just so much pain!!

lottielou

Reaction score
Hey ladies. Im new here. And if im honest totally floundering!!. My little girl is 3 days old. Ive struggled with bfing for the past few days. At first i was getting the hang of it latching on was taking a lot of practising and was causing some pain as i hadnt quite got it. But now my milk has come in properlythey are huge and so so sore. And ive got blisters. Ive tried hand expressing a bit before the feed. And it works.!! But the pain is unbareable and i cant hardly bear to feed her. I really think i should express nd bottle feed !. And am just so sore.im concerned that im doing the wrong thing and feel like a failure. !! Any advice pllleease!! Xx

Do you have a breast feeding support worker or a midwife to check that she's latching properly? Just to rule that out. And also ask then to check the blisters. Does the pain continue throughout the feed or is it bearable after say 10 seconds? At first I found it incredibly painful, but if close my eyes, count to 10 and it would be ok-ish! Everyone tells you it shouldn't hurt if you're doing it right, but I asked them to check so many times and I was doing it right but it bloody hurt!! I think it just takes a while to get used to, for your nipples to toughen up. Have you got any nipple balm? If so put that on after every feed and it does get better, honest!!x

I found it very painful to begin with- as J_Anne said, it can be painful with the initial let down sometimes, and then wears off? I used to really have to grit my teeth at the beginning of a feed, then it would settle down.

Do you have Lansinoh? (Nipple cream). It is a breastfeeding essential! I started off using a Boots own cream, which did nothing. Lansinoh, on the other hand, although expensive, is worth every penny- it really helps your nipples recover between feeds.

You can also try nipple shields- they may just protect them whilst they heal, allowing you to keep going. Lots of ladies on here have used them, and found them helpful.

Don't get disheartened- it is still really early days for you both, and you are both still learning. Unfortunately, it's not one of those th hings that comes easily right at the beginning, and it does take a while to get into it. You will get there. :)

Hi, I can't really add much more then the ladies above have said - very good advice. Breastfeeding is hard, and it doesn't come naturally to some women. You have to work at it. Which is what I found difficult. I didn't realise it takes time for you and your baby to get the hang of it. It does hurt at the beginning, my nipples got so sore I nearly gave up but I didn't. I stuck with it and slowly each feed got easier. Seek as much help and support as you can Hun.

Definitely speak to a BF support worker or MW. It will be painful for the first few days or weeks. I constantly asked for support in the first couple of weeks and now I feel like a pro! Don't be afraid to ask for help xx

You sound a bit like me when I was breastfeeding my first. I went to breastfeeding clinic and they were great, however it turned out my latch was fine.

Sometimes it just does hurt like hell. And it takes time for the nipples to toughen up. The first three weeks were pretty bad for me, after that it got better and only hurt for the first 5 seconds of latching (I think my letdown was quite painful) and after a couple of months it was completely pain free and I was a pro :)

It was all worth it, I tell you. I ended up breastfeeding for 13 months and I'm so glad I had the support from forums and the clinic. Without them I would have quit within those three weeks.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Can I suggest giving yourself a 24hr break and express each feed. It still hurts a little whilst expressing but not as much and keep smothering your nipples in lansinoh. Expressing for 24hrs will not hurt your feeding at this age they will still remember how to latch. I take it you lo has been checked for tongue tie by health professional? As others have said get all the advice you can.

Don't be afraid to give yourself 24hrs of expressing, With my first I was bleeding by day 4 from both nipples and crying at each feed with pain. My bf support worker said to express for 24hrs and bottle feed and they healed enough to be bearable. I won't lie and say it was pain free but I did not cry at each feed.

It is early days, be good to yourself you are doing brilliantly.

Boaz

This has really helped me!!!

Gona express for the next 24 hours and hope my nips heal soon! Xxx

The girls have covered it but just wanted to say your doing fab and it does get easier. Xxx

Just wanted to reiterate the above. I breastfed my LO for a full year in the end but at the start I didn't know how I would keep going. I'd be in tears when she cried for a feed because I knew how much it would hurt! Keep trying hun, I promise you it does get much easier! X

Good on you for persevering. You'll be so pleased you did, a little further down the track. Check out this link on the difference in ingredients between mama's milk and formula. You're doing the right thing and you should be proud of yourself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back