Letting agent fees?

Flame

Reaction score
I remember someone saying that they are a letting agent or work for one?
I was just wondering what the normal fees are that you pay to a letting agent when you want to rent a house as i believe that my brother is about to be taken for a ride with the fees.

Anyone got any ideas on the average fees?

Thanks

Hiya - I'm the Letting Agent *puffs out chest then ducks to avoid anything that may get thrown*

Standard fee's depend on the area - we have a Referencing & Adminsitration Fee which is £80 + VAT (£94.00) per applicant (to be detailed on the Tenancy Agreement) - we're in East Midlands so cheaper than in say London for example. EDIT: Just noticed you're in Nottingham - we're Derby - who's the agent (PM me if you like).

Deposit is usually either one months rent or one months rent plus £100 depending again on the agent.

First months rent is paid on the day you move in - should really be in cleared funds (cash/ bankers draft), and is paid monthly in advance.

What kind of fee's are they asking? :hug:

Hi

Thanks for replying Emmylou. That is what i thought they would be but my brother has been told its

£100 - to take property off the market
£595 x2 for 1st months rent and deposit
£100 - For keys
£280 - for checks

I think that is it all the ones he said.

I think this is stupid money! Since never when i have rented in the past have i had to pay for keys before or that amount of money for checks.

£100 for keys & £280 for checks!!! In the words of the nan on Catherine Tate - what a f*ing liberty!!!

Sounds like a p*ss take to me!! The admin fee (to take property off the market) & the deposit etc all sound fine though.

Is the £100 for keys a key deposit - i.e. will they get it back at the end when the keys are returned?

As for the checks - some of the agents charge for an inventory check - but I would have thought that would be £150 tops (& usually cost shared between tenant & landlord) - £280 is a joke to me!

Think he should check out what other agents will charge, has he got his heart set on that property though?

Apprently he does get the money back for the keys as long as they are "taken care of" :? does sound a little odd to me though, surely if you loose keys you get a new set recut?

He and his mate claim that they have checked other agents and they are the same or more but i dont believe him, he doesnt like to be told he is wrong.

I dont think it is a house he has his heart set on even though it is a nice but small house, i think it is more a quick move thing cause he is still living at my parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back