Measuring 4 weeks to big

karen1969

Reaction score
I went to my midwife appointment today Im 26+3 (so pls dont shout at me comeing in here I thought someone could offer more help than on tri 2) and baby measured 31 cm (31 weeks) at my last appointment at 21 weeks he measured 21 cms. She said dont worry if its the same in 4 weeks she would send me for a scan?

Dont worry haha its not you haveing a 11 lb baby maybe :( , my son was only 5lb9 term I assumed this would be the same.

I just wondered if any one else has had this and what happened.

thanns

Karen

It might be that you have a lot of fluid in there so I wouldn't panic too much :D From what I hear fundal height isn't the most accurate way of sizing a baby anyway.

I'm sure you'll be fine. My midwife said that your body won't let you grow a baby that is too big to give birth to :)

I know it's easier said than done but try not to panic! I was the opposite way-I was sent for a scan at 31+4 (or 31+3 I can't quite remember :? ) as I was only measuring 27 weeks fundal height....the scan showed that baby was actually measuring 31+1, so she was actually only 2-3 days smaller than my dates, and 4 weeks bigger than my fundal height suggested.

The midwife told me (after referring me to a consultant and an agonising 3 days between referring and scanning) how inaccurate fundal height measurments can be, right down to who does the measurments and the make of tape measure can affect results.

I just wish she'd told me there and then, as I was terrified that I had a teensy baby.

Also how baby's lying can make a huge difference, The other day I was right out the front, and enormous, measuring spot on, then she did it again when I went back later in the week for some jabs and baby was tucked to the side and I measured 2 weeks smaller :?

I think they see so many women and say the same things over and over they forget how much their comments play on our minds!

at 38 weeks i was measuring 42+, went for a scan which showed he was 8lb 5oz. went 10 days over and he was 10lb 7.5oz. in my honest opinion they shouldn't have let me go 10 days over knowing i was measuring a month ahead, i have some serious back problems because of his birth wich is keeping me off work for months

Fundal height isn't the most accurate way of measuring, but can give the MW some inkling as to what she's dealing with. :hug: I've either measured spot on or a few weeks ahead. My fundal height was 39cm at my 36 week appointment and dropped to 38cm at my 38 week appointment. Baby became engaged during that time so it's probably the reason my fundal height dropped slightly.

Don't worry hun :hug: The height can change quite a bit. Maybe your bubs has had a sudden growth spurt and you'll catch up to the height? Maybe you'll only measure 2 weeks ahead next time or something?

Don't worry xx

xx

i had a bit of a panic last week as had a growth scan and LO was estimated at 5lb 5oz already (meaning nearly 11lb estimated birth weight :shock: ) DS was only 5lb 11oz so pretty much felt like you are feeling,

my midwife has told me not to panic its not an exact science and sees that they are wrong regularly, fundel height is even less of a good estimation.

DS was estimated ''a whopper' due to fundel height last time even though I had virtually a flat tummy and he came out so small

so many women on here can vouch its not accurate.

Hun, really try not to worry about it :hug: Ive had exactly the same thing, and my LO has been consistently measured as at least 4 weeks ahead since 28 weeks, and sometimes as much as 5/6 weeks ahead! :shock: Ive been repeatedly measured and also had a growth scan, and although baby is bigger than average, she is certainly not of monster proportions! They estimated her weight to be over 4lb at 30 weeks, meaning a rough birth weight of 9.5lb or so. Ok this isnt a small baby, but to me its certainly not excessive either. :)

Fundal height measurements are NOT an exact science and should only ever be used as a rough guideline. Scans are slightly more accurate but even they have up to a 25% margin of error, so an estimated 10lb baby could be as little as 7.5lb!! :think: There are loads of things that can affect your measurments, amniotic fluid levels, position of baby, and just plain human error among them. :roll: Try not to worry hun, your body will only grow you a baby that you are able to deliver x :hug: :hug: :hug:

The ladies above have said it all, fundal height isn't accurate by any means, and if they do have any concerns you will be sent for a growth scan where any issues can be looked at, so in the meantime try not to think about it too much :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back