• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Midwife is away so what am I missing out on??

Shelley

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's my first and I'm about 9-10 weeks pregnant and have been to the docs weeks ago. After still not hearing from the midwife I called the docs and the hospital and they said she's off for 4 weeks and that there was no replacement! I belong to a ye olde village surgery that probably only has lil old me pregnant. i don't want to wait another 2 an a half weeks for her to get back and really need my dating scan as my last period was only for a day and wasn't very heavy, plus my mum thinks I'm further than 9 weeks.

What am i missing out on that I need to get done in the first 10-12 weeks? The hospital just say I need scans doing but are not doing anything to help me and the doctors say they've written to the hospital today to request someone sees me but that could take another week or so. :wall:

Am i panicking over nothing? help!

Im not happy posting that you should leave it, if you want to see a midwfife the you should be able to so I would phone your nearest hospital with maternity unit and ask to speak to a midwife. Explain whats going on and see what happens from there.
Keep us posted and remember to just ask anything on here :D

Hi hun,

Don't panic, you are not missing out on anything!!!!

You have the booking in appointment, which is all paper work and blood tests to check your blood type, check for Hep B and HIV etc, and to see if you are immune to certain things, or sommin...........

Apart from that, you have a scan up to 13wks 6 days for a dating scan, but you should be able to get this organised thru your GP if the midwife is away, he or she only has to inform the hospital of your dates and the fact you will be needing a scan (although not ALL areas offer the 12 week scan, so you would have to check this out) the rest is then up to the hospital and they will contact you before you go over the dates, even if it is by phone, so don't panic.

That's that really.....nothing much more than that! :hug: xx

Hi Shelley,

At my MW appointment - I had bloods taken, to test for Blood Type/ Rhesus test - to find if i'm Rhesus Negative/ and for Hepatitis and HIV, then had weight and height measurements, Body Mass Index, blood pressure/ lots of questions about family history & medical history, was given my own workbook of notes, lots & lots of leaflets to read through.

I think you need to see someone at some point to get it all done though, they wouldnt do it if it wasn't important, but not sure if it matters how soon/ late you go. Maybe they can do it all at the hospital - just nag them and tell them that you are worried that you have missed out on something that may be important, can they help? If they make you wait, then ask if it possible to get scanned beofre the MW appointment, and try to get referred either by your doc or just by organising it yourself.

Good luck, someone else may be of more help, as I'm just guessing x

My sister is 28 weeks pregnant and has STILL NOT had her booking in appoinment!!!!!!! That is her fault tho......although she has had her scans......but it doesn't matter how soon or late you go within reason, some people around here are not seen until 16 weeks!!

Personally I don't see the point of the notes (well I do, but they don't get used except by my MW), I have been admitted to hospital twice in this pregnancy so far and not ONE Doctor has been interested in my notes, nor have they updated them, so I still have to inform the MW when I see them or my GP, as there is nothing in my notes :wall: :wall: why do we have them if they don't use them and want us to tell them everything ourselves?!?!?!?! xx

I was chapping at the door before the pee stick was dry :rotfl:

Thanks girls,

I've just spoken to a midwife from the next area and after a lot of pushing, she's agreed to book me in for a scan in two weeks time. My booking appointment can wait till the other ones back but I feel better knowing I'm getting some sort of attention.

Good for you!!! Glad you feel happier! :hug: xx

Glad you at least got your scan sorted hun, wait till you see your little bean on screen - Amazing!! :dance:

I know I can't wait, plus I own a small ladies shoe shop and am very close to alot of my customers and I'm dying to tell them all! plus next door is a designer babies clothes shop which I'm itching to be let loose in. So once the scans done I can tell the world!

Just had a call and my scans booked for 15th sept! woo woo! :cheer:

Fabulous! Glad the nagging worked and you got booked in soon for your scan babes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back