Mums please help!

tiggy748

Reaction score
Hi. Im a student midwife completing a research project on the psychology of birth. Would you mind taking a moment to complete this questionnaire? I need around 40 responces. Thanks.
Psychology Of Birth

The purpose of this questionnaire is to explore the standard of antenatal care and education.
Your answers will remain confidential and will be destroyed once the data has been gathered.
Thank you.

Q1. What year was your first child born in?
 Prior to 1994 (Thank you for your time, this is the end of the questionnaire)
 1994 to current date (please move to Q2.)

Q2. Did the maternity care and birth for your first child take place in the UK?
 Yes (Please move to Q3.)
 No (Thank you for your time, this is the end of the questionnaire)

Please answer all of the following questions based on your first pregnancy and birth ONLY.

Q3. How old were you when gave birth to your first child?

19 yrs and under 20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Homebirth Hospital birth Birthing Centre
Other (Please state) ……...................................……………...………

Q5. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the birth you wanted with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state) ………………………….………

Q6. Did you give birth at …

Home Hospital Birthing Centre
Other (Please state) …………………………..............................................................................................…..

Q7. What type of delivery did you plan?

Spontaneous vaginal Induced vaginal Caesarean Section

Q8. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type delivery with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state) ……………………………...……

Q9. What type of delivery did you have?

Spontaneous vaginal Induced vaginal Caesarean Section Ventous Forceps

Q10. What type of pain relief did you plan? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation Tens Natural – no pain relief AT ALL
 Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural
Other (please state)……………….......

Q11. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type of pain relief you wanted, with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes  No Other (Please state)……………...……………………

Q12. What type of pain relief did you have? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation Tens Natural – no pain relief AT ALL
Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural
Other (please state.…………………

Q13. What type of pre natal care did you choose?

NHS standard midwifery care
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS Doula
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS Independent midwife
NHS standard midwifery care PLUS attendance at workshops, conferences or other independent investigation
Independent Midwife only
None of the above (Please state your choice) …….........................………………………………………………

Q14. What type of childbirth education (sometimes called parent craft classes) did you choose?
No childbirth classes, information gained through Midwife or doula only
NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes
 National Childbirth Trust (NCT) led childbirth classes
NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes PLUS National Childbirth Trust (NCT) led childbirth classes
Independent childbirth classes
Workshops, conferences etc
Word of mouth / advice from friend / mother
None of the above (Please state your choice) ………….........................…………………………………………

Q15. Did you read childbirth, pregnancy or child care publications prior to, or during your pregnancy?
No Books  Magazines Other (please state) ……………………….......................……

Q16. Why?
I had questions my midwife couldn’t answer / didn’t have time to answer
I had questions I didn’t feel able to ask anyone
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given
I wanted information on alternative birthing and pain methods
I wanted information about how to care for the baby
I wanted information on breastfeeding
 Other (please state) …………………………………………………………...

Q17. Was your community midwifery care (care gained at home or at your doctors surgery) carried out by the same midwife all the way through your pregnancy?
 Yes (please go to Q17)  Occasionally saw one other midwife due to sickness, holidays etc.
 No, cared for by a several midwifes.

Q18. Did you mind having more than one community midwife caring for you?
 Yes  No

Q19. Did you feel that that care you received during your pregnancy gave you confidence about any worries or fear you may have had about your pregnancy?
 Yes  No
 Occasionally (please give details where you didn’t feel this was the case)
……………………….....................................................…………………………………..………………………

Q20. Did you feel that that care you received from the midwife / midwives allowed you to feel confident about your birth?
 Yes  No

Q21. Please add any comments regarding your care, your pregnancy and birth you feel is relevant.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire.

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

Q5. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the birth you wanted with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes

Q6. Did you give birth at...
Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

Q8. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type delivery with guidance and support from your midwife?
 No

Ventous

Q10. What type of pain relief did you plan? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Tens
 Gas and air only
Other (please state)………Water birth……….......

Q11. Did you feel that you were able to make the decision about the type of pain relief you wanted, with guidance and support from your midwife?
 Yes

Q12. What type of pain relief did you have? (Please choose as many as is applicable)
Tens

Q14. What type of childbirth education (sometimes called parent craft classes) did you choose?

Q15. Did you read childbirth, pregnancy or child care publications prior to, or during your pregnancy?
Books  Magazines
Q16. Why?

Q17. Was your community midwifery care (care gained at home or at your doctors surgery) carried out by the same midwife all the way through your pregnancy?
 Occasionally saw one other midwife due to sickness, holidays etc.

 No

Q19. Did you feel that that care you received during your pregnancy gave you confidence about any worries or fear you may have had about your pregnancy?
 Yes

Q20. Did you feel that that care you received from the midwife / midwives allowed you to feel confident about your birth?
 Yes

Q21. Please add any comments regarding your care, your pregnancy and birth you feel is relevant.
I've answered your questions with regards to the care I received through my pregnancy but the actual birth of my first was horrendous and I'm still shocked that I had any more after the experience I had in hospital that first time. My community midwife was excellent at reassuring me, and answering my questions and worries but when things went wrong whilst in labour the hospital midwives stopped talking to me altogether and pressurised me into various procedures and were about as useful as a chocolate teapot for reassuring me. I never made a birth plan for my girls as I felt it was a waste of time after what I went through with William - I decided to go with the flow. These births were fantastic experiences as a result.

Hi. Im a student midwife completing a research project on the psychology of birth. Would you mind taking a moment to complete this questionnaire? I need around 40 responces. Thanks.

Psychology Of Birth

The purpose of this questionnaire is to explore the standard of antenatal care and education.

