Maternity leave??? due after april

soexcited

Reaction score
I was just wondering when everyone was taking their maternity leave seen as we get 9 months leave now.

I'm due on june 27th, and my maternity leave starts on 28th may, so i'l be 36 weeks. however i do have 7 weeks holiday to take b4 this so i officially leave 6th april. Yay!! lol

Wow. I have a problem, ive been off work for ages now due to dizzyness, fainting, sickness etc etc and they can make me go on early maternity leave but im not to sure how soon.

According to my husband I'm on permanant maternity leave - I'm more concerned with getting his measley 2 weeks paternity leave sorted out, they have said he can have it (they have to give it to him) but are debating whether it's at the standard crappy £108 a week rate or whether he can remain on full pay - I wish daddy's could have longer off work too!

soexcited said:
Wow. I have a problem, ive been off work for ages now due to dizzyness, fainting, sickness etc etc and they can make me go on early maternity leave but im not to sure how soon.

i think it's only in the last 4 weeks they can do this, so hopefully they won't do it just yet.

i've changed jobs whilst pregnant, so i'm not entitled to any employers SMP and will only get £108 per week maternity allowance. we're hoping the bank will give us a mortgage holiday but even if they do, i will work as far up to my due date as possible so i get more time off afterwards - so i could even go in to labour at work!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yes it's only in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy that your employer can forcibly start your maternity leave. :)

My baby is due 17th July and I'm planning to finish work 2 weeks earlier on 29th June. I'll take 2 weeks holiday then start maternity leave "officially". My company allow us to have a year off - but the last 12 weeks are unpaid so I'll probably take only 9 months or so.

:hug:

My baby's due 18th August and I can't get a mortgage holiday so have to work up as late as possible so will try and work up to end of July.

I'm due 14th August and have 24 days leave to take before then, so I'm thinking probably middle of June :)

I am starting my maternity leave as of 29th June. I have loads of holiday to use too, about 15 days... BUT have a cunning plan of adding it onto the end along with some of next year's entitlement, when I am officially part time, you get twice as much leave then, i.e. only have to take 3 days holiday to get a full week off. So it works out I will have about an extra 6-7 weeks at the end, won't be going back until the end of April 08! :dance: more time with baby, I would die of boredom if I finished work too early without a baby to play with. :dance:

Nicola - not many places pay for paternity leave (that I know of), my DH is debating whether to take his 2 weeks SMP and add a weeks holiday to have 3 weeks off. I hope he does, but it all depends on how his bonus pays out on whether we can afford it or not :pray:

I am hoping to take maternity leave from me being 36 weeks, but i have 4 weeks holiday to take before then so i guess i will be off work from 32 weeks wahoo.. :cheer:
Im not sure who i will get my pay from though as im still not 100% how it all works, i started in this job about 4 weeks before i fell pregnant, i have had time off due to being ill in this pregnancy and they have said if i take more time off they will fire me, :oops: so im having to go in to work even when i feel so ill.. its not nice
Can they do this and can anyone shed any light on who might i get my maternity pay from..
:wink:

if they fire you for being pregnant you can sue them as it is illegal discrimination! I don't think it matters how long you have been with the company for with the new leglislation, the DTI website is a good source of info.

hi topbird, i have read in the new maternity rights that they are not allowed to use sick time off when your pregnant in the time you are ill.. if that makes any sense, im going to tackle this if and when i have to take any more time off, i have only been off once due to not being pregnant yet they are including all time off..
Also i have to book all my appointments 4 weeks in advance which is very hard especially as i near the time when i have to have regular appointments as they do the rota's every 4 weeks, when i ask to swap or change myday off due to having an appointment they get shrty about it.. i am within my rights arnt i to go for appoinments.. just asking so i know.. sorry im thick..

topbird said:
I am starting my maternity leave as of 29th June. I have loads of holiday to use too, about 15 days... BUT have a cunning plan of adding it onto the end along with some of next year's entitlement, when I am officially part time, you get twice as much leave then, i.e. only have to take 3 days holiday to get a full week off. So it works out I will have about an extra 6-7 weeks at the end, won't be going back until the end of April 08! :dance: more time with baby, I would die of boredom if I finished work too early without a baby to play with. :dance:

Nicola - not many places pay for paternity leave (that I know of), my DH is debating whether to take his 2 weeks SMP and add a weeks holiday to have 3 weeks off. I hope he does, but it all depends on how his bonus pays out on whether we can afford it or not :pray:

Go carefully with this TopBird. I was told I had to take all 30 days of my holiday entitlement BEFORE I left in July. When I asked if I could take it next year they said NO. So I bargained and eventually struck up an agreement to take half of it and get paid for the rest.

:hug:

Hi Sabrina,

It is OK to add it on the end where I work, a girl who I work with is on maternity leave at the moment and has added 5 weeks onto the end of hers by using her 2006 entitlement... will double check though as you have me thinking now. Seems too good to be true to me.... after readng what everyone else is doing?

Sorry Sunshine - I don't really understand what you mean in your post about sick leave?! Can you not make your appt in advance and give who ever sets the rotas a list so they can work round them, or make an agreement to have appt in your lunch hour/ beginning/ end of the day where distrubtion is minimal?

Yes, I don't mean to worry you (or anyone else) but I have found even though my employer is very good they do need a gentle "push" at times. I don't think it's safe to assume anything here... I always ask! :D

my work went through my maternity and when i can take it can even work up to my due date also which i might do i havnt told them yet when im taking it. If she sent form off tehn i wait for it to come through post hope this week then go see her when shes gets back from hol and sort it out then.I only work 15hrs per week so i can work very close to due date as i feel fine atm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back