Logans too big : (

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Rah! I had to stop breastfeeding at 11 weeks (well, supplement with formula until he decided he preferred the bottle) cos Logan lost weight and fell from the 50th centile to the 2nd. (he was born on 75th)

Now he's 20 weeks and almost on the 98th centile and almost 20lb. The hv (who's not my normal nice one) made me feel like I'm making my baby obese by overfeeding and wants me to introduce solids when my normal hv's back off hols in a couple weeks. I feed him on demand, he's taking 9oz of hungry baby every 3 hours during the day and sleeps 6-9 hours at night. I don't have a problem introducing solids but have been holding off because I thought it would be healthier for him to get closer to 6 months, especially as he has ezcema so is more likely to have food allergys.

I can't believe he's gone from one extreme to the other, it makes me feel rubbish :(

He is NOT too big, tell her to eff off! Stanley was 20lbs at 20 wks and I worried like you.

He's still up on the 90-sommat centile but he's not at all fat. Some children are bigger, that's all. Don't wean until you are ready.

:hug:

Just ignore her - they are never happy

I've been getting it in the neck since day one as Finlay has never been on any of the lines in the stupid chart. He's finaly on one now (can't remember which :lol:) and she's shut up! I've been doing my best and the car crash I was in didn't help so I had to switch to bottles

U are doing great!

Aaaaw hun, what a horrible HV!

We have the opposite problem he was quite big at birth 8lb6oz at 37wks now he's tiny at only 14lb7oz at 5 months! He's gonna be just like DH tall and slim... his jeans are too big around the waist but much too short on his legs!

He's your baby, you know him best so carry on doing as you are x

Hiya hun.

Dont listen to stupid HV. Im sure they only exist to annoy us Mummies and make us feel poo!

James has been off the charts in terms of weight since he was born. He was on the 98% percentile at birth and went over the line by about 3 bars from 4 weeks on. He was taking about the same amount of milk as Logan.

I did decide to wean early but that was because he was showing all the signs of wanting more and he started to need feeding nearer 2 hours rather than every 3. But that was my decision based on me knowing my baby so if your happy to keep him on milk then go for it. Your his mummy and you will know when he is ready.

The HV is talking crap anyway. Its pretty much impossible to "over feed" a baby on milk. They are demand fed and if you give em too much they just :puke: :puke: it back up!!

Do not worry. As Minxy said, some babies are just built bigger than others. I challenge any HV to manage a hungry bigger baby and not feed them what they want when they are screaming blue murder cos they are starving!! She clearly hasnt got a clue silly old trout.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks girls, you've made me feel better. This nutrition thing is a sore spot for me and I'm sure the breastfeeding failing and him losing weight triggered my pnd.
I hate that HV, luckily she's just relief cover so only appears when someones off. My usual hv is fine.
She said him being too big will make him crawl and walk late but I'm sure thats rubbish as they normally burn off loads of weight when they start crawling anyway.

TBH I don't really know what to do about weaning. I having been wondering for the past couple weeks whether he is ready for it, he is taking a lot of milk, and stares like mad when he sees us eating, but then he's sleeping so well at night, I'd have thought he'd have woken up more if he was wanting something more substantial. I always thought early weaning was more likely to make them put on weight than lose it :think: I really don't know what to do for the best :? I do get the feeling that he's getting bored of milk. He does seem a lot more whingy the last few days, but then I think his gums might be sore.
The pnd makes it harder as my head feels muddled and I can't trust my own judgement as much as I normally would.

What a load of old balls (hairy ones :rotfl: )

I wish HV would think before they opened their gobs because they really do have the knack to make mothers dount themselves and feel like shit.

MM if you think logans fine and showing no signs of wanting to be weaned then dont do it, every lickle person is different.

20lbs is a lovely weight for a 4 month old and my son was around the same and he was very healthy and a very big lad as well and still is, but isnt over weight, hes big boned.

Logan sounds like hes thriving and your a fab mummy and you have done this before darlin, dont doubt yourself!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx kisses and hugs hunni

Up yours meanie heath visitors!!!

