Might sound like a silly question but......

Vickyleigh

Reaction score
I just made an appointment with the midwife for tomorrow but how would she be able to tell if I am going to go into labour early? Will she want to do an internal to see if I'm dilated and how do they know if you are dilated?

I think when they do a sweep they somehow know the status of your cervix, so assuming she'd probably do that on you? :think: Don't know how they know though..

I would think she wil do an internal to see if you are dilating and whats your cervix is like :D

They can tell if your cervix has thinned I think :think:

They can tell by how soft it is and they can tell how effaced it is, and if it's dilated. If they can get one finger in, it's one cm dilated etc.....

I'm a bit of an expert, I had about a hundred of these examinations with two of my three pregnancies, as my cervix was effacing and dilating early.

Sammystar said:
They can tell by how soft it is and they can tell how effaced it is, and if it's dilated. If they can get one finger in, it's one cm dilated etc.....

When I see the m/w tomorrow (at the doctors surgery as usual) and tell her how I've been feeling will she tell me then and there to get my under cackers off or will she say I have to go some where else to do it?

at my appointment on friday she didn't do an internal.

I think unless there is a specific reason for them to do one they generally don't.

K.xx

i was 1cm when i went in thursday evening by fri morn i was 8cm :O

so if your saying if they get one finger in, your 1cm dilated....
So they have to get 10 fingers in when ya 10 cms dilated?! that cant be right

no, they only stick a few fingers in at any time. They move them around over your cervix once inside so they can get an idea of how wide your cervix is.

Your vagina doesn't dilate, so they wouldn't be able to fit 10 fingers in!!!

K.,xxx

Ive got midwife tomorrow and was also wondering whether she will do an internal as i'm overdue.
But she did say they will let me go overdue by 2 weeks, not sure if i could manage that!!!!

What time you going Vick? Really interested to hear what they say and do......

Piglet xx

My appointment is at 2:40 but I actually feel fine again today so I think she is going to tell me what I have been feeling is normal well I hope she does because I really dread the thought of her sticking her fingers in me bits! :shakehead: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back