IVF on the NHS for recurrent miscarriage

Gizzy Kelly

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I normally post in LTTC section. I am asking this question for a friend of mine who has been TTC for nearly 3 years and has had 3 miscarriages. She has been told that she cannot get IVF on the NHS as techincally she can get pregnant?

That does not sound right to me? I wondered whether anyone can help in this section on IVF on the NHS?

Thanks

Gizzy xxx

Hi,

She won't be able to get IVF as she is able to get pregnant. What she will be able to though is go for tests for her miscarriages. I have 4 (2 this year alone) and I have been to London for testing because I can get pregnant, I just can't keep hold of them.

Hope this makes sense? Tell your friend to ask her doctor about being referred for testing.

Lee-Ann x

I was told when i first went to the RMC clinic that they are checking for problems that may mean that IVF is the only option, but as all my tests came back ok, yes, you just get told to keep trying and IVF isn't the answer. In a way its frustrating, and I have considered going for at least one private consultation to get another opinion on this.

Your friend should at least be having the standard RMC investigations now after 3 mc.

Hi Gizzy,

I was told the same as fliss - If there had have been an issue with my egg viability or with mine and OH's choromesome compatibility then IVF would have been the only solution.

To be far they didn't say if we'd get it on NHS but I assumed we would have?

Like fliss all our tests came back OK (we actually got BFP the day before we got the test results!)

Has your friend been referred for testing?

xxxxxxx

Hi Gizzy

At my consultation with the RMC in London they told me that they were testing me for Lupus anti-bodies so I have been told different than the other 2 ladies but she should definitely ask to be referred for testing.

I was also told that for 1-3 miscarriages there is a 40% chance that it is something random but 4+ the percentage goes down to 20%. It may be they can test her and find something wrong.

Good luck to her.

Lee-Ann x

I was at the rmc after 11 miscarriages. I was told that I would be entitled to ivf on the nhs, even if my tests showed up that there wasn't a reason for the miscarriages. In the end, I couldn't have ivf as I had a chromosome problem.

I find it strange that so many areas are different in what you are/are not entitled to! Surely if you've been ttc X amount of time with no baby then you'd be entitled to the same help as others who are entitled?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back