Mat leave and mortgage

Status
Not open for further replies.

candymycandy

Reaction score
Sorry this isn’t really the appropriate place for this question but posted in finances and don’t think it gets much traffic so trying here instead!

So, DH and I are relocating this year to be closer to my family. The house is going on market in a few weeks time. We are going to be looking at applying for mortgages in the next month. The issue is I am currently on mat leave. My pay drops to smp in May (i think) and then 3m after I get nothing and then my year is up in October. I haven’t got a job lined up in New location yet nor will my employer (government) offer a transfer. So my question is - will mortgage lenders still take my current salary into account when offering a quote or will they disregard since it’ll be zero in a few months and I haven’t got a job secured (even though I will be getting one in new location). Hoping to have moved before I’m due back at current job but will go back there if not. Also, Really struggling with the logistics of applying for new jobs when we can’t guarantee a move date?!

Thanks and sorry for ramble! x

You normally need to be employed (and been in same employment for a set period of time) for it to be taken into account. Best to see an independent mortgage adviser as they will be up to date with what is on offer and will be able to suggest suitable products.

Totally agree it is so much easier to apply for jobs once you are in your new location as you never know where you may end up! It is less stressful too rather than thinking I need to be in by x so I can start work, plus you can get the house sorted how you want it, unpacked and decorated etc. If finances allow I would choose that way.

Thanks for replying snowbee. We’ve now reasoned that we will likely have to move in with my parents first and apply for a mortgage once i have a job. Not ideal but a means to an end and will make things so much simpler. We can get a decent house on just DHs salary but obviously a bit of an upgrade with mine too x

I was a single mom with two kids and pregnant. I was living with my mom, but I needed my own place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back