I've officially decided where to have baby

Hazel

Reaction score
I was going to have baby in the nearest birthing centre which is a 35 minute drive. After going to the antenatal class and looking around the delivery suite I felt a lot happier about going to the local hospital if it was needed.

After thinking about this a lot I've decided to have her in hospital which is only 10 minutes down the road. There's been a few girls on here recently that have had to have emergency c sections so it does happen.

My reasons for the birthing centre were totally selfish (I wanted a water birth and DH to stay with us the first night) and I would never forgive myself if something were too happen that could have been prevented if I were in a hospital as an ambulance would have to be called to transfer me from one town to the other meaning a delay.

I will be able to spend time in the bath to help with the pain in the hospital and they have lots of drugs there which I might be grateful for on the day :lol: .

I've been trying to make this decision for 9 months now so glad I've finally decided.

If you are happy with that then :)

FWIW true 'emergency' C sections are not commonplace. Many still require an average 30 plus minute prep time from when they decide on it. So in that time you could be transferred from a MW led unit and be taken to theatre as soon as you arrive at hospital. More or less the same wait time whatever hospital you are at, just would be transferred from one to the other. MW's at the MW led unit would transfer you as soon as they felt the need to so no risk would be taken with your health or that of your baby. And things usually happen much more slowly in a first labour so any potential problems should be picked up in plenty of time.

I faced all those things when considering my homebirth (we live 40 minutes from the main hospital), so I understand where you are coming from. I still opted for homebirth :) I trusted my MW to tell me if I needed to transfer and to make that call as early on as she could. Never needed her to and my homebirth was absolutely fine :) I was in the place I wanted to be, in water with my OH and I truly believe that made for a better more relaxed labour. Being in hospital did not inspire me with confidence hence me opting to stay at home. I'd had a good pregnancy and baby was in a decent position :)

Glad you have come to a decision, I totally respect your reasoning.

I had a fairly easy birth last time but then had complications afterwards, it was touch and go and straight into theater for me with no delays once they had spotted the problem. So this time (although a home birth sounds lovely) I just cant chance a repeat preformance and even though I live less than 5 miles from my hospital I am going to the hospital again, for me its just too selfish to do anything else, what with a OH and DS to think about too.

I think the key is its different for everyone, there are no right and wrong ways/places to give birth, you just have to be happy with your choice and be in as much control as you can be :D

A birthing centre is being built at my local hospital at the beginning of next year so the next one will be born there. I know the local hospital quite well but have never been to the other place.

It's the possibility of problems and being transferred that puts me off, I will have it in my mind the entire time and just want to be somewhere I know I will be staying.

Also not "planning" on staying in any longer than necessary :pray: .

We did consider the home birth but I could be here whilst my drunk noisy neighbours are having their regular parties so I wouldn't be relaxed :( .

Above all else is that baby is ok so for me hospital is where they have all the equipment they need if there is a problem.

Aww I'm glad you made a decision that you are most comfortable with. I think it's important to be content with your choice which it really sounds like you are :) Good luck, we don't have long now! :shock:

It's taken a long time to decide but happy with decision now.

I did want a home birth as only 10 mins from hospital but as neighbour problem thought there was no point in getting up tight about it.

Just going to hope I have her early in the morning so will be out by the evening then :pray: :lol: .

That's great news! Glad you made a decision and feel really good about it. It helps to have the worst part of pregnancy (labour) planned - well, can you ever plan a labour?!?! :lol: Makes you feel a bit better about waiting for the time to come I guess!

I've always planned to have Evie in hospital but would like to stay at home as long as possible with the pains as hospitals scare me and whilst I can cope with the pain, I'll try to stay at home.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back