Lacking in iron...?

Christina1979

Reaction score
Hello!!

I am feeling really weak today and have noticed the usually pink bits around my eyes are really pale and so are my gums...

Could this be a lack of iron?

Hubby has said he will buy and cook me a nice steak tonight...

Think I dont eat enough red meat :(

I'm not that sure hun but did you not get iron tablets of your doctor at 18 weeks...I thought they were supposed to help you get enough iron for baby?

Hope u feel better soon :hug:

:shock: no didnt get any iron tablets :shock: didnt know i was supposed to...

havent seen him much though - do they just assume u will turn up at 18 weeks and ask for them then???

I do take pronatal vitamin everyday which has iron in it...

worried :(

i didnt get iron tablets either :shock: Are we supposed to ...? :think:

I'm sure it will be fine :)

i went to my 12 week scan and they give me a letter to give to my gp and he prescribed me iron tablets for 18 weeks and protein testing sticks from 23 weeks??? I have them already and soon I have to start taking them.

Maybe phone the doctor and ask if you need them??

xo

klee1988 said:
I'm sure it will be fine :)

i went to my 12 week scan and they give me a letter to give to my gp and he prescribed me iron tablets for 18 weeks and protein testing sticks from 23 weeks??? I have them already and soon I have to start taking them.

Maybe phone the doctor and ask if you need them??

xo

Be careful trying to swallow those protein sticks!! They're tough little buggers......................................sorry I'm being faceitious :)

Be careful trying to swallow those protein sticks!! They're tough little buggers......................................sorry I'm being faceitious :)[/quote]

Tee hee :lol:

I'm just taking the Pregncare tablets...Not been told about any extra iron either tho

x

I am just taking sanatogen pro natal, which contains 100% RDA of iron, I think you need loads of extra iron once you get to 28 weeks or so, and they prescribe you iron tablets then BUT be careful cos apparantly they make you really constipated!

You can get a powder from Boots that is a natural iron supplement, safe to use and doesn't have the nasty side effects (can't remember what it is called but it is usually in the same place as the vitamins) I have a few friends that used this and said it was v good.

Also you don't have to eat red meat to get iron, bran flakes and ready brek are both really good sources of it.

Never heard of protein sticks and thought that the midwife would only prescribe iron if you needed it due to the fact too much can make you constipated?
It must be another one of these things that vary depending on where you live.

I'm taking pregnancare tablets (when I remember :oops: )

I thought it was pretty standard...maybe they actually prescribed them for me as I was low in iron. And protein has something to do with kidney infections, doesn't it??

I had a kidney infection...so maybe that's what they are for. They didn't tell me if anything was wrong though...only gave me the letter for the gp so I thought it was standard??? :? :?

aroundsixteen weeks, each pregnancy ive had ive had blood tests that show my iron levels. Both times ive been given them.

::::INPORTANT NOTICE:::::

in my last pregnancy i didnt take the iron tablets, well i did for abit but then forgot about them, didnt think they were 'that' inportant etcetc..
well... THEY ARE. When i went into labour, there was a massive panic because my iron levels where "shockingly" low. and they gave me 2 tablets right away. I lost ALOT of blood, and very VERY needed a blood tranfusion. (i was 8.1 after labour and they said if i drop to 8 they will give me one. i had to stay in hospital longer too)

so be told! take em ladies! god knows i am this time round!!! lmao

The blood count I had done at my 16 week midwife appointment came back ok for iron levels. My pregnacare tablets contain over 100% of the RDA for iron so it must be thanks to them

I haven't had any bloods taken recently :?
Only at 10 weeks....and thats it.
I have a scan at 20 weeks and my next midwife appointment is sometime in Jan so I probably won't get more taken until then!!!

ive alwasy taken pregnacare too. i was having dizzy spells in my last pregnancy so they tested me for anemia and all came back ok. Pregnacare is the only suppliment ive ever take while preggers so it must be keeping my iron levels ok. My blood pressure on the other hand is crap, lol. Too low apparently. :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back