Mothers...

Rachaellius

Reaction score
Arrrrgh!!!

My mom has said right from the beginning she would like to buy us a travel system, really nice of her and greatly appreciated. Really don't know how me and OH would afford it with everything else.
Well anyway we were looking online a few months ago and both agreed we quite like the Graco "I Love My Bear" travel system from Babies 'R' Us.
But after actually going into Babies 'R' Us and seeing it and reading all the bad reviews I've really decided against it and fell in love with another one the Silvercross 3D in Rouge, got much better reviews and is a better make, plus I love the red.
I showed it my mom on the website last sunday and she said she really liked it and agreed it's really good for the price etc. The silvercross is £300 and the "I Love My Bear" one was £280.

Well anyway my sister came round earlier and I said to her has mom shown you the pram I like? And she said yeah my mom had shown it her and said it was farrr too expensive and that you could get a car for that much!! (It's £20 more expensive than the one she was originally buying us!!!).
She also said that she wasn't going to be buying it us until the baby is actually born! Apparantly back in the old days shops never let you take the pram until the baby had arrived! The whole point of getting a travel system is to get the car seat with it! Which obviously we will need to install in the car before the baby arrives!!!

I haven't spoke to her about it yet because I know she'll probably just moan to my sister again and she's obviously struggling to be able to afford it so don't want her to think I'm rushing her on it. But if it was the case she couldn't afford it I wish she would have just spoken to me about it rather than moan behind my back.
Me and OH have hardly got anything for LO atm and there is no way we can afford the travel system too, but if we'd have known sooner we could have started saving.

Grrr worried about it now and don't know what to do :wall2:

Sorry needed to vent lol
xx

Families eh. I know it will be hard but it probably is best you try to speak to her. If they're anything like my family that really will be hard (ultra sensitive) but it's probably the only way. Hope you sort it one way or another tho xxx

You'll need the car seat for the hospital! Can you guys buy it and send her the bill?

i would put away what you can every month. Even knocking £100 dent off the price until you have the baby and tell your mum might help. i only got my pram a few weeks ago, i agree that you will need it before your lo is here. i got mine from toys r us, im in their baby club, are you? if you join they sound you vouchers and im on their email listings to. Ive had a email every month without fail for 20% off babies r us, its usually over a weekend they do it. I saved £90 went i got my pram from there x

There are a couple of second hand ones on Ebay for £100, you could keep your eye on there to give your mum a break if she is struggling with the finances.

I'm a bit of snob when it comes to second hand clothes and toys, although they make good sense, but big things like prams and furniture - might as well save some money if you can.

My mum does that all the time. I'm sure the reason that she isn't complaining to you is because she know that it is a situation of her own making, but maybe she wishes that she hadn't gotten into it xx

Yeah I know she hasn't done it on purpose and I'm sure if she could afford it just like that she'd get it but I just wish she's have spoken to me about it and not left it so late. I'm going on maternity leave in 2 weeks time so I'm not gonna be paid as much :/ and it's just some of the comments she made aswell like saying you could get a car for the price of it, like making out that I'm being really extravagant and like I'm taking advantage of her paying but tbh I've struggled to find a travel system much cheaper. And I explained my reasons for wanting a travel system too because of the car seat and needing it to take baby home from hospital and she agreed.

I'm really not snobbish when it comes to second hand and have bought a few things off ebay and my OH's nan has been buying us clothes from charity shops but I really think for a pram or any sort of big furniture I'd really rather prefer to get new because of the warranty.
xx

Definitely think you need to chat with your mum about it. It'll be hard but doesnt really seem like theres any other option.

Have you spoken to her about the issue of needing the car seat. I know that years ago (an im talking when i was born so not even 30) - mum and baby stayed in the hosp for at least a week so Dad/Grandparents could sort out prams etc in time for LO's getting out.

hope you get it sorted.
xxx

I would ask ur mum how much she is offering for pram and maybe make it up ourselves if u can! My OH's mum gave us money to get ours luckily it was enough but if not we would have put the rest to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back