Meltdown bf

Olive

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Still in hospital after c sec Friday. Been in since Wednesday and am
hoping we'll be discharged today :pray:

I had a complete meltdown yesterday. I know its early days but I've been trying to bf Brody and it's just not happening. Nothing coming in and he won't latch. He was getting so upset and the only thing mw could suggest was hand expressing into a syringe (took me 20mins to get literally a dot).

I cried my eyes out yesterday. I felt like such a failure. I always said i'd try bf and if it didn't work, ff. But when it came to it I felt so guilty :( plus I feel like I'm giving in too early. He's hungry though. I know they say they don't need much but he was making mouth movements all the time asks breaking my heart.

He's been enjoying formula since last night and what I'm hoping, is to try again when milk comes in.

Anyone had any luck with this or been through similar?

Thanks. Xxx

I had a meltdown in hospital too, I was in for 5 days and think being stuck in there makes it worse!

We did ok with bf generally but had a really tough couple of days, we topped up with formula using a little cup and stick put her on the breast every feed. Because they don't need very much at that point we did a 20ml cup feed at tea time. Took a whole but gave me a little break to stop me going insane x

I had the same as u-a c section and baby couldn't latch onto my nipples easily. He lost 8.5% body weight by day2 :-( the issue with latching on was due to my nipples not being as out as he needed and I started on nipple shields and he fed instantly and amazingly! One bonus I had was my milk came in straight away but I know it can take 1 week to come in after a c-section. Dont beat yourself up honey, try again breastfeeding when u can xxx

I'm afraid I can't really relate, I do sympathise tho :hugs:

All I can say is that it is much easier when your milk comes in, and is worth the perseverance in those tough first days, which must be even harder in hospital. At the end of the day you must do what is best for your baby. In no way are you a failure hon xx

OK hun, deep breathes.

This happened to me and I got there in the end and BF my son for 1 year, exclusively!

He was born via emergency section after a very long and very stressful labour. He was also born tongue-tied. So with after being stuck in the birth canal for 3 hours, then the slight tongue-tie latching was pretty impossible for him. He also had the biggest cut on his head where they had tried to ventouse him out, but he was so wedged all they managed to do was almost rip the skin entirely from his head :cry:

The midwives in my hospital were no help. They tried to force LO onto me, but when they managed it, he couldn't stay on.

It was horrendous. All I wanted to do was get home.

I was begging for formula so I knew he was eating something, but they wouldn't give it immediately. They gave him some in a cup eventually.

In the end a lady from my local breast feeding advice heard what was happened and came and helped me. She got back latched. It wasn't perfect, but he was on. This was only the start of a long road though.

When we got home I had to have another BFing advisor come out and help me... don' t be afraid to ask them, they are AMAZING!!! Oz still had to have some formula in a cup to keep him topped up, but mostly he was either latched to me or snuggling with skin to skin.

Because I'd had the emergency section my milk took 5 days to come in.

In the hospital my OH brought me my pump and I justed started pumping whenever he had LO. Just pump, pump, pump woman!! Soon as my milk came in things started to get easier. I also had to have LOs tongue-tie sorted out, which didn't happened until he was 8 days old. Afte that things settled quickly.

But it's a long road to get established. It's alot of commitment and it is hard work, but just keep that baby close to you and it will happen.

xxxxxxx

Thanks ladies. I will def try again when milk comes in. I have nipple shields, breast pump everything as so want to do it. Xxxxx

OK hun, deep breathes.

This happened to me and I got there in the end and BF my son for 1 year, exclusively!

He was born via emergency section after a very long and very stressful labour. He was also born tongue-tied. So with after being stuck in the birth canal for 3 hours, then the slight tongue-tie latching was pretty impossible for him. He also had the biggest cut on his head where they had tried to ventouse him out, but he was so wedged all they managed to do was almost rip the skin entirely from his head :cry:

The midwives in my hospital were no help. They tried to force LO onto me, but when they managed it, he couldn't stay on.

It was horrendous. All I wanted to do was get home.

I was begging for formula so I knew he was eating something, but they wouldn't give it immediately. They gave him some in a cup eventually.

In the end a lady from my local breast feeding advice heard what was happened and came and helped me. She got back latched. It wasn't perfect, but he was on. This was only the start of a long road though.

When we got home I had to have another BFing advisor come out and help me... don' t be afraid to ask them, they are AMAZING!!! Oz still had to have some formula in a cup to keep him topped up, but mostly he was either latched to me or snuggling with skin to skin.

Because I'd had the emergency section my milk took 5 days to come in.

