long feeds = soft nipples and difficulty latching?

Robyn_mcl

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had this issue & can offer advice.
When bubs has Ben feeding a while and my boobs and nipples soften bubs us strugglling to latch. When I'm engorged and nice & hard he latches much better, as soon as I start to go soft with soft areola he pulls back, pulls off & struggles to latch again. I keep swapping sides, but when he's cluster feeding it makes no diff.
I have considered nipple Shields for when we are having this problem but I'm worried he starts to rely on them. Is he struggling to latch coz he's got nipple confusion with the couple of bottles I've fed him?
He's def putting weight on so know he's getting enough but or feeds take us ages because of this issue.
I've also tried getting more areola in his mouth (I have quite large areola) but he gags. Hv has checked tounge tie, his pallet and for thrush, all ok.
Any help would be much appreciated.
X x

Maybe he needs something harder to latch on to. I'd give the nipple shields a go. Confusion is a very rare thing, babies adapt wonderfully usually, we used shields for 4months before
My LO got the hang of latching right. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I would recommend shields too.... I don't fully believe the whole nipple confusion story tbh. C needed shields for two weeks after his tie was snipped to help him latch and he was fine. Xx

Hi, I am an old returning member currently taking the LLL course for breastfeeding support. Nipple confusion is very real for some babies and yet others do not mind as long as they get fed! You mention you have given a couple of bottles, is that a regular thing? The only reason I ask is because they do not have to work anywhere near as hard for the milk to come out of a teat as they do the breast....so frustration could be the reason he is popping off after engorgement has gone down.

Do you have a support group near you? You could always pop in and ask someone. I know HV's are trained people but you would be surprised how many of them do not have in-depth or up to date knowledge on breastfeeding. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back