• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Midwife appointment @ 39+2

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Just a little update for you. All seems to be going well at the moment and little madam has decided to remain head down :) :) :)

Just got back from midwife appointment this morning and it would appear that she is now behaving even more :) She is now 4/5ths engaged :dance:

However, what on earth does this REALLY mean? Any help would be much appreciated. Also, any ideas on how long it might take for her to fully engage and labour to kick off?

I'm having nightmares of having Christmas Dinner in hospital at the moment (as due on Monday!) :roll::wall2::shock: xxx

Yay for her being in the right place!!! :)
Unfortunately the engaging part doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to when labour will be although obviously with her head that far down, you'd hope it would put pressure on your cervix and get things going sooner rather than later! I was 4/5ths at my 39+2 and am now 1 day over and not feeling any signs.

Hi Munchkin1982 I'm due on the same day as you and am also fearing that I will be in hospital over Christmas if baby doesn't get a move on! I saw my midwife on Monday and she told me baby is 3/5 engaged, but from what I've heard on the forum babies can go from fully engaged to not being engaged at all..(they really do have minds of their own!!).

My midwife also told me that they allow you to go over a maximum of 12 days...so that would mean maybe inducing me on xmas day if nothing happens before then!!! :-(

It still means labour could happen any time or you can still be waiting a couple of weeks! I was 3/5th's 2 days before I had charley so it all happened quite quickly! Hope she doesn't leave you waiting too long! Get walking, bouncing and curry eating! x x

Im due on 17th and already booked in for an appointment on xmas eve when they will give me a sweep and to discuss induction, Im jus hoping baby comes b4 then cos really dont wanna be in hospital over xmas. x

Yay for her being in the right place!!! :)
Unfortunately the engaging part doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to when labour will be although obviously with her head that far down, you'd hope it would put pressure on your cervix and get things going sooner rather than later! I was 4/5ths at my 39+2 and am now 1 day over and not feeling any signs.

Aaawww hun, I hope it's not too long for you now... As for the pressure on cervix etc I am getting far more pressure pains on my cervix and shooting pains upwards (hope that makes sense) than I am "kicks" now which the mw said is all perfectly normal with her engaging :) xx

Ooh I know those shooting pains well!!! Lol

Last edited:
Hi Munchkin1982 I'm due on the same day as you and am also fearing that I will be in hospital over Christmas if baby doesn't get a move on! I saw my midwife on Monday and she told me baby is 3/5 engaged, but from what I've heard on the forum babies can go from fully engaged to not being engaged at all..(they really do have minds of their own!!).

My midwife also told me that they allow you to go over a maximum of 12 days...so that would mean maybe inducing me on xmas day if nothing happens before then!!! :-(

Aaawww - not long for you now either :) Not liking the sound of being induced on Christmas Day though lol :shock: x

It still means labour could happen any time or you can still be waiting a couple of weeks! I was 3/5th's 2 days before I had charley so it all happened quite quickly! Hope she doesn't leave you waiting too long! Get walking, bouncing and curry eating! x x

Wow, it did happen quite quickly for you then hun :)

Definately thinking curry needs to be on the menu even if I have it every day from now on lol.

I just love the way my mw decided to tell me to get scrubbing the kitchen floors IN FRONT of my other half! :roll: :shock: The kitchen floor is HIS job haha! xx

Im due on 17th and already booked in for an appointment on xmas eve when they will give me a sweep and to discuss induction, Im jus hoping baby comes b4 then cos really dont wanna be in hospital over xmas. x

oooohhh, I've been booked in for a sweep on the 18th if she hasn't come before then! Other than that, I've just got to wait now. And, typically, I hate waiting! :roll: x

Yep, and Lizzie likes to stick her foot in my ribs while pushing her head down there! I had to cling on to the worktop last night and breathe through it, my OH was convinced it was a contraction...even tried to tell me that I was in labour bless him!

Yep, and Lizzie likes to stick her foot in my ribs while pushing her head down there! I had to cling on to the worktop last night and breathe through it, my OH was convinced it was a contraction...even tried to tell me that I was in labour bless him!

Aaawww bless him. It's all good fun for the real thing! ;-) x

try everything, sex, pineapple,curry,walking, bouncing on a ball xxx

I'm in the same boat - due next week and could go overdue to Christmas... In my area they don't do the first sweep until you're 10 days overdue which would be Boxing Day for me!!

I saw the midwife today and I'm now 2/5ths engaged which is a good sign.

Got another appt next week and am going to ask if there is anyway I can have a sweep before Christmas Day!

Ahh I just love these xmas babys! sooo lovely , Well push those babys out girls, and your'll have lots of room for xmas dinner and noshing over xmas, I will be there for another 2 weeks all fat and round , and will be full up after one roasty pot and a few pringles !

Worst case if your in over xmas , you can call baby's Holly, Ivy, Jack Frost, Christian and get a free xmas lunch all cooked for you and served at your bed!

Ahh I just love these xmas babys! sooo lovely , Well push those babys out girls, and your'll have lots of room for xmas dinner and noshing over xmas, I will be there for another 2 weeks all fat and round , and will be full up after one roasty pot and a few pringles !

Worst case if your in over xmas , you can call baby's Holly, Ivy, Jack Frost, Christian and get a free xmas lunch all cooked for you and served at your bed!

JJ - you crack me up lol :) very true about not needing to cook but - hospital food??? lol not exactly home cooking is it haha ;-) xx

JJ - you crack me up lol :) very true about not needing to cook but - hospital food??? lol not exactly home cooking is it haha ;-) xx

I have a friend who had a son on xmas day - she reckons it was not a good thing cos her OH went home to his mum and had a lovely Xmas dinner with all the trimmings and booze and she had to stay in hospital alone and had a pretty crap dinner all on her lonesome!

I'm due next week and since yesterday I haven't been able to walk without horrendous stabbing pains in my lower back and bum. Really hoping this means lil Dixie is more engaged now (was 3/5 at 38 wks) cos I do not want to have to labour and give birth on Xmas day!

Glad all was good at your MW. I hope bubba appears before Christmas.

I have a friend who had a son on xmas day - she reckons it was not a good thing cos her OH went home to his mum and had a lovely Xmas dinner with all the trimmings and booze and she had to stay in hospital alone and had a pretty crap dinner all on her lonesome!

I'm due next week and since yesterday I haven't been able to walk without horrendous stabbing pains in my lower back and bum. Really hoping this means lil Dixie is more engaged now (was 3/5 at 38 wks) cos I do not want to have to labour and give birth on Xmas day!

I know exactly what you mean about the stabbing pains hun. Not great huh? As for my OH if I did give birth on Xmas Day he can bloody well wait for Xmas Dinner!!! Swanning off to his parents for all the trimmings and leaving me in hospital - I don't think he'd dare lol! And that's not cos I'm evil or nasty as to be honest I'd probably tell him too - he just wouldn't!

3/5 engaged? is that more or less than me @ 4/5? I'm so confused with this. Everything I read online contradicts itself. :wall2: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back