Low Amh, High fsh, & Tamoxifen ?

Star33

Reaction score
Hi ladies, i have been ttc for just over 2 yrs now, & i have had the usual tests as well as my husband & my husband is fine. I appear to ovulate as i use opks & get a positive each month but just cant get caught. I went & had a word with my consultant because i wanted some answers. He give me 6mths worth of clomid & i never got pregnant, so i went back to see my con & he booked me in for a hsg, which was all normal & a ultrasound which was normal.

I had fsh & lh & my results was quite high! my fsh was 8.2 & my lh 7.3, i know they have to be under 5 to be quite healthy so i was concerned, so my con done a test called AMH which checks your ovary reverse. I dont know how it works but it tells you how good your fertility is, my amh has come back at 7 which is classed as low fertility, although my dr, said i can still get pg according to him ladies have become pg with less than 3 amh result.

I am 32 & class myself as still young, people have babies at 39 dont they ? so i was heartbroken to hear this. I have been given tamoxifen as the clomid made my lining thin & cm thicker, tamoxifen makes the lining thicker & cm thinner & works just like the clomid. I can feel twinges from my ovarys so hopefully there doing the trick. I started taking them on saturday cd 2 & i finish on cd 6 which will be tomorrow. Then one can only hope i get caught pregnant. Its so frustrating! i have 4mths worth of these tablets then he cant do anything apart from ivf he says which is very expensive. Has anyone here been on tamoxifen or had a Amh test ?

X

Last edited:
Sorry honey but I haven't heard of them. Im currently on clomid so dont know much about this. Just wanted to say I hope that it does the trick. Xxx

Hi Star,

I have had the AMH test, I too have high FSH and LH, I have these tests periodically over the last 2 years with my FSH comming back at various levels from 5 - 18 and my LH usually stable at around 7-9. I went to see a private doctor in the end as I couldn't get the answers I needed from the NHS.

The private doctor completed an AMH test, this cam back 0.07, so undetectable. I had been trying for 5 years and very frustrated at this point. Having been under the NHS consultant for 3 of those years I was never given clomid or any other help. They just continually repeated the tests, I had also had the HSG and abdominal scan a number of times.

Given my very low AMH test, I will need an egg donor IVF to fall pregnant, this is not available on the NHS (infact no IVF is available in my county) as you said this is very expensive! My low AMH along with FSH has lead to a diagnosis of premature ovarian failure.

My private doctor, also said had the resulat been above 5 he would recommend freezing my eggs then having IVF. If only the NHS had offered me this test, rather than me having to go private!!!!!

I am about 6 weeks from starting the IVF, having my sister as the egg donor.

Can't be much help to you, but if you have any questions about the test etc please fell free to ask. Hope I haven't alarmed you with my situation.

Hiya, thanks for posting. Am sorry to hear of your result :( but thats great news that your sister has offered to donate her eggs to you, fingers crossed for your ivf hunni.

I am also under a private dr so its all money isnt it, cause you got to pay for your consultation too. My result is 7.2 at the minute but will decline, i asked how far i was from menopause & asked if i will be in that phase by the time i am 40, & according to my dr he said no way, so am pleased with that, just hope now that these meds work & it makes my eggs stronger.

My dr did however mention that if i dont get pregnant after 4mths worth of tamoxifen then to do ivf. I plan to adopt if i am not successfull by march next year. My dr said he has had patients with 1 amh become pregnant but i often wonder if thats by ivf & not naturally trying, i never asked. :wall2:So this amh does it tell you how good your egg quality is ? or how many you have left.

See what i find confusing is, the month before i had the amh test, i had a ultrasound scan on cd 17 & i had two follicles, 1 of 19mm on the right side & another on the left at 16mm, however i never got pregnant that month so am wondering if my egg quality is poor. I was told to take high doses of antioxedents so i am taking vitamin E 400mg. This is suppose to make good egg quality. All confusing isnt it. As well as very sad. X

Amh is an estimate of how many eggs you have remaing but my doctor also explained that body naturally uses the high quality eggs first so the low result can also be a reflection of the quality.

I also looked into adoption, we felt we needed to try Ivf first. We are both 27 so felt time is on your side. Its awful the Nhs do not prvide this kind of treatment across the whole country. In my situation I blame them to a certain extent for me going around in circles for 3 years especially when there is a history of early menopause in my family.

Hi babytreasure. That makes sence, it's just so confusing how a simple blood test can tell how many eggs you have left or the quality of the eggs isnt it ? I cant get my head around it. Age isnt on my side too, i am 32, so its a race isnt it, :( ah bless, they do beat about the bush these nhs hospitals, thats why i moved to a private clinic cause i felt i was not getting any satisfaction & being told to keep ttc on dozans of months of clomid prescriptions.

I was never scanned either during my clomid cycles on nhs you know :shock: my private dr said i should of been monitered because i could of over stimulated got somthing called ohss or somthing. I had IUI at my private clinic which never worked. So i just hope it works out for me, or i am going to adopt next year.

Got my fingers crossed for your ivf hun. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back