Your answers will remain confidential and will be destroyed once the data has been gathered.

Thank you.

Please answer all of the following questions based on your first pregnancy and birth ONLY.

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal Induced vaginal Caesarean Section Ventous Forceps

Natural – no pain relief AT ALL

 No Other (Please state) When i was in labour the midwifes were trying to make me have gas and air which wasnt really what i wanted

Natural – no pain relief AT ALL

 Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Yes

 Yes

 Yes

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire.

Thanks

Q1. What year was your first child born in? )

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

 Gas and air only

 Yes

Gas and air only

 Magazines

Q16. Why?
I had questions I didn’t feel able to ask anyone.

 No

 Yes

 Yes

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Thank you for your help so far, please keep responding as I need around 40 responces.

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

 Gas and air only

 Yes

Gas and air only

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Yes

 Yes

 Yes
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

hope this helps hun x

 1994 to current date

 Yes

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

 Gas and air only  Pethidine Epidural

 Yes

Gas and air only

Other (please state) I done a lot of internet research, and used a pregnancy book given to me by my midwife

Q16. Why?

 No

 Occasionally (please give details where you didn’t feel this was the case) Coming to the end of my pregnancy a doctor noticed my placenta was more mature than it should have been, and that there was low fluid surrounding the baby.. I was seen by 5 different doctors with conflicting opinions and it wasnt until I was seen by a consultant after weeks back and forwards from the hospital that I was given the correct information and felt reassured about the remainder of my pregnancy

 Yes

19 yrs and under

Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth

 Yes
hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Induced vaginal

 Gas and air  Pethidine Epidural

 Yes

Books  Magazines
Q16. Why?

 No

no
 Yes

Last edited:

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Homebirth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

Other (please state)……………….....tens machine and water (birthing pool)..

 Yes

tens until 7cm then pethidine then epidural

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 Yes

 Yes

 Yes

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Spontaneous vaginal

 Gas and air only  Pethidine

 Yes

Gas and air only  Pethidine

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

 No

 Yes

 Yes

I hope this helps

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Hospital birth

 Yes

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 Yes

Ventous

Hypnosis / Meditation Tens
 Gas and air

 No

Gas and air  Pethidine

Books  Magazines Other (please state) Internet……………………….......................……

Q16. Why?
I had questions my midwife couldn’t answer / didn’t have time to answer

 No

 Occasionally (please give details where you didn’t feel this was the case)
……………………….....................................................…………………………………..………………………

 No

Unnecessarily worried about size of baby (measuring small for dates) by the midwife (turned out baby was fine)... being unnecessarily concerned about transverse lie as midwife suspected. wasnt the case. no support on attempting to turn baby was offered, resulting in painful, protracted back labour... on the whole though, the community midwives were great, and they only raised these issues to be a thorough as possible. the hospital midwives were not so helpful. I understand it is a stressful time, but when im in the middle of it, i would still like to know whats going on. and also, if i demand more diamorphine and ive already had, then tell me so - then i wont end up too off my face to see the labour through to delivery.

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Psychology Of Birth

Thank you.

20 yrs and over

Q4. Did you want a ...

Other (Please state) …Midwife Led birthing unit part of a hospital

No  ………………………….………

Hospital

Spontaneous vaginal

 No

Caesarean Section Forceps C section after failed forceps

Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation  Gas and air only

 Yes

Aromatherapy Hypnosis / Meditation

Books  Magazines

Q16. Why?

No

 Yes

 No

My sons head never engaged into my pelvis and at 41 weeks he was still back to back. I was given a sweep and went into labour 48 hours after that. When arriving at hospital it wasw never discussed with me about my babies position. I was basically just dumped in a room and left to get on with it. I dilated very slowly and ended up being in Early (but still very painful) labour for more than 50 hours stuck at about 3-4 cm. One midwife made a comment about being able to feel the wrong fontanelle when she examined me but no more was mentioned about it. I was taken into theatre for a forceps delivery and the consultant discovered after tugging with the forceps that my baby was a brow presentation and extreamly stuck. They immediately did an emergency section. My son came out as blue as a smuf and had to be taken to SCBU as he was really struggling to breathe. I think that my maternity care while pregnant was good but while in hospital the midwives were too wrapped up in 'box ticking' to actually work out what was going on. I lost all my faith in the midwives as they were too busy sticking to NHS targets and were not focussed at all on my care or my baby. My labour and birth was managed to their timescales and I wasnt treated as an individual and because of this i could quite easily have lost my son.

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in the questionnaire. [/QUOTE]

I would do it but my first was born in 1990 so not sure I'm needed :blush:

Last edited:

Yes
20 yrs and over
Q4. Did you want a ...
Hospital birth
Yes
Hospital
Spontaneous vaginal
Yes
Caesarean Section (Emergency)
Tens
Gas and air
No..I felt pressured to accept a Pethidine injection
Tens
Gas and air
Pethidine
NHS standard midwifery care
NHS standard midwifery led childbirth classes....had to accept a one day course lasting 4 hours as fully booked for evening classes!
Books
Magazines
Other (please state) Many websites
Q16. Why?
I wanted to know about the pregnancy in greater detail than what I was given
I wanted information on alternative birthing and pain methods
I wanted information about how to care for the baby
I wanted information on breastfeeding
No, cared for by a several midwifes.
Yes
No
 Yes
I feel that if I the midwife I had at the end of my labour had been with me at the start then I would not have ended up with an emergency c-scetion. I had a number of different midwives during a 20 hours labour all of which had different ways of doing things and were not assertive enough to help me through the experience!!

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back