Moses basket versus crib???

Jodles

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've started looking at moses baskets and cribs, as my parents have offered to buy this for us. Ideally we'd like to keep the baby in our room for the first 6 months, and we don't have space for a cot.

I've read on here that sometimes babies outgrow their moses baskets after just a few weeks. But I wondered if anyone had any experience of cribs? My mum thinks they last up to 6 months, which would be better for us. But I also like the idea of being able to carry a moses basket around the house.

Does anyone have experience of cribs? I've found a gorgeous one online....

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/b ... ets/727431[/url]

It would look soooo cute!

Thanks!

Jo xxx

[/url]

Dylan has a moses basket and he outgrew it in 8 weeks but was so useful he could sleep downstairs and at others house 's in it...He then moves into a travel cot as there wasn't room for a cot in our room then at 7months old moved into his own cotbed in his room.
I would do the same again it worked for me

Some LO's love the cosy moses basket, some don't like them, I know Isaac never did, but he loves his cot - could be as he can see out of it, but every LO is different. Go with the basket, its much easier than a cot, especially space wise, you can always change it later if it doesn't work with your LO. Very best wishes, what a lovely present from your parents too :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think in hindsight, a crib would have been better for us as Finlay is already outgrowing his moses basket and we haven't any room in our bedroom for his cot so he is going to have to go into his own room sooner than liked.

Im swaying towards a crib too. Also, mothercare do a cot that has a drop down side so the cot can be positioned right next to your bed, but you say you dont have the room... no chance at all of squeezing it in? at least then you wont need crib and cot.

This is my dilema, drop down sided cot, or crib and cot...

I had Aaron in a moses basket for a few days but he didn't like it so I put him straight into the cot. My niece and nephew have both been in a crib and loved it! They are beautiful and so comfy looking!

tbh a moses basket was a complete waste of money for me... by 3 weeks Tia was already too long for it... so she ended up in the cot, with the cot beside my bed...

This time round, I'm just putting the baby straight in the cot.. I haven't even bothered getting a crib or moses basket.. They look lovely and cute, but here they are about 150€ up and that's the cheaper versions of the moses baskets.. the cribs are horrendously expensive. I'd much rather spend my money on the much needed baby clothes that babies seem to love to grow out of so fast :rotfl: :rotfl:

lauramleigh said:
i have got this crib for our bedroom ..

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.as...smoses/brunurserycotsmosesmosesbaskets/727466

but i have also brought a 2nd hand moses basket off ebay for downstairs. just got to get a new matress for it .

We have that crib too. We just set it up yesterday and it is so gorgeous :D
We bought a cot for the nursery as it's part of another range but that won't be used for some time as the baby will be in with us in the crib. We do have a moses basket for downstairs as we will spend a lot of time down there but don't expect to really use it for long.

We have both.

To be totaly honest, they were both a complete waste of time and money. Adam hates the moses basket, so we never use it. The crib seems too small width wise, as he is banging his little hands on the bars when he's awake.

We have a cot bed in his room which is too big for our room so that doesn't get used yet.

We found a travel cot to be perfect and it can be used as a play pen when Adam is older. Could have saved ourselves £200 if we'd bought that in the first place. xxx

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies - you have given me so much to think about.

Debbie - as you have both the crib and the moses basket, can you tell me if the crib is much bigger than the basket, so would last longer? Seems there are some issues with it being narrow.

I guess at the end of the day it depends on how big the baby is and how fast she grows - which is something that can't really be known in advance!!!!

Thanks again,

Jo xx

I have a moses basket but I have space constraints - I live in a studio flat and won't be moving before the baby is born

I have a crib and I love it - so does Dylan. I'm going to use it until he's 6 months then get a cotbed for him. The crib rocks but I hardly ever use that, I just think it's a great size and he always looks nice and cosy in it xx

we've gone for a moses basket again as the other one was fine for paris until she was 3 months - she then went into her cot

we have bought this crib....

Image001-3.jpg

Image006-2.jpg

but i am considering a moses basket for our lounge as well

when we looked at cribs and moses baskets, they looked pretty much the same size. so we went for the moses basket so we can put it in the car when we stay at nannies house.

I've always had a crib, never saw the point in moses baskets, a crib lasts for ages :)

We have a crib upstairs, and use the cosy carrycot that came with our travel system (graco tour deluxe) downstairs. To be honest, we shouldn't have bothered with the crib as he hasn't slept in it once. We co sleep upstairs. We do use the carrycot downstairs - it is wonderful, he falls asleep during the school run and will kip in it through most of the morning.

Keeley had both she slept during the day in her moses basket and at night in her crib.. she outgrew the moses basket within a few weeks.

We were lucky enough to be given the moses basket all we have to buy was a new matterss(sp)

If we had to buy one i wouldn't of bothered :) Babies are in moses baskets so little time i would save your money

We looked at both with our son and ended up with a moses basket. Both are about the same size, give or take a couple of inches, except a crib is slightly more solid and permanent. The major difference is the price really, both are expensive for the amount of time you will use it, but in my opinion you will get more value out of a moses basket. Depending on your baby, it will outgrow either within a few months at the most, so I think you will get more use out of a moses basket. The one good thing is that you can carry it around the house with you, our son used to sleep in our room at night then I would just take the basket downstairs in the day and use it there too. We also took it in the car and used it at friends and family's houses when needed, where you wouldn't be able to do this with a crib.

Either way, they will grow out of them very quickly, our son outgrew his by about 3 months and was then put into his cotbed in his own room, but for the first few months we definately got good use out of the basket and I will do the same with the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back