Whats everyone doing for pain relief in labour?

Princess_Puddles said:
Cloughie said:
JaidyBaby said:
Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:
i never yad anything for all 3 of mine so won have anything this time round
Wow, you must be so much tougher than me. After 20 hours of contractions and throwing up, I couldn't take any more and was crying out for the drugs which got me through the next 12!

What made you throw up then?

Just being in labour, it's quite common apparently.

Oh I'm even more worried now, call me a wimp but i haven't been physically sick in atleast 10 years!! the last time i remember was when i was 7 years old with a bug and it was that bad that I get so worked up if someone else is sick or feels it, sounds stupid but i think its my biggest fear :oops:

Hun, it doesnt sound stupid at all. Im petrified of it. Sometimes I wont do things cos im so scared of it!!! Your not alone, its one of the top 10 most conmon phobias.

JaidyBaby said:
Princess_Puddles said:
Cloughie said:
JaidyBaby said:
Cloughie said:
[quote="loulou1980":cib55l3d]i never yad anything for all 3 of mine so won have anything this time round
Wow, you must be so much tougher than me. After 20 hours of contractions and throwing up, I couldn't take any more and was crying out for the drugs which got me through the next 12!

What made you throw up then?

Just being in labour, it's quite common apparently.

Oh I'm even more worried now, call me a wimp but i haven't been physically sick in atleast 10 years!! the last time i remember was when i was 7 years old with a bug and it was that bad that I get so worked up if someone else is sick or feels it, sounds stupid but i think its my biggest fear :oops:

Hun, it doesnt sound stupid at all. Im petrified of it. Sometimes I wont do things cos im so scared of it!!! Your not alone, its one of the top 10 most conmon phobias.[/quote:cib55l3d]

Thank god i'm not alone :hug: ...My family & my OH think I'm weird & give me alot of greif over it :roll:
Whats syntometrine? lol :oops:

No your not alone my sweet not at all!!! Its actually got a name its called Emetaphobia.

I was so bad when I was in my early teens that I never used to eat in fear I would be sick!! Everyone thought I was anorexic but that wasnt the case at all. Im better than I was, I eat normally most of the time now but I know il always be frightened of it. There are lots of things I wont do though like going on a boat and I get really nervous going clubbing and watching programmes like Casualty incase some one pukes :oops:

I know 2 other people that have the phobia hun, and like I said its actually really common, but lots of people try to hide it because its not a phobia that everyone can get their head round.

The synotometrine is the injection they give you to deliver the placenta, and apparantly it can make some women really sick!! So I have put on my birth plan that I only want it if its absolutely NECESSARY lol

Dont worry Cloughie, you havent scared me. If im going to be sick in labour then im going to be sick...it scares the crap out of me and im sweating thinking about it but im still going to avoid things that may make me puke just in case!!

Ps Nikki you give me hope!

JaidyBaby said:
No your not alone my sweet not at all!!! Its actually got a name its called Emetaphobia.

I was so bad when I was in my early teens that I never used to eat in fear I would be sick!! Everyone thought I was anorexic but that wasnt the case at all. Im better than I was, I eat normally most of the time now but I know il always be frightened of it. There are lots of things I wont do though like going on a boat and I get really nervous going clubbing and watching programmes like Casualty incase some one pukes :oops:

I know 2 other people that have the phobia hun, and like I said its actually really common, but lots of people try to hide it because its not a phobia that everyone can get their head round.

The synotometrine is the injection they give you to deliver the placenta, and apparantly it can make some women really sick!! So I have put on my birth plan that I only want it if its absolutely NECESSARY lol

Dont worry Cloughie, you havent scared me. If im going to be sick in labour then im going to be sick...it scares the crap out of me and im sweating thinking about it but im still going to avoid things that may make me puke just in case!!

I'm really happy i'm not the only one who gets like this, I've always felt such a freak and when friends/family are ill i just run away and leave them cause i cannot handle it & i get so worked up and upset. I must admit i eat whatever i feel like but i always have to cook it for that extra bit longer & still check it once its on my plate :roll: Lol If i buy mayo i open it once and wont touch it again even though it says it will be ok for a few weeks on the jar.
:cheer: Woo can finally say i have proof i'm not the only one with this lol :lol:

Princess_Puddles said:
JaidyBaby said:

I'm really happy i'm not the only one who gets like this, I've always felt such a freak and when friends/family are ill i just run away and leave them cause i cannot handle it & i get so worked up and upset. I must admit i eat whatever i feel like but i always have to cook it for that extra bit longer & still check it once its on my plate :roll: Lol If i buy mayo i open it once and wont touch it again even though it says it will be ok for a few weeks on the jar.
:cheer: Woo can finally say i have proof i'm not the only one with this lol :lol:

I could have written that myself!!!! Im SO fussy with food, like you I HAVE to make sure its throughly cooked. I wouldnt DARE eat foods like shellfish etc incase it made me bad!!

If you ever want to talk about it (I find it helps to talk and its such a relief when you find someone that suffers too) feel free to PM me hun and il give you my email address.

:hug:

I'm like that with food aswell don't worry guys, I cook chicken breasts for 10 or 15minutes longer, it freaks me out seeing it raw :|

I was sick in labour, but that was because I had been sucking on G&A for about 6 hours or so. I didn't think it was that common

JaidyBaby said:
I could have written that myself!!!! Im SO fussy with food, like you I HAVE to make sure its throughly cooked. I wouldnt DARE eat foods like shellfish etc incase it made me bad!!

If you ever want to talk about it (I find it helps to talk and its such a relief when you find someone that suffers too) feel free to PM me hun and il give you my email address.:hug:

Thankyou ever so much hun :hug: Feels so nice to have someone i can talk to about it after so long. My msn address is [email protected] if you ever want to chat too.xXx

In defence of Pethadine....

I really didn't want it, was the only drug was dead set against cause of the nausea thing, but I had to spend 9 hours in active labour on a shared ward where I couldn't get to the gas and air and had it out of desperation.

It really helped 'zone me out' without killing the pain totally and I didn't feel sick in the slightest. Ended up having it twice during the long labour!!
That's why I always say 'never say never!' :)

i am going to see how i go and keep an open mind, and take the advice of the midwives at the time. i'm not against anything although i would like to be quite active during labour and be up walking around.

I would keep a totally open mind when it comes to pain relief so not to be disappointed. I like a lot of girls wanted to go totally natural but was open to G&A. I ended up not using G&A at all, just couldn't bring myself to do it! I had a shot of diamorphine which spaced me out and made me sick. My biggest no no was the epidural and guess what I had one haha. Was lucky though because I needed a c section so they just topped me right up. Seriously be open girls some things are out of your hands when it comes to giving birth and if you need a c section you'll need pain relief obviously. At the end of the day you don't get a medal for any of it, everyone will be proud of you no matter how the baby comes out and with what drugs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back