Meals and Milk?

Kas

Reaction score
:wall: Hiya im hoping someone can help, Kaiden is now 18weeks and is having 3 meals per day 10am 2pm and 6pm, im starting to find that he isnt taking as much milk as normal. Hes on SMA white for hungrier babies and has been since 3wks old, he still takes about 28oz per day of milk compaired to 50oz before he started having 3 meals, is this enough milk, he began to be wean alot earlier than normal. I was thinking about giving him SMA gold instead of the white to see if he takes more milk, he seems quite contented on what hes taking, also when can i start feeding him normal food instead of the baby stuff, he can take most things already as ive gave him tasters of home made stuff, im scared to change him over to the homemade incase its too rich, its all so confusing LOL XkelX

i have switched back to gold as matthew started to take less feeds which meant still waking in the night etc, he seems ok on it and slept thru last night although 50oz is a lot for him to take anyway its quite a jump down does the 28 include any that you mix with food??

Perhaps drop a meal if he is losing interest in his milk. At his age the milk is the most important thing.

I think 28oz a day is plenty anyway. Aimee has never drunk that much milk even before she started solids. I think i read somewhere that when they are on solids they should take between 17 and 27oz a day.

Hi,

that sounds fine- if not great really! At about 4 months they're still supposed to be taking at least 18-20oz milk a day so that's the minimum. Mel was a very hungry baby and at 4 weeks he was taking about 34oz of SMA Gold which decreased when we switched to the White (phew becuase his weight was going through the roof!). We had to start weaning him at the end of 17 weeks too as he was desperate for food and the amount of milk went down quite a bit. I found that he took more and more pureed veggies until the magical 6 months when I introduced meat at lunchtime and the amount of veggies went down quite a bit. I think that solid food stays in the tum more and protein stays longer than veggies. Mel has always been a large baby- at 17 weeks he was 17lbs (just below 91% centile) but I had him weighed yesterday and he was 18lb 12oz (at 26 weeks) which was just around the 75% centile so he's actually slowed down the weight gain since solids which is amazing as I was worried that he was wolfing it down and would be off the chart!

As for the homemade I started off with pureed steamed vegetables as they're not too rich for them (and it's lots cheaper!). You're supposed to avoid things with gluten (wheat, oats, pasta etc) until 6 months and also meat and other proteins like lentils and cheese etc. When he started to obviously need more than just veggies but it was still too early for the meat I increased the amounts of baby rice or instant baby mash potato that I gave him with the veggies so that he had the bulkier carbohydrate to fill him up. Basically before 6 months he had tried potato, carrot, parsnip, swede, sweet potato, banana, pear, apple, apricot, avocado, baby rice, broccoli, cauliflower and squash.

Hope this helps
+++

Thanks for your advise Kaiden is a very big baby too weight and length he was 20lb at 15/16 weeks, he hasnt just dropped from 50oz to 28oz over night just kinda dropped a 2 bottles gradually, i think il change him to the gold milk as that digests quicker, he needs his grub too coz sometimes hel wake in the morning and take 14oz at the one go, il keep a wee eye on his milk intake make sure its enough for his age and maybe start makeing him some mashed potatoes and veg and see how he goes on that he already takes fruit puree, hes still gaining weight too, XkelX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back