Medela calma teats

ruby2015

Reaction score
I'm exclusively breastfeeding but trying to get my baby used to a bottle for when I go back to work. He's 6 weeks old. I started with the calma and he hated it so I tried NUK and tommee tippee- he hated those too. So I'm back with the calma having read brilliant things and being told you have to work at it. Does anyone have any advice? He screams blue murder every time we try. He took it once (drank the whole bottle) but that's it- we've tried at every feed today but he won't have it. I really love the idea behind this teat as it's supposed to be so similar to the nipple- would love to have some success!

Can't help with the calma but have you tried MAM bottles/teats? I am using them for my LO and think they are fab, they're supposed to have a 94% acceptance rate or something x

My son never got on with the calma but he did like dr Browns and avent natural teat.
I think it might be trial and error - it could be he's just reluctant to take a bottle as he prefers boob.

Have you tried getting someone else to do it? Is it breast milk or formula in the bottle? If it's formula and he can smell your milk then he's going to want what he's used to.

Hope you find something that works x

My daughters ebf. Tried her with a bottle for the first time around 3 months and she wasn't totally sure what to do at first but took the milk after a bit of helping her. That was from a mam bottle and we've tried twice more since and she's taken the milk straight away. Best thing for us is that you can do them individually in the microwave to sterilise so I'm not having to have a whole steriliser going for just the odd bottle here and there x

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you, going back to work so have had our little girl on a bottle a couple of times a week with my milk since she has been born for her to get used to it ...we bought the medula, spent a fortune on it all and she didnt take to it well. The air she was getting from the bottle was ridiculous, you could hear all the bubbles inside...changed to Dr Browns and she takes it really well. Goes straight back on the breast afterwards with no problems at all. Really recommend them

x

With my daughter I exclusively breast fed for the first 2-3 weeks then I got thrush and she started screaming and pulling away from me so I introduced the calma bottle then and she instantly took it (Tommee tippee was a disaster for her)and switched between that and breast fine I'm afraid for me there was no 'knack to it' she just took it so I guess some babies just know what they like :( she ended up exclusively express breast fed so I used the calma the whole time. There is a new one out that is supposed to work like the nipple - i can't remember the name though - I felt it was something like minibe but I may have made that up! X

Thanks so much everyone. Maybe I need to try more bottles but I fear he just doesn't want anything but boob. I just wondered how long I should persevere before switching to something else. Feeling so worried right now that he won't take anything!!!

With my daughter I exclusively breast fed for the first 2-3 weeks then I got thrush and she started screaming and pulling away from me so I introduced the calma bottle then and she instantly took it (Tommee tippee was a disaster for her)and switched between that and breast fine I'm afraid for me there was no 'knack to it' she just took it so I guess some babies just know what they like :( she ended up exclusively express breast fed so I used the calma the whole time. There is a new one out that is supposed to work like the nipple - i can't remember the name though - I felt it was something like minibe but I may have made that up! X

I've seen those advertised on Facebook, think it's minbie?

I used MAM too, they're anti colic bottles and have vents at the bottom of the bottle. Swore by them, will use again this time no doubt x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back