Labor and Epilepsy

Phillipa

Reaction score
Hey ladies, just wanted to see if there are any other pregnant epileptics out there and how they coped with it during labor.
My neurologist has prescribed me with a drug called Clobazam, which is a mild sedative from the same family as Valium and Diazapam.

Back story of my Epilepsy is more or less simple, had it all my life, my triggers are stress and sleep deprivation and I've been seizure free for nearly 4 years now. I take 3000mg of Levitiracetam daily and have never had any issues with it.

My neurologist has suggested that I take Clobazam should I start labor in the early hours of the morning and again during the labor should I not get any rest etc.
I'm pretty good at controlling my stress but more concerned about the lack of sleep. How did anyone else deal with it and were there any complications with the labor?

I'd really like to have a natural vaginal birth if possible but understand that may not be possible if I happen to have a seizure.

Just looking for some advice and any experiences 🙂

I don't have epilepsy but talk to your midwife hun she will be able to help you come up with a plan on how to deal with it and what should happen if you do have a seizure. At least then you know there is that plan in place if you do have a seizure so it's less to worry about.

I would suggest following the instruction of taking the medication. Labour is a stress on the body, hormonal cascade etc. Unmedicated labours can cause tonic/clonic seizures. Perhaps hypnobirthing would be a good option for you as well :)

I don't have epilepsy but talk to your midwife hun she will be able to help you come up with a plan on how to deal with it and what should happen if you do have a seizure. At least then you know there is that plan in place if you do have a seizure so it's less to worry about.

Hi, thanks for replying 🙂
My midwife knows about my epilepsy and we have discussed my options and potential circumstances should I have a fit during labor.

Princess81

Hey, I've heard some people mention hypnobirthing but don't personally know much of it. Will have to have a nosey about it, thanks 🙂
I have no plans to change my meds, and have made sure I'm stocked up with them in my hospital bags.

Glad your midwife has gone through it with you hun and good plan on staying stocked up on your meds in your hospital bag

Yeh if it’s well managed it should be straightforward from a seizure point of view :) x

I also would highly recommend hypno birthing and possibly even a doula to keep you as relaxed as possible throughout :)
Have a look online and see if you can find other fellow epileptics with experience, I'm sure there are many willing to give advice and share their stories with you.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back