Monsters....

jellybean

Reaction score
Any advise would be gratefully appreciated as we really dont know what to do. I have a little boy who has just turned 3yrs, we have been very lucky with him in every respect, but in the last few weeks we have seen behavioural changes which include not listening, answering back and generally not being very nice! We have put it down to an age thing, but we have also had some changes going on with preparing for baby number 2 and the biggest is that he is currently sleeping in our room as we are decorating his. For the past week he has been playing up each bedtime and keeps saying that the monsters are scaring him. i have no idea where he has got this from as we have never frightened him with anything and have never mentioned monsters, only thing I can think of is that he watches 'scooby doo' that has monsters. I read somewhere that you should never say that it is silly and that there are no monsters as this makes the child feel like they are they only one that sees them, but last night he woke up hysterical saying that the monsters were getting him-it really disturbed me. I am at a stage where I dont know what to do as I have tried the whole 'monsters are friendly' approach and have tried the 'ok monsters have now gone' approach, I now do not know what to do for the best and am just hoping that once he is back in his room which should be this weekend that things will be abit better! Sorry for the long winded explanation:-(.

Tough one hun :hug: Doed he know there is a new baby coming? (i assume he does coz you will have a canny bump lol) Maybe his behaviour changes are because he is anxious about it. The monsters, well he could be having bad dreams or night terrors. Or maybe one of his cousins or a young member of family has been saying things to him?? Hopefully it is a phase that will pass quickly with reassurance from you xx

Lacey went through a stage where she kept saying there were monsters in her cupboard so I used to have to show her there are no monsters! We then used to joke and say daddy is the only monster and if there was monsters, he'd scare them away! It worked though she never mentions them
now!

That must be really distressing for all of you; it could be night terrors, I used to have them when I was little and it was really frightening :( Perhaps its psychological relating to the new baby; whichever it is I hope it resolves for you all soon x

Thanks guys, I really do hope it resolves soon. He knows that there is a new baby due to come and seems quite excited about it, he is always saying that when the baby comes he is going to help feed her and change her etc. I keep trying to explain that once the baby is here, that we cannot send her back! He seems to have grasped the idea, but I guess time will tell on that one! What are night terrors? I dont think I have heard of them?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back