Measuring ahead???

Loulabelle

Reaction score
I've just been to midwife and she said I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead. Fundal height is 36cm, and Im 34 weeks today.

Does this measurement actually mean anything or is it just something they do to check baby is growing from visit to visit?

Thanks x

I was the same monday, Im 33 weeks , fundal height 35, she said it is normal to be 2 weeks either side

If she was worried, she'd refer you for a growth scan. I'm measuring 4 weeks bigger so had a growth scan last week where they found excess fluid around the baby so have been signed off work for 4 weeks and told to rest.

Yes at 28 weeks I was measuring 2 weeks bigger and my mw said that plus or minus 3 is absolutely fine so no need for concern. I also think it depends on how tightly they measure you as I had a different mw at my 31 week appointment who seemed to try and do it much tighter and she came up with 31.5 so only 1/2 week bigger compared to 2 before! x

I've consistently measured smaller (at 33 week check, was only measuring 30) and did not grow much between my last two measurements, although they were undertaken by different people. Also, this most recent time, the midwife said that Baby's head was engaged, so I would measure smaller anyway. I don't think it's an exact science.

I was 31 yesterday and I'm 29+4 but they haven't said they're concerned

x x x x

I think they measure you to make sure you are growing from visit to visit and in my experience there is not much accuracy in the measurement. I was worried throughout my pregnancy because I (and everyone else who knows me!) thought my bump was tiny. I brought it up at every midwife appointment only to be told that I was consistantly measured 2 weeks ahead. Had an emergency section at 34 + 4 and Alana weighed 3lb 4.5oz which is below the 0.4th centile for gestation.

I think they measure you to make sure you are growing from visit to visit and in my experience there is not much accuracy in the measurement. I was worried throughout my pregnancy because I (and everyone else who knows me!) thought my bump was tiny. I brought it up at every midwife appointment only to be told that I was consistantly measured 2 weeks ahead. Had an emergency section at 34 + 4 and Alana weighed 3lb 4.5oz which is below the 0.4th centile for gestation.

Yeah Kizzy I don't think it matters so much, I have a huge bump but have a feeling I won't have a huge baby lol

x

i had an antenatal yesterday and i am measuring 2 weeks larger. Midwife said there are various possible reasons but they're not worried unless it gets more than 3cms. She said it can be due to it being my 2nd pregnancy, more fluid/waters, position of baby, your build etc but not necccesarily a big baby (although sometimes it can be this but not always)... i'm going back at 31 weeks to see what it is then.. she said even if they send you for a growth scan to try and guess the weight of the baby that these are not always completely accurate. some people might just have a bigger bump!x x

Wow that is small Kizzy! At my last scan at 30 weeks they estimated baby's weight at 4lb, which they said was a little on the large side, but 3lb 4.5 at 34 weeks is tiny! Hope she is ok now! xxx

Im the opposite - just been to 31 wk appt, and im measuring at 28, which is what I should be at 28 weeks, not 31!
I know the measurements are fine, as I had a 4d scan last week, which said all was well - its just she has layed transverse the whole way through, and looks like she has no intention of changing anytime soon! Becuase of this, my mw said that it is giving a really false reading, becuase she is lying across me, my bump isnt actually getting any bigger.
Think I will prob get sent for a growth scan, just to double check....
I would much rather be measuring ahead though tbh!

Like others have said, I dont think its the most accurate way of measuring the growth - who knows!
xx

I was measuring 2 weeks ahead all the way through and my little guy was only 7lb 6oz 9 days late!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back