In the hospital my OH brought me my pump and I justed started pumping whenever he had LO. Just pump, pump, pump woman!! Soon as my milk came in things started to get easier. I also had to have LOs tongue-tie sorted out, which didn't happened until he was 8 days old. Afte that things settled quickly.

But it's a long road to get established. It's alot of commitment and it is hard work, but just keep that baby close to you and it will happen.

xxxxxxx

Thanks Maria. What a story. Must have been awful for you :hug:

Do you think pump will work now or wait til milk comes in? One mw last night said to massage my breasts at home to try and encourage (another had said once you ff there is no going back - they're full of conflicting advice tbh).

I will ask for more help when hv comes. There are local support groups I'm contemplating.

How did you find out he was tongue tied and how do they resolve it?

X

Good luck hon, feel free to pm me for advice, I'm a peer to peer bf counsellor and am always happy to help :)

Thanks ladies. I will def try again when milk comes in. I have nipple shields, breast pump everything as so want to do it. Xxxxx

Don't just wait for milk to come in though hun, keep that LO close to you as much as possible... and enjoy it coz they're not newborn for long :love:

I had no idea you and Oz went through that Maria! Sounds horrendous! Well done for getting on track though xx

Ive found it all easier since being home dunno if it's because im more relaxed?

Good luck and don't feel guilty whatever you end up doing. You tried and that's a hell of a lot more than a lot of people these days!

Hey Laura.
I had the same thing and mw hand expressed into a syinge cos I was too out of it to do it myself!
I gave him formula on day 2 and he has been on it ever since and is such a happy contented boy!
I thought about trying again when my milk came in but he would just mess around and not latch on so I decided to stick with formula. I felt guilty too but mw said he got the colostrium (sp) thru the syringe and that has the most antibodies etc in so that's good.

You have to do what's right for u and ur baby! Bf doest make u a better mother than someone who bottle feeds, it's just different things suit different people :hug:

I had no idea you and Oz went through that Maria! Sounds horrendous! Well done for getting on track though xx

It was the most horrific and most wonderful experience of my life all at the same time lol

My poor boy was hurt pretty bad, but that made me more determined to get BFing coz I know it would help his head :love:

Aww you poor thing, congrats on baba though, not seen your labour posts.

Bfing is so hard esp the first few days and hospital is so stressful, hang in there I barely had a drop either mw expressed a little onto a spoon for him but my milk came through loads around day 3-4, the latch can be really hard to get right so you will need support. Best advice is to relax and not stress and take your time, get your OH to listen to all the advice too as they can also be a great support and help. We have a local support group who visit you at home evey 2 days and ring you the other day, they were a massive help.

It def don't come natual or easy for you or baby, your not alone we've all been there with that stress xx

I had a similar time in hospital. I had a crash section with twin 2 and was unconscious for a few hours following delivery. While in high dependency the midwives had fed the twins using my milk (I told them before my GA I did not want them given formula, I was worried about that as they were putting me to sleep!)
So they apparently fed well while I was unconscious but when I was awake they just wouldn't latch. The midwives kept saying "I don't understand, they fed well yesterday" that didn't help. Anyway, we got there eventually but I was distraught at first. I know it's tempting to give formula but hang in there a little longer and it will be so worth it :hugs: x

I had to syringe feed D for the first couple of feeds as he was quite traumatised by the birth and couldn't latch. Eventually after a lot of trying he managed to latch and has been doing well every since. We've had 2 occasions where we've given him formula as I couldn't feed him but he has gone straight back onto the breast the next time we've tried. Good luck hun its definitely worth it x x x

I couldn't get my son to latch on, after my section. I found it hard and difficult as I crashed after the birth and they fed him formula. At every feed I tried to get him to feed and then gave formula. Its so wrong that tehy say once bottle fed they won't feed. As once I was home about a week later after a bath my son fed off me that was so wonderful but he was sick afterwards so my OH put me off trying it again with him. So he was bottle fed after that. I am going to try again after this one is born via section. But I know if I can;t I'm not going to let it get to me like it did with leo I felt so poo because of it and watching the breast is best program just after he was born made me breakdown x

Whatever you do, don't be too hard on yourself. Whatever you decide will be right for you and your LO. If you can't get him to latch, it's not the end of the world and obviously if you can, good on you girl! Just remember that as well as needing to feed him, he needs your love and cuddles and he will sense if you're upset/stressed etc. I pumped and pumped and pumped and ended up back in the ******* hospital 12 days after I had Brooke, and had to knock the BF on the head altogether. Was shit at first as was desperate to BF but don't regret putting her on formula for one second! Do what YOU feel is right for YOU - don't be pressured to do anything just because of the HV/MW's - they won't be there at 2am when your small boy is starving with hunger! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back