Midwife Led Units - Quick Question

beckyboo1

Reaction score
Hi LAdies i know i'm a bit cheeky posting in here but hardly anyone left in tri 3 i know, and baby and toddler gets a lot of action!!

To cut a long story short have been for a sweep this afternoon, but not at he hospital due to give birth in. Although part of the same NHS trust, it is a midwife led unit.

to be honest found it so relaxing and peaceful in there, and the midwife who examined me was lovely. She said i should seriously consider going tere as i seemed so relaxed about the whole thing, and i think she's right!

Obviously if pip doesn't put in an appearance before wednesday, its out of the question as i'm getting induced, but just wondered if any of you gave birth in MLU and what were your experiences...were you worred about having to be transferred if something went wrong, or worried as you can;t have an epidural (not something i want at all)

Any opinions greatly received!! xx

I didn't give birth in a midwife led unit but then I was induced. It sounds like a nice idea but wouldn't have been for me. like you I didn't want an epidural but once the drip went in and contraction were so painful and close togethr I opted for an epidural and it was the best thing I could have done.

I think its so hard to decide on where to have your baby - I decided on a hospital birth as it was my first and I didnt know what to expect.

Best of luck, hope all goes well xxx

I liked the mw led unit, well what I think was the midwife led unit?? In my hospital it's called the low dependency suite and the rooms are like travel lodges! There are baths and the midwifed teach massage and put lavender oil in the bath for you.

I made it to the low dependency unit when I was first admitted. They can give you pethidine and gas and air there I think, well that's what I had anyways.

What happens if your labour doesn't progress? Presumably they send you back to the other place?

I would have loved to have given birth there. But it didn't work out like that.

I had both mine in mw unit and loved it having ur own room and own bathroom was great. I loved the relaxed atmosphere and didnt worry about no epidural as if your that desperate they'll transfer you. I worried about all the what ifx but the mw are trained and are less likely to intervene unless needed. I had my 1 st back to back on gas and air, his heart rate dropped seriously low there was an ambulance on stand by and a resuscitation machine ready for if episiotomy didnt get him out quick enough, luckily it did but they were so calm I didnt realise the danger he was in but my oh did. I cant praise them enough. He was fine didnt need any treatment and cried straight away. I had my second in same unit, it was a super quick birth just me, oh and mw. They also tend to be more supportive after with bf etc.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

I did and I loved it! All the ladies were lovely. I will def be having bubs number 2 there. :) xx

Thanks ladies. Tbh hadn't even considered it til today just cos it's slightly further away mileage wise but actually takes similar amount of time to get to

Although was only there for a sweep it just felt so peaceful -they only have 4 rooms so never that busy.

So difficult

I was led to believe it was this state of the art thing where you'd have one on one care, but it was the complete opposite, we were left alone for most of the time, I had to call MWs when I couldn't take it any more (which they didn't seem to care for), I had to beg for gas and air, and finally I was so desperate for an epidural, I asked to be transferred.

I was led to believe it was this state of the art thing where you'd have one on one care, but it was the complete opposite, we were left alone for most of the time, I had to call MWs when I couldn't take it any more (which they didn't seem to care for), I had to beg for gas and air, and finally I was so desperate for an epidural, I asked to be transferred.

Its funny how its different in places I was never left alone even when early on and they were busy shame you didnt get what you expected

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

ISH - i thought it was you that had had a bad experience...i guess you just never know what care you're going to get where

It was the staff, really; I'm sure other MLBUs are great, but it's best to find out before you make a decision.

I had a mixed bag with the staff. Not sure if it was because when I was admitted I wasn't quite in established labour or not though.

We started in the suite at 10pm and were left to it. I was told I could have paracetamol and they would run me a bath but that was all they could do for me at this stage. :shock: she barely came to check me and we felt a bit isolated.

The next mw on the day shift at 7 was FABULOUS. She had a maternity assistant with her too. They were both bloody brilliant. They calmed me down, talked me through the contractions, ran me lavender baths, brought the gas and air into the bath, helped me with my hypnotherapy, gave me pep talks. I had fantastic care from both of them. I was a bit gutted when I worked out I wasn't going to deliver my baby with their help :( she did take me to the high dependency suite and stayed with me there until her shift finished which was great.

Mine was brilliant, I was the only person in the unit the whole time I was there. It felt so personal, rather than the conveyor belt of the hospital. The mw that helped us had taken my anti natal class.

I had a wee worry half way through about wanting to transfer for an epi - but the half hour drive to hosp, meant the idea passed quick.

I'll def be aiming for their for any more births. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back