Moses Basket? Cot? Swinging Crip? Help!!!!

keelie_b

Reaction score
What should it sleep in first?
Iv looked at swinging cribs and they look great but apparently they can only sleep in them until 6 months. i just think its a very big thing to have for such a small amount of time and then you have to try and get rid of it.

I know il need a cot but if it can sleep in there fron newborn do i really need a moses basket as well?

I know there handy for travelling but if i go to a friends LO will either be in a car seat or pushchair dont they just slep in there?

I just dont think it needs this many beds. I like moses baskets a lot but are they actually usefull?

What did you do? or what will you do when your LO is here?

Thanks all :)

I got a moses basket for Becky as well as her cot and now starting to regret it. At just over 6 weeks she's getting very close to being too long for it already. Luckily one of OH's colleagues has offered us a crib so that she can stay in with us until 6 months or so because our cot is just a bit big for our room. I laid her in her cot and it's scarily big for such a little person so I don't think I could have put her in there from birth.

We also got a playpen type thing (it's almost like a square cot) from OH's sister as it's very common for folk to have these in their living room in the Netherlands. I think it's fab and she sleeps in it during the day - it's also a great distinction for her between day and night as she can see out her playpen when she wakes up whereas her moses basket is in our room and she is already associating that with sleep and night time.

I would say overall not to spend a fortune on something that you won't use for very long unless, of course, you get it as a pressie from someone.

We are just going to buy a cot bed and take it from their, if she really doesnt like it then i have the carrycot part of her pram system and i have bought the mattress that can be used for overnight sleeping just in case but i am hoping that she will settle straight in the cot :pray:

keelie_b said:
I know there handy for travelling but if i go to a friends LO will either be in a car seat or pushchair dont they just slep in there?

For small babies its not advised to let them sleep/sit in infant carriers or pushchairs for extended time periods. Its recommended not letting babies spend longer than an hour at a time in such things. You need something a small baby can lie flatter in for longer time frames.

With regards to cot/crib or Moses basket it depends on your preference. But then also that of your baby. Some babies hate being in big cots and like to feel cosy for the first few months so a Moses basket or crib is better. Also a Moses basket can be taken downstairs in the day and double as somewhere for LO to sleep safely. But babies outgrow them quicker than cribs.

We are using a Moses basket atm and have done since birth. Our LO is growing out of it fast but we are happy we got one as he settles well in it and likes the snugness of it round him. We shall move him into a cot for nighttime in the next few weeks as he is really advanced in size etc for his age already.

We have a Moses basket in our bedroom as the cotbed we bought wouldn't fit. He will have to sleep in his own room when he outgrows the Moses basket but he is still a tiny thing :)
I'm not regretting the purchase of the Moses basket at all because he loves sleeping in it (and honestly I can't imagine him lost in a big cotbed), and being rocked thanks to the rocking stand, and it's great to be able to carry it around the flat and even in the garden 8)
So definitely a good buy for us :cheer:

I don't have room in bedroom straight away for a cot so we're getting a crib at weekend and have a lay flat car seat/carry cot so she can sleep in there in the day if needed. My sister never used her moses basket because my nephew didn't take to it at all it is very dependent on the baby and hard to know before hand if they will take to it or not perhaps you could get a cheap one off ebay if you would like one but worry about wasting money?

You can get a nice crib for about £60 inc mattress
And a moses basket for around £30 inc mattress

I'd go for one of these to start with. We have a swinging crib and i'm hoping baby will like it! If for any reason she doesn't i'll pop to argos and get a cheap moses basket! Moses baskets are prob very handy for moving around.

lil miss was in a cot from day one... tbh there is not much use for a moses basket.... they just seem to be a waste of money imo... you could spend that on some nice clothes or toys or even better... nappies!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My mum bought us a moses basket for Calleigh but she only slept in it for a few weeks, she started to hit her hands on the side and wake herself up.
She has a cotbed in her room but i wanted her to stay in with me and OH and the cotbed is too large and bulky to have in our room. So we bought a travel cot with basinette which she loves as she sleeps with her arms and legs spread :lol:

The travel cot will come in handy if she stays at my mums and will double up as a playpen too.

Each baby is different tho so its hard to predict what your baby will like.

If you do go for a moses basket just get yourself a cheap one as babies grow out of them so quickly even if they like sleeping in them. If you go for a bigger crib or cot and your baby feels a bit insecure in it you can always swaddle your baby.

HTH xx

Babies outgrow moses baskets really quickly. I used a swinging cradle in our room up until this week and now baby is in her own room. She looks tiny in her cot but I have placed rolled up towels either side of her (from belly button height down to end of cot, to stop her wriggling around and changing position- she did this once in the cradle and ended up with one of her legs stuck out of the side! :shock: The towels make her feel more snug I think and more secure. You can buy official baby positionaers from jojo maman bebe if you decide you want to put your newborn straight into a cot or a larger cradle.

As others have said it comes down to preference and budget also.

Personally, I wouldn't have been happy putting my baby straight into a cot, he was tiny. Newborns like to feel secure and moses baskets/cribs are better for offering that security.

We had a moses basket and used it up until our LO was 5.5 months old so we got good use out of it. It served it's purpose and we'll be able to get good use out of it again with this one.

It was handy to take up and down the stairs for use during the day and at night times.

Also, if you want baby in your room for the first few months as advised to help prevent cot death and don't have room for a cot. A moses basket/crib is the best way forward.

Have a look on ebay/local paper, you may get one really cheaply.

Ryan was out of his Moses Basket by 6 weeks, but we are still glad that we got it. We bought it off a friend second hand but bought a new mattress so it didn't cost us that much. Tbh if we hadn't had it, the cot would have been fine so long as we made sure he was swaddled. It did come in handy for relocating though, say if we wanted to have him sleep downstairs/in certain rooms. Add in the price of a stand too :) Best to look second hand if it were me starting over again, and just buy a new mattress.

I think this is down to personal choice.
Moses backets are ideal as ou can move them easily from room to room but on the other hand they do not last long.

Cribs are bigger but as there not very mobile so is it not better to have a cot once they out grow the moses basket???

Like I said its peronal choice hun.

We used a moses basket and then a cot but TBH she has never really settled in her cot properly so once she out grew her moses basket we started co-sleeping most of the night :D

we have a cot in our room next to my bed, a moses basket in the living room and it will go into a cot when it grows out of the crib, this is how i have done it with the 6 i have so far and it has worked well so will be doing it for number 7 too :D

I had moses basket and cot bed for Jam, basket was handy for havin in lounge when I was healin up after my section

I had a crib for my 3!
My first though hated it! Although it wasnt as big as a cot he was scared each time I put him in and in the end i had to wheel his pram in each night for the first few weeks and he slept in that! So I do wish I would have gotten a moses basket for him!
I will be getting one this time!

We borrowed a moses basket from a friend and I'm so glad we did! We were going to buy a crib but the moses basket has been far better for us and we will certainly buy one for our next baby. Being so light and portable means that one of us can take lo away to another room to settle her if she's stirring in the night so the other can get more sleep. We can move her easily to whichever room we are in so we have yet to use the baby monitor.

Before the birth I didn't think a moses basket would be much good and assumed we'd buy a crib early on but a moses basket is by far the better choice for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back