Desperate and ready to give up

Lyndsey

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I think I have had enough. :cry:

Logan has been feeding every hour since birth. During the night this extends to every 2 hours He has had a fabulous weight gain 11oz and 10 oz most weeks and seems to be a very alert baby. This has kept me going until now. The trouble is he isn't latching on properley and I am sore.

I have been to a breastfeeding councellor and we have tried varous techniques all of which help but my nipples are long and they make him gag when he latches on properley so he pulls himself off. so until he gets bigger I am to put up with the pain. a one point I got him off and reattached him 50 times and this just stressed him out not to mention me feeling shite. ( he will latch on properley but then pull back so that he is at the end of the nipple and feed like this)

I have been told this is what little babies do and it will get better and that this is just cluster feeding or its a growth spurt but he has been like this since day one and we are now nearly 6 weeks down the line.

He is either feeding or asleep. When he is awake he cries and he has bad colic too..... I am at my wits end and I really don't know what to do. I would love to carry on breast feeding but I am so depressed right now I just want a break. I have tried to express but it is so difficult when Logan is constantly feeding there never seems to be the right time....

Someone please give me soma advice on how to cope..........

Have you tried nipple shield they might make it easier to latch on and take some of the strain off u

yes nipple sheild could really help you.

As for the cluster feeding, Olivia is just the same, if not asleep she wants a feed, it only now thats she is sleeping at night for upto 2 maybe 3 hours.

Olivia and I are having problems in the evening, my milk seems to slow down in the late evening and she really stresses and gets upset, it has been like this for 2 weeks so I am getting some fenugreek which helps up your milk supply.

Hunny it will get better, some take longer than others, maybe if you increase your calorie in take, he may have a much fuller feed giving you longer between them.

Take a deep breathe, sit down and relax :hug:

awwww lynsey, sorry u have been feelin like this but it does get better :hug:
id definitely give the nipple shields a go, i had them on standby with Jamie when I got sore as well as the nipple cream!
as for the feedin all the time, it gradually eases up but i know its hard at the time.
try oats for ur milk supply too, a bowl of porridge after dinner should make ur supply better for the evening feeds
:hug: :hug:

Thanx guys

my calorie intake is shocking at the min. I just don't have time to eat! I know that sounds awful... I am going to make a real effort to eat more.

The nipple shields sound good I will try them tomorow.

I have just rang a support line and they suggeted the shields too ( that way not all of my nipple will go in his mouth) they also suggested that Logan was feeding for comfort ( based on his amazing weight gain!) So I shouldn't feel too guilty about offering a dummy occasionally.

I think that I will try and get out of the house tomorow as he always sleeps in he car and in his pram ( at least that way I get a bit of a break)

:) Awww Lyndsey welldone for perservering and wanting to keep going :hug:

I highly reccomend porrige its great stuff :D

Hi Lyndsey, just want to say you are doing a great job, it sounds like hard work but the great weight gain shows just how good your supermilk is doing for baby so now its time to look after you too! Definitely start eating porridge oats (that's my secret weapon for power pumping :lol: ) Also try and have some handy snacks, nuts are ideal (not peanuts if you are BF) as they are calorie dense but nutritious and can be eaten with one hand. When I first started BF and knew I'd be alone I'd make saniches and keep them in the fridge and have big jugs of squash so I drank loads too.

Definitely get out for a walk it will do you both lots of good. remember the beginning is like a constant growth spurt but now you are at 6 weeks things will calm down soon.

I hope you have a good weekend :hug: :hug: :hug:

i used sheilds as last resort. i then started to have trouble with my supply according to midwife these were to blame?? so i gave up. good luck youvw done really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back