Morphine during labour

amandapanda

Reaction score
Was discussing pain relief choices with my midwife and she told me that Sheffield hospitals don't give Pethadine injections, instead they give morphine...has anyone ever had this? I did some research on Pethadine online but can't find much info on morphine in labour....am sure when the time comes I'll be begging for it though, ha ha!! xx

Never heard of giving morphine during labour. Did she not have a flyer she could give you? Perhaps discuss with your NCT/ childbirth class teacher, if you are doing them?

i had gas and air and morphine with my 5 year old worked a treat :) xx

I had diamorphine with my first birth, maybe that's what she means. It made me very sleepy and I just wanted to close my eyes, it's often given so you can have a rest, unfortunatley I was given it at about 10cm as they gave it before they assesed how dilated I was, consequently I had an assisted delivery as I couldn't have told you my name let alone push a baby out!? If this is what she means, then it's great for a sleep etc early on but be wary if you're later on in labour. Also my daughter just slept the whole day afterwards and we had to wake her to feed. Hope that hasn't scared you, it think I was just given it too late in labour and they hadn't expected me to be fully dilated. x

ye is was diamorphine i had to, i think u must have been given it too late and Must depend on ur labour as i was able to push and was pretty with it still prob felt more spaced out off the gas and air at first (very wird feeling i thought lol ). near the end i was only allowed gas and air as i was past the stage where they could give me more morphine as they said it can cause the baby to be drowsey and they dont usually want that and he was so close to being born. Guess every1 will take to things different i wasnt tired at all through the labour but soon as he was out and i had seen and held him i was shattered. x

I think I was given it too late, I was on the drip so the midwife seemed a bit gobsmaked to find I was 10 cm, had been 4 cm 3 hours before............ As it was my first birth I didn't realise the pain that came really bad was baby moving down. Hence I was given diamorphine.

its hard the first time when u dont know what to expect isnt it.. I think im more nervous this time round as i now know what to expect lol x

yeah i had one lot of diamorphine when i was about 6cm and lasted for a few hours but unfortunately for me it wore off b4 i started pushing and there wasnt time for more ! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back