Left Side

Jellybaby

Reaction score
I have heard/read somewhere that when you are pregnant you are not supposed to sleep on your left side, anyone know why??????

xxxxx

I think it might be because your major organs ie heart are on the left side :think: My grandad used to tell my mum if you feel sick lay on your left side :think:

Old wives tales I think hun :)

Its not true......the advise after about 16 weeks is not to sleep on your back if you can help it, but sleeping on your side is recommended and definitely not discouraged :)

EllieBelle said:
Its not true......the advise after about 16 weeks is not to sleep on your back if you can help it, but sleeping on your side is recommended and definitely not discouraged :)
Thanks EllieBelle. That's what I wanted to ask, actually. I'm glad I can still lay on my back at this moment. My sides were killing me :shock:

I have been told that its best to sleep on your sides. Especially your left side as that aids better digestion. Doesn't help me much as I have two very dodgy shoulders that dislocate when I lie on them but there's not a great deal I can do about that now.

Oh well I suppose it's getting me ready for the sleepless nights ahead..!

Funnily enough your left side is the best to sleep on - see below:

During your first trimester, get into the habit of sleeping on your left side. Sleeping on this side benefits your baby by maximising the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta. It also helps your kidneys to expel waste products and fluids from your body more efficiently, which in turn reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands.

You can sleep on either side though, just the left is best!!

It's not an old wives' tale - there is medical reasoning behind it, but you won't do any damage by NOT lying on your left side. Being comfy is the main thing!

Some doctors specifically recommend that pregnant women sleep on the left side. Because your liver is on the right side of your abdomen, lying on your left side helps keep the uterus off that large organ. Sleeping on the left side also improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys. Ask what your doctor recommends — in most cases, lying on either side should do the trick and help take some pressure off your back.

But don't drive yourself crazy worrying that you might roll over onto your back during the night. Shifting positions is a natural part of sleeping that you can't control. Most likely, during the third trimester of your pregnancy, your body won't shift into the back-sleeping position anyway because it will be too uncomfortable.

If you do shift onto your back and the baby's weight presses on your inferior vena cava, the discomfort will probably wake you up. See what your doctor recommends about this; he or she may suggest that you use a pillow to keep yourself propped up on one side.

ETA - I misread the OP - the left side is definitely the best side to sleep on, so the opposite of what you've been told is true!!

Interesting...seem's my grandad knew his stuff after all :D

my mum's always said to lay on your left side if you feel sick too, i just took it as an old wives tale, but its got me through my nauseous spells lol.
ty for the info chopsie, ellie & two! :)
xx

I've started lying on my left side and I seem to get a better nights sleep, might just be me but works!

x

I have started to sleep on my left side as it was recommended!! Sleep better I think

x

Yep my book says the same, lay on the left to keep the uterus off the large organs and the get the best kidney function going - which to me means more weeing in the middle of the night :think:

Sod's law: I've always slept on my left side and since I read the same thing in my book I'm having trouble sleeping on the left now :roll:

I've actually reached a point where laying on my back is comfy but when I move the pain makes me not want to lay on my back ever again. :talkhand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back