Moving from FT to PT

Nicky78

Reaction score
I've been back at work 3 months & really struggling with being a mom and working FT. I am considering moving to a PT job but can't seem to find any that pay more than minimal wage? I am lucky enough to be well paid in my current job and it seems such a big decrease, anyone been in the same position?

I take it you've already ruled out doing your current job part-time? Or doing the job you currently do but at a different company on a part-time contract?

The only other thing I can suggest is just to keep looking - sign up to recruitment agencies, get your CV out there, tell your FB friends and anyone else you speak to - mums in your local baby groups or whatever - that you're on the lookout. You never know who might know about the perfect opportunity that isn't even being advertised as a vacancy. I know a few people who've sorted out part-time work just by a shout-out on Facebook. Although I suppose that depends if you have work colleagues on fb who you don't want knowing that you're looking elsewhere?! Feel like I'm rambling, sorry.

Hope that helps xx

I work part-time in my old full-time job and hate the shifts and unreliability of my finish time, which doesn't fit well with dropping off/collecting from nursery. I'm looking into going back to reception/secretarial work, which would basically halve my hourly rate, but if I can get 16+ hours, we wouldn't be that worse off as we'd get the working tax credit (I currently do 15 hours, so just an hour short but with huge financial implications).

You are entitled to put in a flexible working request with your current job and they have to seriously look at it, although they're under no obligation to provide you with fewer hours. It's always worth a go. That's what I did with mine.

I would double check with your company first if they would allow you to drop. There's the option of longer shifts, but less days so you have 1 or 2 full days off? I do 3 days and they were more or less ok with it, but went with what I asked for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back