midwife,what midwife?!

sarahking

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Im aftre a bit of advide and info about what your midwife has been doin for you. I know we are all roughly at same stage. I have only seen my midwife twice, once at 7weeks to confirm and then she came to my house at 12 weeks and thats my lot! i have had a scan but only due to spotting! i mentioned 12week scan to her but she just told me i was being old fashioned! im only 21 years old, thought 12week scan was normal, thats what all my mags say!

She told me that id get a scan at 18weeks and an appointment would come through the post. So far it hasnt! (technically i suppose she has 4days before i really moan!)

I have been reading all your posts and you all sound like your midwifes are fantastic. I havent been offered any downs syndrome test or anything. Sorry if im moaning over nothing but if you could let me know if you are similar or not? :?

I have never done this before and when you feel you need all the contact and help in the world from your midwife i cant even remember what she looks like! i have visions of me giving birth alone at this rate!

If you could kindly fill me in on your ecxperiences i would be very grateful!

Take care girls xxxx

Sarah x
Ps sorry to moan x :cry:

Hi Sarah, That does sound quite slack maybe its because they are really under staffed in your area, not that this should be a good enough reason. This is my third and i'm sure they think i should know all the in's and outs because i feel they have totally left me to go it alone, being a "pro" now :?
with my second pregnancy i didnt have a scan at 12wks because i had an earlier scan, so they dated me then, the next one i had was at 20 wks and i only started seeing the midwife towards the end of my second trimester. if your not happy you can contact the midwifes board and they should look into the matter and perhaps change your midwife, this may mean you have to travel further for appointments tho.
Do you know any other women in your area that have had children and seen this midwife?
Hope you get it sorted you should feel as tho your being looked after.

Good luck xx

Hi ya,

I had my first visit at 10 weeks, meant to be from 8-12 weeks then again at 15 weeks to get all the tests done. I never had a 12 week scan as some areas don't. I had my 20 weeks scan at the hospital so no midwife appointment there and I had my appointment date through 3 weeks before the appointment.

The down syndrome test is done between 15-20 weeks, have you had any tests at all.

The start of the pregnancy has always been strange when it comes to midwife appointments they are about 10 weeks between and then get nearer together the further you are gone.

Call your midwife and tell her that it all seems strange. Different districts have different rules etc. I was not happy about the scan and as I had lost 2 before I wanted a 12 week one but would have gone provate. I had one at 7 weeks, 10 weeks and 11 weeks because of bleeding but if i hadn't have had that I wouldn;t have had one till my 20 weeks scan.

Definately call your midwife and she will probably tell you that it's normal it's just the area you live in.

Hope that helps chick.

Em xx

Hi Sarah, my area do two scans one at 16 weeks and one at 20 weeks. In Scotland you only get one scan, so it does vary on where you are. Also as Emma says you dont get very many appointments in the earlier weeks, and they become more frequent as you get further on. My midwife gave me a shedule, saying what appointments I have with who at each stage, eg 16week dating scan with sonographer, 20 week midwife check and bloods etc . . . perhaps ask your midwife if she can give you a similar shedule so you kno whats happening and when?

Hi ya,

Cat is right they do normally give a schedule. I am sure I have one in my notes somewhere, I have seen it but ages ago. Like Cat said if there isn't ask for one.

Em xx

Hi Sarah,

I have had one appointment with my midwife and she said i would recieve a letter from the hospital with my scan date and if it didn't come within two weeks to ring them.
The appointment came quite quickly and i've just had it (at 12 weeks), my next one is at 20wks.

Maybe you should ring up to chase it?

Vicky x

I had my first midwife appointment at my home when i was 8 weeks then had 12 week scan, then had a midwife app at my GP's at 16 weeks, then 20 week scan, and just had my 24 week GP app, due my 28 week check up with Midwife at GP's end of August, All my dates were written down for me of when to make appointments, I have to admit its all been pretty good for me so far!!!

