Migraine in Pregnancy..What medication?

JSS

Reaction score
When I frst found out I was pregnant my GP told me that I could take Migraleve. Today I seen a locum GP who told me I should not take them and should only really take paracetemol! Now I am worried as I have had about 4 migraines since being pregnant and have taken 1 pink migraleve each time. I usually take 2 pills but as I am pregnant I am trying to cut back. Does anyone else suffer migraines. What has been your experience with medication? Paracetemol does nothing for me.

Hi

Can you just take a normal pain killer or do you need to take anything stronger , we have different names for meds out here so i cant really help you but i hope they go away .
Katrina :hug:

Unfortunatly normal pain meds do nothing for my migraines. I need the strong migraine medications. Migraleve is an over the counter medication but it does say on the packaging that you should consult your doctor if you are taking it while pregnant.

i suffered from bad migraine before pregnancy and i worried that when i was preg i would be unable to take anything.
Migraleve did nothing for me, but i was told i couldnt take anything other than paracetamol.
I used to use syndol which was great, all the triptans were terrible i never got on with them.
The doctor gave me a prescription for Paramax - which is soluable and contains something to stop you feeling sick. i was surprised that they worked really well, i couldnt take them when breast feeding so lived off 500mg paracetamol soluable,
He said to try soluable as they get in to the system faster than tablets, sometimes with a migraine your gut stops working so the tablet just sits there, where as soluable will get absorbed.

I also found that my migraines have become less since being preg and having Ewan. paracetamol cures them just about now but at one time it would never have touched it!

I used to have up to 3 a week,now have about 1 or 2 a month.
I also use a magnetic braclet which can help with migraines,
If i can help any more then please pm me i know how bad migraines can be. i know a forum and a migraine association,

Thanks for the reply.

I will ask my doctor about paramax. It might be worth trying.

I hadn't thought of trying a soluable form of paracetemol. Hopefully this will be more effective. I know what you mean about the stomach not absorbing the pills. If I am sick (even hours later) they usually come back up whole. (sorry...tmi!) So it's a bit pointless taking them.

It's funny because before I was pregnant Migraleve didnt work at all for me. In fact nothing I have tried has actually worked (including the triptans) and I have tried a lot of drugs as I have suffered for about 12 years now. But since I have been pregnant even just one Migraleve pill takes the pain away within an hour. The migraines do seem to be slightly milder than normal, although they are more frequent.

Do you have any idea why the magnetic bracelet helps? I have never heard of this.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It's good to know I'm not alone.

i've been wearing mine for about 3 months and i have noticed that the migraines are not as bad. they can help for other problems too.
if you give me and email i with you address i can send you details or havea look at my website which is in my profile.

Thanks Hypnorm. I had a look at your website. I will speak to my doc about the Paramax. If that doesn't help I may consider the magnetic bracelet. x

i had a really bad migraine lasting 3 days.midwife said i could take codydramol but doc refused and said i was only allowed to take paracetamol,dont think they really know what you can and cant take

I have just had a migraine lasting 7 days, My doctor phoned up the hospital and they said i could take a low dose of co-codamol and if that didnt work i may have to go into hospital. It worked and my migraine has now subsided but I still have a head ache. I cant wait to get into the second trimester, my doctor said i will feel a lot better then as my hormones will settle down. Im 9 weeks and counting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back