Medication Whilst Pregnant

wannabe.pg

Reaction score
Although I am only almost in my 2WW now (as from tomorrow yay!!), I have been wondering about medications I can take when I do fall pregnant.

I currently use ibruprofen for headaches etc but understand this isnt recommended through pregnancy so is normal paracetamol ok, or do you need something special.

Also, I use antihistamines for some allergies but reading the packet today it says not for use by pregnant women, so do you know if there is one that is safe or if I will just have to suffer?!

And is there anything else I should know about do's and don'ts of over the counter medication? :)

You can't take any anti inflammatories so ibruprofen is out. Paracetamol is fine.

As a fellow allergy sufferer the advice is to cope as best you can but if you can't you have to have something prescribed from the dr.
New antihistamine like Benedryl and clarityn are not to be used.
The dr can prescribe what is known as a first generation drug (similar to piriton) but be aware these drugs are NOT non drowsy (as I have found to my detriment this weekend) so at the moment I'm using eye drops from dr only (and feel like death) x

bugger, was hoping there was something as it's a food allergy mainly so will suffer year round not just in the summer!!! grrr!! thanks for your advice xx

They can prescribe an antihistamine but as I say, it's not a non drowsy.
Can you try to avoid the food as much as poss? Although you probably already do this! x

well, it seems to be citric acid which is in almost everything but there may be something herbal i can take, i will see what i can find, but thanks for your advice x

I stop taking things like ibruprofen etc as soon as I am about to ovulate and don't take anything you are not supposed to take while preg in the 2ww - may be being over cautious, but hey it can't hurt. lol

Anything that thins blood like some painkillers (other than paracetamol) could interfere with implantation right? ;)

As for the food allergy, wouldn't it be kinder on your body to avoid the food allergen rather than take something to conteract the allergy? or is it something that cannot be avoided?

The allergy seems to be citric acid and whilst i am trying to avoid it, it's in pretty much everything!!!! someone said eat only fresh fruit and veg etc but it's in citric fruits obviously and tomatos, so even things with a tomato base, cooked fresh like pizza and spag bol are out!! I am trying to find alternatives but it's taking a while. For the sake of TTC I am either avoiding or putting up with the itching that I get when I eat it, would rather have a healthy baby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back