Leg cramp during pregnancy

suzan

Reaction score
I am 4 weeks and 1 day today and like after ovulation I just keep getting this feeling of cramping in my legs from thighs to toes. I used to get it before my period comes, which was a sign, but now, it's most of the times there.. omg is this normal? i asked my doc if its normal and he said yes but just wana know if anyone faced this.

I have done some reseaches where one made me not to worry where the second did make me worry!!!!!

Below are the info about both cases:

One: Made me worry:
In babycenter.com I quoted this:
What if the pain persists?
If your muscle pain is constant and not just an occasional cramp — or if you notice swelling or tenderness in your leg — call your practitioner. These may be signs of a blood clot, which requires immediate medical attention. Blood clots are rare, but your risk is higher during pregnancy.
Source: http://www.babycenter.com/0_leg-cramps- ... ncy_250.bc

Second: Didnt make me worry:
Leg Cramps
At different times during your pregnancy, you might have cramps in your legs or feet. This is due to a change in the way your body processes, or metabolizes, calcium. One way to prevent these cramps is to make sure to get enough calcium through nonfat or lowfat milk, and calcium-rich foods. You also get some calcium in your prenatal vitamin, but you might need to take a calcium supplement if you don't get enough through your diet. Talk with your health care provider first about taking calcium supplements.

You can relieve leg and foot cramps by gently stretching the muscle. If you have a sudden leg cramp, flex your foot towards your body. If you point your foot to stretch your leg, the cramp could worsen. Wrapping a warm heating pad or warm, moist towel around the muscle also can help the muscle to relax.
Source: http://heartspring.net/early_pregnancy_symptoms.html#8

Any input??? :roll:

I have a history of blood cloths so anything like this i always call NHS direct - give them a call and if you are still unsure speak to the on-call doctor - even if to just put your mind at rest. Let us know how you get on x

tots hope said:
I have a history of blood cloths so anything like this i always call NHS direct - give them a call and if you are still unsure speak to the on-call doctor - even if to just put your mind at rest. Let us know how you get on x

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! u r scaring me!!!!!!!!!!! blood clot how??? I dont understand.. where would that blood clot be?? in my uterus?? does it hurt my baby? :cry:

From what I remember blood clots tend to start below the knee and usually your leg swells and you have pain in the muscle etc at the back. It can then move upwards through your leg. They are not common and tbh, I'd not be panicking about them just yet. Clots are from what I recall only in one leg at a time. I can't remember ever reading about one in each leg at the same time.

That you have cramp like feelings from top to bottom of both legs could be a nerve problem somewhere in your back maybe. It could also be any number of reasons, possible circulation related. Might be worth going and lying down and putting a pillow under your lower legs and seeing if that helps your circulation.

I think sometimes reading so much online can be more worrying then reassuring. You read one thing and it sounds not too bad, then it leaps to something else that sounds terrible and really frightening.

If in doubt, stop reading articles online and worrying yourself and call NHS Direct and discuss your symptoms with them, or go see your GP and have them check you out :)

Thanks Sherlock!!

I dont have any pain in my back!! This cramp its not but a light one.. it feels as if my legs are tired.. actually i am not worried about it as I used to get them before my period arrives.. like some people get back pain before AF? well I never used to get back pain but used to have leg cramp that would let me know that AF is on its way. This is still the feeling I have. It would probably be that some stuff is happening in my uterus and its affecting my legs and stuff.. I wont worry about it much... the doc told me not to too!

suzan said:
Thanks Sherlock!!

It would probably be that some stuff is happening in my uterus and its affecting my legs and stuff.. I wont worry about it much... the doc told me not to too!

Don't forget your body is having to do an awful lot of work in these early weeks of baby growth and pumping blood round to baby is hard work. Until the placenta takes over the work, your body will struggle and you may well gets lots of niggles and tiredness. Your legs might suffer circulation problems as the blood is going to extra places.

By 'at the back' I meant the back of your leg. But again, please don't panic. You maybe thought I meant your actual back :)

I think that not worrying is good. If you have a pain in your lower leg and it swells up, and slowly that moves up your leg, then that could be a possible clot, but please remember these are rare.

As your pain seems to be in both legs and cramp like, I'd be putting it down to baby and your body working hard and therefore your legs are getting the raw deal atm.

Hopefully you can relax a little bit :) I know its a worrying time, I can sympathise completly as I had niggles and concerns, but most of the time there are reasonable and logical explanations for what is happening to our bodies at this time.

:hug:

Btw, I see you are in the Gulf, so I am guessing you have a different medical set up there. Do you have a British Doc to see? I didn't think people from overseas used the local services so to speak. But I guess that depends on where you are based. I had friends in Bahrain and they lived on a special site only for people from overseas. Own shops, own doc etc when there.

The first quote that you put up mentioned blood clot - thats where i got it from. I dodn't mean to worry you sorry. Like Sherlock said your body has a lot to deal with so it could just be that. If you are worried call your GP but it is more than like;y to be normal pregnancy stuff. If it will give you a peace of mind call NHS direct they will be able to reassure you

Sorry again if i worried you x x

Hi Suzan,

I never had cramps before I got pregnant and now from about 6 weeks I wake up and I have cramp, or I have mild pain in my legs (like muscular pain) during the day - there have been 2 days so far where I've been limping because of it.

With me, it really feels like cramp or a muscular injury so I'm not worried - and I checked it out with my doctor and he confirmed it's nothing to worry about. So don't panic! (esp as you have seen a doctor!)

Good luck xxx

i dont usually get cramps either but over the past few weeks ive had bad cramps in my arms and legs. i also get pins and needles quite a lot now, in my legs, feet and hands, it goes on for that long it ends up being quite painful. the midwife said thats quite common though and not to worry myself

HI Susan

I cannot offer any help with the cramping although i have had cramping in my right buttock :oops: and lower right tummy.

But i just want to say hi :wave: :wave: :wave: because i am 4 weeks and 1 day today to but really scared by baby is not sticking so i daren't even say it and beleive it incase i tempt fate but i just wanted to say hi :wave: :wave:

Other than cramp how are you feeling (i am really bloated which is annoying)

LMP x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back