Whats everyone doing for pain relief in labour?

cab'o'holic said:
I am going to stick to just gas and air no way im having the pethadine again, I was to drowsy and sick

Exactly the same as me hun,i am sure the pethadine slowed their heartbeat down too,not gonna touch the stuff this timexx

nikki1306 said:
cab'o'holic said:
I am going to stick to just gas and air no way im having the pethadine again, I was to drowsy and sick

Exactly the same as me hun,i am sure the pethadine slowed their heartbeat down too,not gonna touch the stuff this timexx

Yeah thay had to monitor his heart all the way through the labour and I could'nt move about then.

No i didn't like pethadine either. Didn't take away any pain but i didn't know what i was doing. Whats the point?

I'm gunning for an epidural! I want as little pain as possible.
No pethadine for me though either. And as much gas and air as I can get!
I'm scared!

Im not making a plan..im just going to do whatever is needed on the day. :wink: :wink:

JaidyBaby said:
I am open to gas and air and an epidural but NO WAY am I going to have pethadine, just a personal choice.
I said exactly the same with my first pregnancy, I didn't want pethidine because it can make the baby drowsy. However, once I actually got into labour I was progressing so slowly (32 hours in total), and I really couldn't cope with the pain on just gas and air, and I wasn't dilated enough for an epidural, I ended up having pethidine. The midwife assured me that I was progressing so slowly that by the time I would be ready to deliver, all of the pethidine would be out of the baby's system.

If I find myself in a similar situation again this time, I won't hesitate to have pethidine. If it goes quicker than last time I will try to hold on and just have the epidural instead, but I've learnt from experience - never say never!

Well like you said Cloughie, you dont know whats going to happen but im pretty stubborn when I want to be, Im open to anything but really have my heart set against the pethadine! I have heard hardly any good tales about pethadine so im going to try and stay away the best I can :D

JaidyBaby said:
have heard hardly any good tales about pethadine so im going to try and stay away the best I can :D

Me too JaidyBaby, I'm cr*pping myself over the whole experience but after everything i've heard about pethadine for me its a 'NO GO' Alot of people have told me they felt like they were on the ceiling and felt so spaced out that they didnt enjoy or even some couldnt remember most of their birth, so i'm all for Tens machines, Water, Gas & Air & either a walking epidural or if needs be a full on epidural!!

Mica
xXx

Princess_Puddles said:
JaidyBaby said:
have heard hardly any good tales about pethadine so im going to try and stay away the best I can :D

Me too JaidyBaby, I'm cr*pping myself over the whole experience but after everything i've heard about pethadine for me its a 'NO GO' Alot of people have told me they felt like they were on the ceiling and felt so spaced out that they didnt enjoy or even some couldnt remember most of their birth, so i'm all for Tens machines, Water, Gas & Air & either a walking epidural or if needs be a full on epidural!!

Mica
xXx

I didn't know where i was on pethidine,felt out of control,panicky and like i wasn't even in my own body,i still remember being wheeled through to delivery thinking where am i, what's going on,praying i can go without it this time :pray: xx

i never yad anything for all 3 of mine so won have anything this time round

loulou1980 said:
Wow, you must be so much tougher than me. After 20 hours of contractions and throwing up, I couldn't take any more and was crying out for the drugs which got me through the next 12!

Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:
Wow, you must be so much tougher than me. After 20 hours of contractions and throwing up, I couldn't take any more and was crying out for the drugs which got me through the next 12!

lol my labours werent that long(excuse typos have got false nails om so mission imposs a mo)i was in slow labour with first for a week but i was just contracting slowly and i dialated a few cm,all labours wete less than 12,with my last i was in active labour for 4 hrs :D

loulou1980 said:
Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:

lol my labours werent that long(excuse typos have got false nails om so mission imposs a mo)i was in slow labour with first for a week but i was just contracting slowly and i dialated a few cm,all labours wete less than 12,with my last i was in active labour for 4 hrs :D

With mine I was in slow labour for 8 days before proper labour started, but it still took him ages to pop out!! Apparently he was lying sideways, which is why it took so long.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a much quicker one this time. One of my friends just had her 2nd baby, her entire labour was 1 hour 10 minutes from start to finish!!

With Damien I started off saying I wanted an active labour, in a birthing pool, with just gas and air. My god how you can't plan! my advice is go with the flow, don't write anything down on yur birth plan unless it's an absolute must, or definate no.

Mine says no pethadine and that's it. With Damien, I ended up glued to my bed as moving was too painful with the gas and air firmly in my gob from 3cm till I pushed. No birthing pool as he was prem.

This time I'll just go with the flow again. Your body knows what it has to do and if you let your body do what it needs to and don't tense too much (yes I know it's scary though!) then it'll be easier for you, I swear by self beleif.

But I'll be on G&A again this time, nothing else if it goes the same way as it did last time (pain wise). It was a very short but intense labour and I was shocked I lasted on just G&A :lol:

nikki1306 said:
Princess_Puddles said:
JaidyBaby said:

Mica
xXx

I didn't know where i was on pethidine,felt out of control,panicky and like i wasn't even in my own body,i still remember being wheeled through to delivery thinking where am i, what's going on,praying i can go without it this time :pray: xx

Yeah right Nikki, I have heard so many stories like yours, for every good story I hear about pethadine I hear about 50 bad ones. Ive even told OH that they are to tell the MW's not to even bother asking me if I want it, im that adamant Il go without it.

Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:

What made you throw up then?

JaidyBaby said:
Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:

Just being in labour, it's quite common apparently.

Cloughie said:
JaidyBaby said:
Cloughie said:
loulou1980 said:

Just being in labour, it's quite common apparently.

Oh I'm even more worried now, call me a wimp but i haven't been physically sick in atleast 10 years!! the last time i remember was when i was 7 years old with a bug and it was that bad that I get so worked up if someone else is sick or feels it, sounds stupid but i think its my biggest fear :oops:

Oh GREAT I have a huge phobia of being :puke: and I mean a HUGE phobia!!!!!!

Thats another reason I dont want the pethadine, and im reluctant to have the syntometrine afterwards in case it makes me sick!!!!! Ive been terrified of it my whole life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back