Multicultural names

EmmyLiana

Reaction score
Hey ladies,
we still don't know baby's sex, but we are getting closer on the name front!
Our first daughter is Liana Emilia. We have pretty much agreed on a boy's name (but I'm still convinced it's another girl), but we are still struggling a bit with girl's names - especially as we are originally from Brazil and all our families live there, so wouldn't want baby to struggle with his/her name in either country.

Our current favourites are:

Phoebe
Ivy

Alice
Sienna

We LOVE Phoebe and Ivy the most, but they are also the most complicated for People back home to pronounce. We also really like Alice and Sienna, which are easier for people back home to pronounce, though we'd prefer Ivy or Phoebe. So we have three Options:

1: We go with the alternative: Alice Sienna, though we're not sure if it flows too well with the "ss" sound...however we rarely call our first by her full name, so she'd be Alice almost always. Alice is also an honour name so we'd really like to include it (not a must, though).

2. We use Ivy or Phoebe as a first name and Alice as a middle name - baby goes by "transitioned" name, meaning Brazilians simply pronounce her name the way they naturally would if they can't pronounce it - in this case we would prefer Ivy over Phoebe. Phoebe would be pronounced "something along the lines of Pho-ae-bee" in Brazil, which I think sounds horrendous. Ivy on the other hand would be pronounced like the name Evie, which I love and think is gorgeous!

3: We use Ivy or Phoebe as a first name and Alice as a middle name - but baby would only go by her first name Phoebe/Ivy in the UK, in Brazil she'd go by her second name Alice (or Sienna). Does Ivy Alice work? I think from the sound of it I'd prefer Ivy Sienna over Ivy Alice, but since Alice is an honour name I'd rather use Alice than Sienna

So what do you think? :) Or do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I like the idea of number 3 that way you get the best of two names, as long as that isnt going to confuse your child.

As for which names to use, I think they both sound nice together.

Last edited:
i quite like that too! i don't think it'd confuse the child too much as it would be growing into it i guess... my cousin who lives in the US is Rachael Carolina and everybody in Brazil who cant pronounce Rachael calls her Carolina or nn Carol. It's not even really clear who calls her which one of her names, but she just goes by both
.. I really really want an Ivy and it's a name we both love and one of the few we can actually completely agree on without compromise, just wish that name was easier for people here to spell and pronounce

hey girly,

I love all of your names :) Ivy is a gorgeous name and it'd have been on our list as well if it wasn't one of my best friend's name. From your options I'd go for either the second or third. I think Alice Sienna is very pretty but I would prefer Alice as a middle name for Ivy or Phoebe. Also knowing your surname I agree it may be a little too much with the s sounds. With the "de" before your surname it should be alright, but it's still quite a lot of s sounds, so I personally wouldn't choose a first and middle name with s sounds.

I think Ivy Alice sounds brilliant! That would be my favourite from your list. If you don't mind your child being called a different name in another country, then I would say let her go by Ivy in the UK and Alice in Brazil - that way you get to actually use both names and the middle name is not just silent.

May I ask which boy names you have decided on, love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back