Long career break

mermaid

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I'm starting to think about returning to my career now the little man is 1. Trouble is, I really want to be with my son but I'm worried about my career and prospects having been out of work for so long.I really don't want to miss out on him growing up but I will be unemployable if I leave it too long!

Have any of you been in this situation and what did you do? Advice would be great x

What do you do? I would have thought that it depends on what industry your are in / what you do as to how much impact a long career break would have.

I'm a Newly Qualified Teacher but thinking of doing a return to teaching course.

Could you go back to work on a part-time post somewhere? I know some schools will do it, depends on the local authority I think. At least that way you could perhaps work half days or a couple of full days and still be with your son for the rest of the time. It's so difficult to leave them when they are young, even for a few hours so I would suggest anyone try part-time first before jumping straight back into full time work.

Once you're happy with it you can always take on more hours, knowing you are happy with your childcare and your baby is looked after. This way at least, you get the best of both worlds - time with your son and also career.

Thanks, yes that makes sense, i don't want to miss out on all those firsts and have someone else enjoying him. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back