Natalie x

We only get one scan in my area....... they dont even like to give extra scans in emergency situations

ok being a student nurse... i'll give you all a lecture :lol:

nhs has to do things set by NICE (national institute for health and clinical excellence) guidelines.... as long as they follow there guidelines thats normal... only if they do different you can complain. but every area have their way of doing things.. 20 week scan is the only scan needed... its just the detect any abnormalities.

NICE... states antenetal appointments should be done as these following intervals:

*first appointment
*16 weeks
*18-20 weeks
*25 weeks
*28 weeks
*31 weeks
*34 weeks
*36 weeks
*28 weeks
*40 weeks
then every week until you go over 12 days then u wud be induced.

also things like scan for downs etc are normally done on middle age women or some one who has history of such thing in their family... if you are at no risk they wont test.... testing is alot of money and wud be a waste... if your worried you can get test donw privately. they would know if you were at risk from your medical notes and she would have asked details of family medical history on your 1st appoinment.

please dont worry so much.. midwife do their jobs every day.. you may be soo ecxcited about being pregnant, but to them your still very early on... once you getting further into your pregnancy you will find your midwife will change her attitude towards you.

lol sorry for the lecture... just give it time.... you will be fed up with ur midwife fussing lol

hope this helps

love elaine and bump

Thanks girls for replying and all your help!

Just spoke to someone who just had baby in my area (halifax west yorks) and she didnt get scan til around 18weeks. Guess your right, depends on area etc.

i will chill out and if not heard anything from her by 20 wks then i will get on to it! Think i am a natural born worrier! have bought a doppler so can hear heart beat whenevr i feel i need to (most evenings!) so there is deffinately a lively little bean in there! so that puts my mind at rest!

Thanks a lot girls, will keep you posted if any more probs! :lol: :lol:

I hope i never have to see my midwife personally, wudnt bother me if i didnt set eyes on her again i hate her. Ive only met her once aswell, wen she filled out all my paperwork for me, i thought i may have been over reactin but wen i shared my feelings with my sister and a friend who had the same midwife as i now have they sed they didnt like her either.

I had a scan and aload of tests at 13.4 weeks, this was my 12 week scan, everyone was so nice there, im considerin now changin where i have my baby to , to the birth centre where i have all my scans and tests cos i love em all they are so nice. I have another scan in three weeks, yeahh cant wait. They also offered loads of extra tests and classes to me at the hospital. Luckily i will not have to see my midwife till i am 24 weeks, thank god for that, if she is really as bad as i remember her to be tho, im gonna request a different midwife.

bec x x x

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad but just wanted to say that I can't fault the care I have been provided in my area (Hull). I first saw my GP at 4 weeks. When I had spotting at 7 weeks, my GP referred me for a scan the next day. Then I saw my GP at 8 weeks, scan and 1st midwife appointment at 12 weeks, GP at 14 weeks, midwife at 16 weeks (also triple test at 16 weeks). Then I have my next scan at 20 weeks, GP at 21 weeks, midwife at 24 weeks, then every two weeks, I am seen either by my GP or my midwife (intermittantly). I am really sorry for the people who don't feel they have received the level of care they expect.

my gp and midwife have been really good. I had a few problems at the start of my preganacy, the doc got me a scan for the next day. My midwife has been good to, this is the second pregnancy i have had wiv her, she delievered my 2nd boy, so am hoping she will deliver our little girl ( having home deliverly ). I dnt see my midwife as much, but i do think its coz my 3rd time round :) .

I love my midwife, she is the same one I had when I had my little boy 4 years ago.

Unfortunalty I don;t get a 20 week scan herem which I think is awful, but that's the hopsital, not the midwife's fault.

I am paying for a 26 week 3D scan which will check for abnormalities too. I asked if I should have it sooner, but really, if there was something wrong, what would I do about it anyway?

If anyone is concerned and doesn't want to ask you midwife directly, she should work out of an office (with other midwives) so you could alway ring and ask them, or the ante-natel desk at the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back