looking to get a flat once baby is here,what to do first?

Miss.Monroe

Reaction score
just a quick question to anyone who has done this:

Im living with my dad, but need to get out as soon as baby is here. Went to the council whilst pregnant, because im under 25 and classed as 'single' as baby isnt here hey i was offered a one room rent, which meant sharing a kitchen and bathroom with strangers. so i have tollerated living out of my bedroom at my dads.

I was told as soon as baby is here and i have registered her birth i can go back to the council and try and get somewhere for us to live then. Just intrested in peoples experiences or if anyone plans to do the same once their baby is here. i feel the more i know about it the easier it will be to get things going.

cant you go on the list for now and then when the baby is born take in your babies birth cert which will up your points

id get on the list asap though as the longer youve been on it the more chance you have of getting somewhere

Oh thats horrible! :evil:
When I was pregnant with my first, i was given my own flat!
Who in the world would want to be pregnant and living in a place like that with strangers? Sometimes the council have no clue!
:wall:

Am currently living all over the shop, with OH sometimes, nan sometimes, friends etc but plan to do the same,go to council when babys here and say can u find me somewhere, if not il find somewhere near OHs family hopefully and il get housing benefit, wont i ???

Well we got on the list just for being there for now as we managed to stay in our house for now but had a officer come to inspect the house yesterday to see if it was "sutable living conditions" (we work as bands here gold, silver or bronze) well she came in asked about the damp we had mentioned seen it, asked what kind of heating we had....we dont have any heating so she said that should make us a silver at least and then showed her the bedrooms which pretty much finnished her off! We live in a 20 by 15 foot chalet. Its unsutible she wasnt very impressed and is getting us housed asap.

You could stay with your dad till your babes born then get him to write you a letter to give to them saying hes unwilling to home you and your child and he wants you out within 2weeks. They will come and probs want to speak to your dad but get him to just be dead angry and keep going on about wanting you gone and they will or should find you a house.

i think i will phone the housing options officer and make sure i am on the list, im pretty sure we did fill out something to be put onto a list, but im not 100% sure.

My dad wont be willing to co-operate and help me! Even if it means me getting out quicker. he likes to make things difficult for me. :wall:

its just frustrating knowing i can do nothing untill she is here. it feels like im wasting time. :roll:

Thats pretty ridiculous that they won't do anything until the baby comes. like you need the stress of moving with a small baby.

I suppose it depends on how your local council allocate houses. Round here you get points and then you bid on houses each week and the person with the most points gets each house. It never worked for us though. At the end of 2006 we were given homeless prioity because we were getting evicted from our rented house. It still took 6 months before we had a bid accepted but in the meantime we had been able to get a mortgage and buy an ex council house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back