I'd try him with a bit of food and see how he goes - Finlay was 4 months when we started

If it goes crap then stick to the milk but he'll be fine! Finlay was killing himself to get our food (still does tbh )

Imogens just the same plus she has the added advantage that she stands up and cruises the furniture until she gets what she wants and I let her have it at the mo too keep the peace. (her tantrums are unreal!)

I was just looking at James' red book and noticed that Logan now weighs the same as James did at almost 9 months! :lol: I started weaning James at 22 weeks.

I think I might try Logan with some baby rice tomorrow and see how he gets on. It might cheer him up, he's been a total whinge bag today! He's got very good head control and can sit upright with a bit of support so I think he'll cope with it ok :think:

What a cow, you should complain about her as she has no right to make you feel like that esp as you have PND. As Jen said you can't overfeed a baby with milk so she clearly doesn't know what she is talking about.

My friend's LO was 10lb at birth and off the charts after that, he started crawling at about 8-9 months and at 11 months he is cruising around and has started to move down the charts since moving. So that part is crap too.

I started weaning Ella at 5 months as she was desperate for it - but was still sleeping through and not really demanding that much more milk. She took to it really well and it was absolutely the right decision for us. The leaflet that my HV gave us said that most babies are weaned before 6 months and that anytime after 4 months is fine. I think that the 6 month thing just gives us another thing to beat ourselves up about.

:clap: :clap: :clap: for getting as far as you did breastfeeding :hug:

Awww muppetmummy how crap of the HV to say that. I think your LO sounds like he is doing just fine :)

FWIW Galen is now 4 months and check ticker as I stopped working in weeks now so forget how many days :lol: :roll: :doh: :oops: His last weigh in at 17 weeks he was 17lb 6ozs :D I am breastfeeding him but HV tells me weight gain in BF babies is generally less than in formula fed ones. So Galen is a bit of a whopper also :lol: He'll be close to 20lb at 20 weeks and I'm not worrying about it.

Glad you decided to take no notice of her. Also as she is not your usual HV I'd really not worry about anything she says :lol: I tend to only really listen to the 2 regular HV's at our clinic. Any temp ones I tend to not bother talking with about LO.

Take no notice of them hun you know best your his mummy and i really think its a no win situation with the hv as i have the opposite problem with dd being 12lb 4.5oz at 5 months.

As for the wean or not to wean debate i will join you on that one as im undecided on what to do about that i was hoping to get nearer to 6 months but now im not sure :think:

I would try him on baby rice and see how you get on. :hug:

I'm going to give him baby rice this afternoon, if he's not interested I'll leave it for a few weeks and stick with milk.
Thanks for all the replies :hug: :hug:

I gave him a few baby spoonfuls of baby rice with his last bottle and he seemed quite interested. He sat upright in his highchair to eat it and was all smiles. Most of it went in his mouth rather than over his face :)
Will give him a few more spoonfuls tomorrow afternoon and see how he goes.

Glad his first experience of food went well!

Just wanted to say that i saw earlier in the thread you were worried that he would gain more weight with food. I found the opposite with James - that it really leveled him out because the food enabled him to stay fuller for longer hence he needed less food than he drank milk and therefore was nowhere near as chunky.

There was a thread about weaning early a while back and i posted some pics of James to highlight the point. This is it..viewtopic.php?f=55&t=86963&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

It did get a bit heated so dont be put off by the debate!! These things are very topical and some people dont always agree with all methods but dont let that put you off what you think is right by your baby. :D

thanks for that link, it does look like Logan is similar to your James and would benefit from weaning, I will keep him just on baby rice for the next couple weeks till I speak to my normal hv about introducing other stuff :)

I have no experience of this (we have given DD rice 3 times now over the last few weeks, more for the fun of it than for weaning) but my friend was saying yesterday that baby rice is yuck and her DS much preferred baby porridge. I have no idea if this is a personal thing or everyone finds that.

ditto what Jen said...Ted was the same, levelled off...and he's a big babber... :hug:
Trust in your inner mummy, you know best...sounds like you're doing a grand job :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back