Jabs... To calpol or not to calpol? That is the question!

So_hopeful81

Reaction score
Well guys... We have come to the unfortunate '8 week jabs' day! I hate these injections for my little people!!!

My question is, should I give 2.5 mls of calpol 1/2 an hour before or not? I always have with Imogen, and now I have found advice not to online! I'm confused!
What are your opinions? Xxx

I bought some just in case he spiked a fever afterwards and he never did. I wouldn't bother to give calpol first no.

I never gave Vince any, he was quite grumpy after the first set and I was prepared to give him some Calpol if his temperature rose, but it never did.

I'd wait too x

I gave to Oz after each set once his reaction kicked in, but not before taking him in case he didn't need it. Unfortunately, every set, he had a bad reaction so did need it!!

max has his ones tomorrow and i have been thinking the same ! so will keep an eye on this

xxx

We didnt have any reaction either but I guess if your LO had one the first time, you could be on a look out for it? The 2nd jabs are the same as the first plus meningitis aren't they? In which case could they have built up some immunity already?

I was told by the GP that there is some research that shows if you give calpol before injections then the immunisation may not be so good. I don't think there is a huge amount of evidence for this, but the medical profession therefore no longer recommend calpol pre injections. I didn't but Emily reacted quite badly to btw 8 and 12 week ones. I'm dreading the next batch, but still don't think I'll give her calpol unless absolutely necessary.

Oh my, I'm properly dreading these now.... I hope it doesn't make Tilly worse!

i'd wait til after, as my lo's reaction came 4 hours later - so if you had given calpol before she wouldn't have been able to take it again!

good luck!

I gave Theo some calpol about 3 hours after his jabs yesterday as he spiked a temp, I had him in a vest all day too. He seemed ok, was a bit grouchy but slept a lot after the calpol and had lots of cuddles with me! Xx

we have ours today too, dreading it, im just going to wait till after and see how he goes. x

We have ours today as well so v useful thread!! Dreading them!!

My Dr said not too if at all possible as it reduces the effectiveness of the jab, but obviously give afterwards if your lo needs it.

I was lucky as Angel was absolutely fine after all of them but I was always told not to give paracetamol unless it's necessary and to monitor their reaction afterwards and then decide whether or not to use it x

Ive given my little girl calpol before her second set of jabs as she was really bad with her first... i didnt realise it was dangerous :(

We had to give Cam some after his first set as he got a temp. The others were fine though x

I was told by the GP that there is some research that shows if you give calpol before injections then the immunisation may not be so good. I don't think there is a huge amount of evidence for this, but the medical profession therefore no longer recommend calpol pre injections. I didn't but Emily reacted quite badly to btw 8 and 12 week ones. I'm dreading the next batch, but still don't think I'll give her calpol unless absolutely necessary.

This is right. When immunising children we no longer recommended giving paracetamol unless a fever occurs. Here is a link from the NHS Choices website which explains about the study.

Ive given my little girl calpol before her second set of jabs as she was really bad with her first... i didnt realise it was dangerous :(

Don't worry, it isn't dangerous, it's just not recommended in case it lowers the effectiveness of the jab. Your little girl receives multiple doses of the same immunisation, there is nothing unique in the second set, so I'm sure it won't cause any problems. She's already had another dose of everything at the third lot of imms.

Last edited:

Don't worry, it isn't dangerous, it's just not recommended in case it lowers the effectiveness of the jab. Your little girl receives multiple doses of the same immunisation, there is nothing unique in the second set, so I'm sure it won't cause any problems. She's already had another dose of everything at the third lot of imms.

Ok thanks, ill just remember not to do it for her 1 year ones!

Sorry for gegging in on whoevers post this is!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back