Maternity Leave - when?

KirstyL

Reaction score
Me again! (Not very busy at work today, can you tell!)
Well anyway, long story short, I work as a contractor through an Umbrella Company, and my current contract is due to end on the 31st May, I know you can start Mat leave 11 weeks prior, so can officially leave on the 4th May.
Was wondering what you girls thought really, would you go on Mat leave with 11 or 7 weeks left till baby due?! I’m just thinking I don’t wanna be stuck at home, bored stiff, with not a lot to do, cause when I’m bored, I tend to eat, and I’m already ballooning, haha J
When is everyone else finishing work?
xx

11 - but I hate my job! I'm gonna do my garden, the nursery, all the little jobs I put off around the house, cleaning windows, skirtings, cupboards etc And have those last couple of months to just be ME! :) x

Sounds like heaven to me hunni! Even cleaning windows and backs of cupboards is preferable to my job, lol
I hate my job too, it does my head in, it isn't busy for a start, which doesn't help, but there are a couple of people here who constantly pick! At anything and everything I do, it does my head in, constant stress and pressure is no good, but then I look at it the other way and think if I leave work 4 weeks earlier than planned, that's 4 weeks' less money, which is obviously gonna come in handy with a LO :)
xx

my advice to you is that if you're fit to work,as boring as it gets,keep working til you can cause you're going to need every penny for this baby..

I know you're totally right, if I sat and thought about it, that's the obvious answer (yeah I'm fit to work, atm), just the sooner I get out of this place, the better. x

I don't blame you ! take some paid leave towards the end,a day here a day there if you feel you're about to crack ! and make sure your mw appointement are at stupid time like 3 pm so you can leave the office at lunchtime and skip the rest of the afternoon, lol

I don't blame you ! take some paid leave towards the end,a day here a day there if you feel you're about to crack ! and make sure your mw appointement are at stupid time like 3 pm so you can leave the office at lunchtime and skip the rest of the afternoon, lol

Ahh well theres my problem you see! i don't get paid leave, coz I contract, if I'm not in, I don't get paid, so sickness, holidays, nothing, it's rubbish really, cause I've felt nothing but ill the whole way through this pregnancy :(
My MW appointments are always made for 3:45 each time, lol. Luckily I do get paid for those by my Umbrella Company, so that's something. xx

I finished a week before my due date wish i had left earlier but i cant have the full 9 months off so that would have meant going back early so i hung on as long as i could x its up to u i just played it by ear

Hi - i'm finishing 2 weeks before my due date. I am dreading being stuck at home bored and already thinking about going to my husbands business to help him if the baby does not come during the 2 week period.

I hate my work place tooo, il b going on annual leave in 7weeks time till a week before bubs is due then my mat leave will start... its a shame ur not offered leave :(
id say leave when ur contract ends x

i've been thinking about this too - fantasising about the time off to get the house ready etc. i think 11 weeks woulds be too much for me, i'd drive myself mad. hopeing to go at 32 or 33 weeks. looking forward to using up a years worth of holiday between now and then too :D

I cant WAIT to tell work Im pregnant and start telling them when Ill take maternity leave lol. My job is very physical and we lift and move things and carry trays and its very busy and Ive already got to go through middle of summer being huge so Im going as soon as I can and dont know if Ill go back
Good luck with your choice
xx

I cant WAIT to tell work Im pregnant and start telling them when Ill take maternity leave lol. My job is very physical and we lift and move things and carry trays and its very busy and Ive already got to go through middle of summer being huge so Im going as soon as I can and dont know if Ill go back
Good luck with your choice
xx

Its a great day when you tell them! lol Especially if it's a job/place you don't particularly enjoy..........

I get 4 weeks annual leave a year, plus all bank holdays so I'm taking two weeks before I start my maternity leave on 3rd may... I can't wait to spend the summer with my baby relaxing with no work stress (on little sleep too I should imagine!) I'm already planning what I'm going to do, mostly baking, gardening and sunbathing lol x

Last edited:
I work at Northern Ballet so there are some good things like seeing the dancers perform and productions coming together but aside from that its booooring but pays the bills till I can get back into mental health work again (although thats unlikely now).

We were supposed to be going abroad in July, Im so glad we didnt book it. So I might keep that week off and then use all the rest of my hols for before I have baby and do the same as you. Relax, chill out and enjoy Xmas afterwards, on no sleep lol. x

I work at Northern Ballet so there are some good things like seeing the dancers perform and productions coming together but aside from that its booooring but pays the bills till I can get back into mental health work again (although thats unlikely now).

We were supposed to be going abroad in July, Im so glad we didnt book it. So I might keep that week off and then use all the rest of my hols for before I have baby and do the same as you. Relax, chill out and enjoy Xmas afterwards, on no sleep lol. x

I'd say that would be the best thing, it may be boring but you will need your rest before the big day arrives! Hope you have a happy pregnancy x :)

I think it depends how physical your role is. I thought id be able to work until fairly late on but i was wrong!!

Im on my feet all day at work and its really getting to me now as i have horrendous back pain and the midwife has advised im overdoing it! Im leaving for mat leave week after next and ill be 32 weeks. TBH ive struggled to get this far and cant wait for a rest x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back