Mastitis agony

Nanc

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
I have now been breastfeeding for 12 days, and although it was fine at first it's turned into a nightmare and I am
In tears during feeds. My baby cluster feeds, which means that while feeding normally at night and mornings, she feeds every 40 mins from 3pm - 9pm instinctively apparently, to ensure a good milk
Supply for morning. Unfortunately this is leading to too much milk and innsyarting yesterday, in mornings my boobs are engorged and I have mastitis. I have got antibiotics. The only way to reduce the milk is to let her feed but each time is agony. I am still trying to look after my stitches after episiotomy but this is making me really miserable. I am feeding her with tears streaming down my face and wishing I was bottle feeding.

Anyone else had this and got through it? I need a light at the end of the tunnel xxx

Hey Hun so sorry to hear you are suffering! I hope it gets better for you soon. No experience myself but could you maybe express some milk to relieve things? Maybe in the morning when they feel v full. Obviously this won't reduce your milk but if she will take it from a bottle later on it might give you a break xx

Both my mum and her sister got through it hun xx This is my first so I haven't had anything like that yet, but just thought I'd share that they both managed to keep feeding through, and were ok xx

If you're really struggling though hun I would go back to the doctors xxx Also maybe try some cold cabbage leaves to ease the pain xx :hug: xx Hope you feel better soonx

Sorry that you're suffering, can't offer any advice as have been lucky so far. My mum suffered with bad mastitis and yes the best way to clear it is to keep feeding, she was like you in tears at every feed, but it does go. My LO is 5 months on sunday and it gets easier, they get alot more efficient at feeding and your breasts will settle down, for me though this did take about 2 months xxxx Nobody warns you how draining BF will be, but honestly in the long run it's worth it xxxx

Thanks girls... Have tried expressing Jodie, good idea, but she refuses the bottle point blank so am worried it will just cause more milk production.

I only intend to BF for 3-4 months as I am going back to work, so if it's a nightmare for that long I won't get any enjoyable time with her.

I only intend to BF for 3-4 months as I am going back to work said:
Everyone's experience is different, you may settle right into BF a lot quicker than me and Oscar did, we didn't start out well because he was tongue-tied and was basically solely cup fed for the first couple of weeks. Perservering is the best choice I made though. Enjoy having your baby in your arms as much as possible while you can because they grow up so quickly and aren't newborns for long xxxxxxxx big hugs and just know that whatever you decide to do is right because if you're not happy then baby won't be happy and if you do decide to bottle feed there's nothing wrong with that at all xxxxxxx

I agree with Maria hun - do whatever is best for you but if you can get through this bf can be lovely xx

Poor you, it might be worth just expressing enough so they are not rock hard, that way you shouldn't encourage an increase in supply. Stick expressed milk in the freezer for now, LO might not want bottle now but you can keep it in the freezer for up to 6 months. I know it feels never ending now but it does get better, for me it was at about 3 weeks old.

im so sorry to hear this ur situation sounds exactly like mine did i had a rough labout ended up having a tear and episiotomy urrrghhhh decided breast feeding was best and worth a try...so did so..didnt get shown in the hosp how to breast feed and got cracked nipples...then mastitis...i remember crying too and gripping the sofa in pain. it does get better, u prob just got to ur lowet point in breast feeding, i did when i had mastitis, :( many av said put cabbage leaves on the affected breast apparently its really good- look it up perhaps? uv come this far.......ul be so proud/chuffed when u get over it esp if u continue breast feeding, many are unable to however. continue to feed on the affected breast it gets better much quicker.... hope this helps chin up =)x

oh no I feel your pain :( I di dnot have mastitis but similar to the others, a lot of pain and cracked nipples and such frequent feeding at the start. Keep feeding trough it and it will get better. It is worth the hard work but do what you think is best. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back