I've had my scan & I'm smiling!

Wow what a good scan pic. Is really nice and clear. I'm so happy for you hun :cheer: :D :hug:

Fantastic news!

The 'patch of blood' looks to me like a subchorionic haematoma - it looks remarkably similar to my scan, plus the other pics that I've seen of SCHs. All that means is that there's a blood clot near the sac. There are a couple of risks with it, so you should take things easy. In most cases, the haematoma resolves itself, either through bleeding out or being reabsorbed. I've been bleeding every day for the past three weeks, but the amount each day is gettig smaller, and most of the time it's just a bit of spotting. Recently I've also been passing fibres and clots, which is quite scary, but it's very obviously clots of blood and not anythign to do with the pregnancy. The main risk is that the haematoma grows instead of shrinking, but they'll monitor that at your 12-week scan. Even then, it's not necessarily a problem, unless it pushes the placenta away from the uterus - and if they didn't tell you that the haematoma was behind the placenta, then that's probably not a risk for you!

There's not a lot of knowledge about what causes them, but it's thought to be during the formation of the placenta, probably by the trophoblastic cells attacking the wall of the uterus too aggressively, or the connection between blood vessels not quite being made.

I've found that activity increases the bleeding, and I've been told not to exercise for the time being. Just to warn you!

btw - don't want to shatter your illusions, but the 'spontaneous conception' is as opposed to 'assisted conception' - i.e. it wasn't IUI or IVF, which might make them aware of other potential complications!

:clap: glad all is well hun with you and the baby xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back