Midwife, birth plan and back to back baby

fifi211

Reaction score
My midwife came out yesterday to do my birth plan. I am feeling very relaxed about everything which is quite suprising as I didn't have a very good experience last time. I have even said that if the pool is free I would be interested in trying it for pain relief (before I was adament I was having epidural).

So all in all everything is going really well, blood pressure - fine, urine - fine, only problem is baby has moved into back to back position. Not knowing much about this, I have been reading on the internet and kinda scared the cr@p outta myself :rotfl:

I know some of you also have this problem and would appreciate any advice, (midwife suggested getting on all fours and rocking), really want to try and avoid assisted delivery.

Paris was back to back :x So was this one but he's turned now, get a birthing ball and get bouncing, worked for me :cheer:

I find mine often goes back to back at this stage and gives me awful backache. It was recommended I kneel on all fours and rock backwards and forwards a few times a day, for about 15 minutes at a time. Or longer if I wanted. I found that doing this meant LO shifted into a better position. Whenever I get that bad backache I simply start crawling round for half an hour and lo, LO shifts.

I'd try it and see as it is meant to be good. It might take a few days of doing this, and maybe for longer periods of time, but everything I've read and been told about this seems to indicate its good for position.

Also a birthing ball is meant to be worthwhile (I read gym balls are not as big etc so don't get your hips in the correct position) as it encourages the baby into a better position.

Mmmmm :think: will probably have to invest in birthing ball

how would you know if your baby was back to back, would a midwife say? or can you tell from having backache?

The midwife told me he was back to back but I had a feeling he had moved. I haven't had a really bad back ache, more just discomfort. I think they can tell when they feel your tummy and when she listened to the heartbeat she said that if he was back to back she would be able to hear it in the same place on the other side of my tummy and she could.

Ginnymarie said:
I have a gym ball and thought it would be ok, I am quite short so hoping it is big enough.

Didn't mean to worry you by my comment about birthing balls. Just what I had read is all. Plus I am tall and the normal sized gym ball is a bit small for me :| This site is where I did my reading and my MW was the one who told me to check it out, so....

My MW told me to look out for a dip around my belly button when lying slightly propped up in bed- like you are when they feel your belly in the clinic- if there is a dip and your belly button looks sunken in, the baby could well be back to back. She said that getting on all fours would help.

i was going to say same as midwife thats the best advise i have heard so far for moving baby.

good luck hun sure baby will move for you.

marie x
34+6

You get 65 and 75 centimetre gym balls from argos. Probably from lots of other places too, I just know they do it as that's where I got mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back