing part (I have seen them do this on tele etc)..

Everything happened very quickly after this… I was managing to cope with the gas and air but the contractions were getting much stronger and I didn’t like them. Asked again for an Epidural … “no – you’re really close now”…

Midwife had not re-examined me and kept asking if I needed to push but I didn’t know if I did or not.. I did get a very solid feeling in my bum which I think did lead to the urge to push. I was getting quite distressed with each contraction now as they were so strong and I begged them to give me something stronger for the pain. All of a sudden my waters went and they EXPLODED – I was laying on the bed and literally they came out like a firwork – it went up the walls all over the bed, the floor, the midwives! (had a student midwife too) – hubby couldn’t believe it! I felt immense relief for about 10 seconds until the next contraction started which was even worse than the previous ones!

Well then they examined me again and I was fully dilated. They said if you think you need to push then do…

Please stop reading now if you don’t want to hear negative experiences of the pains felt for this last stage of labour! But of course everyone’s pain threshold is different and i think mine must just be very low…..

When I felt this “urge to push” it was horrible… up to this point with each contraction it had felt as if my pelvis was going to break from the pressure.. I kept saying “my bones feel like they’re gonna break” …

once these “urge to push” contractions began it was horrible – the pressure and pain was intense and I really started begging them to make it stop.. and the worse thing ever was that the midwife TOOK AWAY MY GAS AND AIR… which she had promised she wouldn’t.

I was too scared to push when I got the urge as the pain was so bad I couldn’t bring myself to push incase it made it worse… but then it felt like my body just took over without me wanting it to and pushed anyway… I really can’t describe the strength and power of these pushing contractions and the only blessing was I only had to suffer them for 6mins. It felt like the whole of my hips, waist, bump, top of legs etc was just solid and like it was ALL clamping and locking together to push the baby out.

When I finally gave in to the pushing sensation and gave a couple of big pushes I felt as if the head was shifting inches with every push… I was roaring like a lion (which I swore I would never do!) and just kept shouting over and over agin “I don’t like it… I don’t like it – make it stop make it stop”

The head crowned and I didn’t get the burning sensation but it felt as if I was being stretched to the point of no return! This is where they said “right STOP pushing and pant”… I shouted “I can’t!” and pushed anyway (hence 2nd degree tear) and with that push her head came out… what seemed like a lifetime to wait for the next contraction and I could feel her head had come out and felt her shoulders rammed up against my bits and I thought “she’s stuck .. I can’t push these shoulders through – they felt wedged solid behind my bits” but sure enough with the next push Emma Helen Carter was born at 2:21am weighing 8lb 11.5oz.

1st stage labour – 2 hours 50min
2nd stage (pushing) – 6 mins
3rd stage (placenta) – 4 mins

She had a TRUE KNOT in her umbilical cord which they showed me and it was literally a big tight knot.. they call these “lucky babies” – well had I know about this through the pregnancy I would not have stopped worrying – apparently it can be very dangerous.

Now although I couldn’t believe I did this just with gas and air… if I was given the choice I would never go through it again without more pain relief. I sort of feel like it just all happened too quickly for me to be assertive enough to demand more pain relief. The midwife said “there, now aren’t you proud of yourself – no epidural, no catheter and you can go straight home?”

I said “I actually can’t believe what I have just gone through and given the choice I would rather have had the epidural and not felt what I just did!” And then I said “I can’t believe you took that gas and air away.. you lied to me… you promised you wouldn’t do that!” but she explained they have to as you can’t concentrate on pushing if they let you have the gas and air! She was lovely really and I let the student deliver Emma.

Had local anaesthetic for the 2nd degree tear which was uncomfortable and it felt like the anaesthetic did nothing but after those pushing contractions the stitches were a breeze (and they gave me the gas and air back for that bit!)

Had coffee, toast and a shower and was back home by 5am! All day long I just keep thinking “I can’t believe it… I can’t believe she’s here… and I avoided induction!”

So with Josie I was induced and in hospital for 4 days – had epidural, pethedine and gas and air… with this one labour was 3 hours - got to the hospital at midnight and was home by 5am…. Given the choice of which I would do again I would DEFINATLEY choose Josie’s birth – yep the induction… I would much rather be there for longer, get my epidural, have a catheter, be strapped to monitors and be PAIN FREE instead of going through such intense pains just with gas and air! (although I’m sure there must be a happy medium between my 2 experiences!!)

Hope I haven’t scared anyone to much – of course everyone’s experience is different and I tell you what – I now have MASSIVE admiration for anyone who has given birth just with gas and air.. I can’t believe what your body can go through and still come out unharmed at the end of it…. If I ever hear someone say now “I did it just on gas and air” it is like a whole new meaning to what I ever imagine those words could mean!

Thank you to Jodie for being a fab text buddy and updating my thread with the photo etc. Emma is settling in really well – sleeps loads and is beautiful – Josie is a fantastic big sister and loves just sitting cuddling Emma on her lap – she is so gentle with her and it made my day to be in and out the hospital and back home with Emma in time for josie to wake up and meet her!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 46
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 40
  • pic9.jpg
    pic9.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 38
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 32
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 33
Well done! She's gorgeous! You all look so happy xxx

aww well done my 3rd was just gas and air lol i did ask for the pethadine but they said i didnt need it, then my waters gushed everywhere so called the midwife in and she said ok you can have the pethadine my response was well its to late now i can feel the head haha sent her into a panic trying to get gloves on lol 1 thing i did find with not having pethadine was me and the baby was very awake and alert afterwards :)

anyway rabbling on on your thread tut

congratulations again xxx

aww well done my 3rd was just gas and air lol i did ask for the pethadine but they said i didnt need it, then my waters gushed everywhere so called the midwife in and she said ok you can have the pethadine my response was well its to late now i can feel the head haha sent her into a panic trying to get gloves on lol 1 thing i did find with not having pethadine was me and the baby was very awake and alert afterwards :)

anyway rabbling on on your thread tut

congratulations again xxx

midnight... did you find it overwhelmingly painful toward sthe end and the pushing part? it's like nothing i ever imagined that pushing part and the strength of the contractions... and having to push with that pain - it's sort of automatic - your body takes over doesn't it... i'm really interested to see if other people can actually cope with that pain and not find it too bad!!!

congratulations :) she's gorgeous! i think you have given a very very honest recollection of what you experienced.
i am hoping to have a very natural birth (this is my first) and i also have a lowish pain threshold, though your story has shown that we can cope when we have too!
best wishes for the future with your two beautiful girls :)

Congratulations!! Well done on having such a quick labour even though it sounds extremely painful!! xx

Well done, you did amazing and she's beautiful.

(I tried to leave during my labour because the contractions were so bad, told OH he could do it 'I have to go now'lol)

Fab birth story hun, your pics are beautiful xx

Omg hon- I literally felt like you were describing my birth story there from the bit where the huge pains started- it was identical except my waters broke first. I also wanted the works pain relief wise and didn't get the gas and air and never want to experience that again- it was terrible! But you're not alone- can't believe how similar you were to me- next time I will be waaaaay more assertive!

Beautiful pics and gorgeous name. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back