Schedule of milk feeds with solids?

jellyfish

Reaction score
I was hoping that some if you in the early days of solids might post your rough 'schedule'? Started DS on solids two weeks ago and about to add a second meal. But just in case he wants to drop milk feeds after this, I want to know what's best to do.

He's breastfed and our day currently looks a bit like this:

7am BF
9:15am BF
9:30am nap til 10
10:30am solids
11:30am BF
11:45am/12pm nap til 1:30pm
1/1:30pm small BF
3:30pm BF
4pm nap til 4:30pm
5:30pm small BF
7pm BF and bed (but has a few feeds between now and morning).

I don't know where wpuld be best to ad a new meal, and how his milk feeds and naps will change after this. Any tips are appreciated :D

I'd carry on and let him guide you really. I'd not plan to drop any particular feed.

I am still breasfeeding and depending on how my son is feeling, how much he eats food wise and so on varies how many and how much he has from my boobs. We started weaning when he was 5 1/2 months and its only in the past couple of weeks he has started to drop the odd feed, well more like feed for shorter periods in the day is more the case. He has dropped one noticeable feed and that is the one where he now has breakfast. He eats a bowl of porridge or something each morning and never wants that 9am ish feed now.

The other thing I notice is there is a bit of a longer gap between his boob feeds also. Not massive, maybe 15 minutes or so.

What we did was offer a small breast feed before any meal so he wasn't sitting down hungry and then getting cross or upset. Or top him up after. Rather than add a meal and not have a small feed close to it.

I'd not try to set something in stone as some days your LO will want to eat more, other days won't have any interest at all. Also remember that milk is still the main source of nutrition for the first year and not to get too het up on how much they are eating or not as the case may be. He needs to eat lots more food to give him anything close to the calories and nutrition he gets from your milk.

We started Claudia on solids as soon as she got to 17 weeks which was 4 weeks ago now. She has already started dropping breastfeeds, and I must admit I'm getting paranoid about whether she is getting enough milk!

Here is our scedule:

8am: breastfeed (used to be a long one first thing in the morning but now it's fairly short and she fusses a lot. She used to go back to sleep as well but now she stays awake)
10am: breastfeed - think she's about to drop this one as it's short and involves a lot of fussing.
12pm: Solids, usually pureed fruit and baby rice/mashed up rusk. I always offer water but it's often ignored.
1.30pm: breatfeed - again short and lots of fussing, don't think she takes much and today I skipped this one comletely for the first time.
3.30pm: breatfeed and nap
5.30pm: breastfeed after nap
6.30pm: solids, same as lunchtime
8pm: breastfeed - ususally quite long
9.30pm: top up bottlefeed before bed. Before we started on solids she would drink about 5oz, but now only takes 2oz
10pm: bed and sleeps through the night.

As I'm worried about her getting enough milk, I continue to offer her breastfeeds throughout the day, but the only ones she's really interested in are first thing in the mroning, mid afternoon and evening, I think she would happily drop the others. When she gets to 6 months I plan to go on to 3 meals a day and try and get her down a bit earlier. Attempts to do this so far have just resulted in her refusng to sleep until her 'normal' bedtime. After she's asleep I express milk to use to prepare her food for the next day, so at least she's getting a bit extra mixed up with her solids!

hey, our day looks like this,

7am - breastfeed
9am - breastfeed
12pm - 5oz bottle of formula and some lunch baby rice at the moment
3pm breastfeed usually fussy
5pm- some water to drink and some veggies
6pm- brestfeed usually fussy
9pm - 7oz bottle and booby

wakes about 3 for another feed xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.